2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Steering and suspension

09-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Jim Chance
Rep
Drives: 2000 540 6 speed

Steering and suspension

I have a 550i due in 2 weeks to replace my E39 540i msport. I am worried I will be disappointed with steering and handling, but at 142,000 miles the E39 needs to be replaced.

I would appreciated it if people would post what options they have that effect steering and handling and their opinions on the steering and handling of their cars. Options effecting steering and handling would be sedan/wagon, sport or msport, dynamic handling, optional wheel size, and according to some people sport auto. How comfort, steering and handling vary with settings would also be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
smhoer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335 Vert 2008

Your best bet is to use "Search" There are lots of threads about the different options with opinions all over the place. The only true way to tell is to test yourself if a local dealer has the options. Way too many differing opinions to reach a decision without driving yourself. Good luck.

Soon to be retired - ED 2008 - 335i Convert, Space Grey/Coral Red/Grey Poplar, Sport :
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

I loved both the 535i and 550i steering... no sure what people are complaining about. its got the feel of the road, and its very communicative while shifting. its not soft like GM or super hard like porsche.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
You already ordered the car and it's due in 2 weeks. What's done is done. The only other cars that can do what you car can do is the Porsche Panamera, Cadillac CTS-V, Jag XFR, MB E63. We'll throw out the Caddy and Jag, for so many reasons, none of which I care to repeat.
The Benz and Porsche are both over 100k, and both are uglier than a 550i. Aside from the Benz, no one has a longer and storied history of making sport sedans than BMW 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
fireman550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
You already ordered the car and it's due in 2 weeks. What's done is done. The only other cars that can do what you car can do is the Porsche Panamera, Cadillac CTS-V, Jag XFR, MB E63. We'll throw out the Caddy and Jag, for so many reasons, none of which I care to repeat.
The Benz and Porsche are both over 100k, and both are uglier than a 550i. Aside from the Benz, no one has a longer and storied history of making sport sedans than BMW 5 series.
+1. Truly well put.

I have the F10 550 and before purchasing it I test drove the Jag XFR and I have driven a couple of cadillacs and my friends E class. None of these felt as complete as the F10. I let three friends drive the Beast and this is the outcome: One is arguing with his wife because he wants to trade in both of the family cars for the F10, the second traded in his 3 month old 2010 Nissan Maxima for one, and the third just put his first house purchase on hold till he decides which he wants more.

Yeah.... Its that nice......
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Jim Chance
Rep

Can still cancel

I am pretty sure I can still cancel if I get something else. I am thinking about a 3 series and Suburban instead. I guess I will wait until in gets in and decide then. If I had my wish, it would be for a new E39 540 just like my old one.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

I don't suppose anyone but you can say whether you will like it or not, what I can say is that the suspension is infinitely superior (tho softer) than prior 5's. If you like a stiffer suspension, there are springs available to give you the feel that you want. The SLA up front lowers the center of gravity over past models and keeps the tires less off camber from the older struts. The car is heavier but the suspension swallows the extra pounds and the car sticks corners better than older 5's. Tires are key of course, don't know what packages you have, but 19" wheels and good rubber will more than keep you happy.

Steering, well that's somewhat subjective. I love it, think it's as good as I've driven, and that included two Lotus cars in the past.

The steering feel is different, no argument there, but there's years of work in programmable electric assist power steering. Take a look here, it's Renault but a quick search will bring up work from basically all car makers. BMW's implementation is very good, some take to it immediately, some after driving it a bit, and there are some that refuse to believe that it's anything but crap.

Hope you enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Drive. The. Car. Yourself.

BMW CCA # 493835
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

If you like a tighter drive and don't need alternative modes (eg comfort), my suggestion is for you to take M sport suspension. For tightness, take a 19 inch wheel for generally smooth roads. Remember to get the 2TB option (ie with the toggle switch) with sport transmission whatever the case.

There is no problem with the steering, in terms of numbness. It's not as heavy as the 3 series and my preference is for something in between. Imo people are confused that a stiffer steering means a sharper one. There is also none whatsoever, numbness on center or off center. Neither is more/less numb. For people who complained about this, I do not know whether it's due to IAS, his steering is faulty or it's "popular" to complain that the electric assisted steering is not as sharp.

Of course, yes need to check out the car first as suggested by others.

Last edited by bm323; 09-13-2010 at 02:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
There is no problem with the steering, in terms of numbness. It's not as heavy as the 3 series and my preference is for something in between. Imo people are confused that a stiffer steering means a sharper one. There is also none whatsoever, numbness on center or off center. Neither is more/less numb. For people who complained about this, I do not know whether it's due to IAS, his steering is faulty or it's "popular" to complain that the electric assisted steering is not as sharp.
I'm getting a chance to try an F10 530d with Adaptive Drive next weekend, my garage has one coming up from BMW's fleet for me to try. So will get a much better chance to try all the configurations and make a much better judgement on the cars. I'm certainly not one who likes to complain for complaint's sake, I just want the best setup I can get before I part with my money.

I'm booked in to try the new F11 touring as well, (Saturday's launch day in the UK) so will have a chance for some more back to back driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm getting a chance to try an F10 530d with Adaptive Drive next weekend, my garage has one coming up from BMW's fleet for me to try. So will get a much better chance to try all the configurations and make a much better judgement on the cars. I'm certainly not one who likes to complain for complaint's sake, I just want the best setup I can get before I part with my money.

I'm booked in to try the new F11 touring as well, (Saturday's launch day in the UK) so will have a chance for some more back to back driving.

HighlandPete
I definitely didn't have you in mind when I wrote the above, and await your update
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #12
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I have a 550i with all mentioned suspension and performance options.

To summarize Gato's great reply ... the car is a dream.

If your considering a 3 and a suburban instead of a 550i, I think you made a poor decision to buy the 550i as an owner of a 550i would rather walk then drive a 3 and/or a suburban.
      09-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhoer View Post
Your best bet is to use "Search" There are lots of threads about the different options with opinions all over the place. The only true way to tell is to test yourself if a local dealer has the options. Way too many differing opinions to reach a decision without driving yourself. Good luck.
The been discussed to the nth degree. Volumes of comments have been posted here and on Bimmerfest. Please use the search function then post when seeking information.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
Jim Chance
Rep

Takes me awhile to get to know handling

It takes me a surprisingly large time to get to know how a new car handles, like several days. It seems that I have to drive it on my everyday road too. I have driven the new 5 series a fair amount, maybe an hour of wheel time. I have not noticed any bad habits, but really have not been able to test the limits of the car. I have played with the comfort to sport plus switch, but really don't have the feel of it. In short, I have trouble really feeling a car out in the short amount of time available. Do others have this problem?

As far as the 3 and Suburban thing, in a way that is a better but more expensive package for me. Most of my driving is around town, seldom with more than one other adult but often with 4 teenagers. When I highway drive I typically rent a suburban and fill it up with more stuff than will fit in a 5.

So I love the 3, particularly the M, but shy away from it because it is a little small. I like the extra space in the 5, but am concerned it will not be as fun as my old E39 540 msport mt6

We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
CJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Thats interesting Jim Chance because I do have to agree that this car takes getting familiar with. It has a way about it initially that suggests one to drive and cruise in relaxed manner because it has such an ease about it. But if you have a chance to push the car it feels much smaller to me, it really gets down to business seeming to "hunker down". The steering effort beefs up at higher speeds, Lane changes feel crisp. This is one sedan that is not afraid of highway off ramps. ARS keeps everything tidy and tight. Its really amazing.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #16
bm323
Captain
Rep

I would have to say that if one is talking about just handling, the 3 handles better than the 5, no question. They are 2 different sized cars and objectives are different. When driving my family, the 3 can't beat the 5 for the space (obviously) with some luxury and more than sufficient sportiness. I drive a E90 and F10. I enjoy them both for different reasons, even when driving alone or with just 1 passenger. For the F10, I prefer a tighter suspension. I don't have any complaint about its steering except a preference for a steering stiffness in between the 2. Their stiffness is rather different when I change between the 2.

Just to make sure, when in sport mode please check that the chassis has been ticked (ie F10 with adaptive drive) and the tyre pressure is right. My F10 was rather different when I collected my car as the tyres were severely under-pressured.

Last edited by bm323; 09-13-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
ps If convenient, please provide your update with a comparison with the Jaguar XF; and also to compare the F10 on standard suspension against a F10 with adaptive drive/VDC in normal mode. I have this recollection that the standard suspension is preferable to adaptive drive/VDC in normal mode.
Appreciate 0