2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum X5 to f10 feedbacks

12-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

X5 to f10 feedbacks

Did any of you folks move from an X5 E70 to F10, how do you compare the 2 cars? I am currently considering going from an F10 to E70 purely on practicality side, I find the 5 series a nightmare with fitting a 6 month, 5 and 9 year old in the back!
I guess the obvious part is losing joy of driving with rear wheel drive! Thanks for any feedbacks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang
Did any of you folks move from an X5 E70 to F10, how do you compare the 2 cars? I am currently considering going from an F10 to E70 purely on practicality side, I find the 5 series a nightmare with fitting a 6 month, 5 and 9 year old in the back!
I guess the obvious part is losing joy of driving with rear wheel drive! Thanks for any feedbacks.
I own both. X5 is a great vehicle and much more practical for kids. The x5 handles great and still has that BMW feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I had an E70 X5, loved that car!

It is more practical and the drive is pretty good for such a heavy vehicle, mine had seven seats so was really good when traveling with parents. Ride was pretty firm with the M Sport set up and 20" wheels, however I wouldn't have the 19" as they look too small. There are loads out there so you can be patient and get a really nicely specified vehicle, make sure you have a panoramic roof and professional navigation. Great for tip runs, the thing turns into a van! Only downside was that it had so much room my wife always felt obliged to try and fill it whenever we went away!!

Moving from the E70 to the F10 I really enjoyed the handling of the F10 and the general interior layout is nicer in the F10, the E70 still has the previous generation dashboard and switch gear. The idrive in the F10 is also way better, not sure if late model E70's have the same set up as the F10 has though because mine was a 2008 model.

Things I miss... The ride height was really nice, visibility is better and it feels good being slightly higher than normal cars. Getting in out out was also simpler due to the height. Mine had the 3.0sd engine (twin turbo diesel), this was a great engine and I miss that second turbo at times. The grip on a wet day was immense, you could bury the throttle and it would just grip and go, try that in an F10 and it will just light up the traction control.

In summary I really enjoyed owning the E70, however I decided against another one after it was wrote off as I don't like the new one and didn't want the same car. I'm really enjoying the F10 too though but just for different reasons.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

One other essential option is a powered tailgate, I had this on mine and it is a god send as the boot lid is quite heavy and opens pretty high
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

I'll be going from a 2012 X5 to a 2015 550i in a few months. The lease period is ending on the X5 and I have the 550i on order. As much as I've loved the X5, I too was ready for a change and fell in love with the 5 series after taking a test drive. Different drives for sure, but with my kids older now, it was the right time to change to a sedan and I'm confident the 550i will provide all of the luxury and fun ride that I could ask for.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Ridiculous
isn't it?
United_States
Rep
Drives: tiag 2011 X6 5.0

Just switched out of an e70 35d to a 2015 535i xdrive. Very happy with the change, but I'm usually the only one in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I had an E70 X5, loved that car!

It is more practical and the drive is pretty good for such a heavy vehicle, mine had seven seats so was really good when traveling with parents. Ride was pretty firm with the M Sport set up and 20" wheels, however I wouldn't have the 19" as they look too small. There are loads out there so you can be patient and get a really nicely specified vehicle, make sure you have a panoramic roof and professional navigation. Great for tip runs, the thing turns into a van! Only downside was that it had so much room my wife always felt obliged to try and fill it whenever we went away!!

Moving from the E70 to the F10 I really enjoyed the handling of the F10 and the general interior layout is nicer in the F10, the E70 still has the previous generation dashboard and switch gear. The idrive in the F10 is also way better, not sure if late model E70's have the same set up as the F10 has though because mine was a 2008 model.

Things I miss... The ride height was really nice, visibility is better and it feels good being slightly higher than normal cars. Getting in out out was also simpler due to the height. Mine had the 3.0sd engine (twin turbo diesel), this was a great engine and I miss that second turbo at times. The grip on a wet day was immense, you could bury the throttle and it would just grip and go, try that in an F10 and it will just light up the traction control.

In summary I really enjoyed owning the E70, however I decided against another one after it was wrote off as I don't like the new one and didn't want the same car. I'm really enjoying the F10 too though but just for different reasons.
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback! It is all down to how different the drive is to my wife X3 F25 we now use weekends with all kids in the back, the F25 is very close to the E70 size wise I even checked the back seat width and its like 2 cm different , so it is all down to driving feel and of course quality too as I find the X3 good but certainly not as good as the F10, and both our cars are 2011 models.

I also find the new X5 interesting the service manager at my dealership told me how surprise he was with the X5 rear wheel one after having one for a long weekend doing good few miles, apparently you do feel the difference on the rear wheel drive verse the all wheels aspect, I know some argue why an X5 without the X, but now with 3 kids in the back I learned with the X3 that hatch back cabins are unbeatable in practicality, and a touring 5 series is still no good as the only gain In space is in the boot and not the back seats and passengers space, and as per your comment getting the kids in and out of the high car certainly helps my back considering the F10 seat belt positioning is a true disaster, with the danger of cutting your fingers in every attempt.

New X5 looks, I must admit at 1st I thought it was no good, but yet again BMW have a habit of always proving me wrong with time when down to design, they simply age better than many cars, I still turn my head when I see and E39 passing by! I am already finding the new X5 on M kit more and more desirable, and on this aging logic the E70 is looking very good and in my opinion improving the older it gets, so you spot on, a late model well equipped will be top of my list, shame the X6 is mostly available with 2 seats in the back, finding one is literally impossible as the 3 seat was only an option with the face lift!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculous View Post
Just switched out of an e70 35d to a 2015 535i xdrive. Very happy with the change, but I'm usually the only one in the car.
The X models only come up with the arrival of our 3rd kid, X cars can never beat rear wheel ones on the drive feel in my opinion!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I own both. X5 is a great vehicle and much more practical for kids. The x5 handles great and still has that BMW feel.
Thanks, I see more feedbacks like yours on the X5, my experience is limited to the X3, hence need to test one and hope fully for a full day or longer!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
I'll be going from a 2012 X5 to a 2015 550i in a few months. The lease period is ending on the X5 and I have the 550i on order. As much as I've loved the X5, I too was ready for a change and fell in love with the 5 series after taking a test drive. Different drives for sure, but with my kids older now, it was the right time to change to a sedan and I'm confident the 550i will provide all of the luxury and fun ride that I could ask for.
I guess this will be my position in 3 or 4 years down the line, with my kids older and no longer the need of massive seats and all!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Thanks for the comprehensive feedback! It is all down to how different the drive is to my wife X3 F25 we now use weekends with all kids in the back, the F25 is very close to the E70 size wise I even checked the back seat width and its like 2 cm different , so it is all down to driving feel and of course quality too as I find the X3 good but certainly not as good as the F10, and both our cars are 2011 models.

I also find the new X5 interesting the service manager at my dealership told me how surprise he was with the X5 rear wheel one after having one for a long weekend doing good few miles, apparently you do feel the difference on the rear wheel drive verse the all wheels aspect, I know some argue why an X5 without the X, but now with 3 kids in the back I learned with the X3 that hatch back cabins are unbeatable in practicality, and a touring 5 series is still no good as the only gain In space is in the boot and not the back seats and passengers space, and as per your comment getting the kids in and out of the high car certainly helps my back considering the F10 seat belt positioning is a true disaster, with the danger of cutting your fingers in every attempt.

New X5 looks, I must admit at 1st I thought it was no good, but yet again BMW have a habit of always proving me wrong with time when down to design, they simply age better than many cars, I still turn my head when I see and E39 passing by! I am already finding the new X5 on M kit more and more desirable, and on this aging logic the E70 is looking very good and in my opinion improving the older it gets, so you spot on, a late model well equipped will be top of my list, shame the X6 is mostly available with 2 seats in the back, finding one is literally impossible as the 3 seat was only an option with the face lift!
So why do you need the X5 if the X3 accommodates?

In terms of looks I agree new designs take a while to grow on you at times. However the E70 was a really aggressive looking vehicle, when it filled your rear view mirror it would make most people shift out of the way! My two biggest gripes with the new one are the muted front end and the more vertical tailgate, I appreciate this is to provide more room for the 3rd row of seats but I don't like it...

I didn't even like the F10 when it came out as I thought it was too conservative, however with a lot of modding I have managed to give it the aggressive look that I prefer
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Just make sure whatever E70 you get it has the right options/packages if you want that BMW feel. I have a 2014 550 and had a 2013 E70 loaner once so I will comment on the major differences that I noticed with my then 1yo baby girl.

E70 is much roomier. Can't beat being able to just throw a full size stroller into the trunk or being able to change a kids diaper in the back easily. The F10 can get by but doing anything in the E70 was just easier for my wife.

F10 is much much more luxurious compared to the E70. The E70 is more 3 series while the F10 is on par wit the 7 series. Its night and day. No contest here. Everything from look and feel were 10x better in the F10

The drive in the E70 left lots to be desired. The one i had didn't have any options so it really drove like a floaty POS even compared to my soft sprung F10. Steering effort is unnecessarily firm in the E70 as well.

With young kids/babies an SUV really makes your life easier. Once they get older then a sedan is more than adequate.

Alan
      12-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
So why do you need the X5 if the X3 accommodates?

In terms of looks I agree new designs take a while to grow on you at times. However the E70 was a really aggressive looking vehicle, when it filled your rear view mirror it would make most people shift out of the way! My two biggest gripes with the new one are the muted front end and the more vertical tailgate, I appreciate this is to provide more room for the 3rd row of seats but I don't like it...

I didn't even like the F10 when it came out as I thought it was too conservative, however with a lot of modding I have managed to give it the aggressive look that I prefer
Good point on the X3, but being a car enthusiast I tend to change my cars every 3 years, my plan up to recently was set on 6 series or a 2nd hand X6, a straight six engine, of course all cancelled with the arrival of our 3 rd kid, hence considering the X5 as I always liked the shape of the E70!
I moved from London to the west of Ireland, 20 min from Galway city, and the roads here are heaven, I enjoy driving far more here, when on the road I am 90% of the time on A and B roads, the height of the X models helps a lot for sure, and you can do with the 4 x4 grip for sure.
the new X5 is an option but the problem here in Ireland is the extra tax on top of the VAT, so my 520 d with few options came up to 60k Euros back in 2011, the price of an entry level X5 in the UK, hence may be considering the E70 instead with a straight six engine of course, a late model 2nd hand one here will still cost as match as a the new X5 in England.
My only straight six is always stored for winter, the big straight six of my e24 635 CSI, also need some work, but will love to have one for every day, I have the performance pack installed in my 520d but as we all know it is simply not the same.

Last edited by martin mustang; 12-03-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Don't you have the F11 in Ireland?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #15
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Don't you have the F11 in Ireland?
We do, I had one when my performance pack was installed, and just like my wife previous 3 series touring, you only gain boot space, the back seats are exactly the same leg wise and all, I am after the comfort of not having to struggle to fit 3 kids in the back, boot space to me can be resolved with a luggage box when traveling! I am also not keen in the way the back looks.
I also find the F10 seat belts a complete screw up, in fact dangerous, my 9 year old and 5 year old use to buckle them self up with no issues with my previous E60, come the F10 even after moving to booster seats it’s struggle to get to the belt lock, I had to buy belt extensions! The problem with the f10 is more with the way they positioned the seat belt, it was done with no consideration to kids seats on top.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #16
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Just make sure whatever E70 you get it has the right options/packages if you want that BMW feel. I have a 2014 550 and had a 2013 E70 loaner once so I will comment on the major differences that I noticed with my then 1yo baby girl.

E70 is much roomier. Can't beat being able to just throw a full size stroller into the trunk or being able to change a kids diaper in the back easily. The F10 can get by but doing anything in the E70 was just easier for my wife.

F10 is much much more luxurious compared to the E70. The E70 is more 3 series while the F10 is on par wit the 7 series. Its night and day. No contest here. Everything from look and feel were 10x better in the F10

The drive in the E70 left lots to be desired. The one i had didn't have any options so it really drove like a floaty POS even compared to my soft sprung F10. Steering effort is unnecessarily firm in the E70 as well.

With young kids/babies an SUV really makes your life easier. Once they get older then a sedan is more than adequate.

Alan
I am with you on this one, the plan is to go for E70 well equipped, and switch back to a 6 or 5 once my kids out of big car seats!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #17
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
We do, I had one when my performance pack was installed, and just like my wife previous 3 series touring, you only gain boot space, the back seats are exactly the same leg wise and all, I am after the comfort of not having to struggle to fit 3 kids in the back, boot space to me can be resolved with a luggage box when traveling! I am also not keen in the way the back looks.
I also find the F10 seat belts a complete screw up, in fact dangerous, my 9 year old and 5 year old use to buckle them self up with no issues with my previous E60, come the F10 even after moving to booster seats it’s struggle to get to the belt lock, I had to buy belt extensions! The problem with the f10 is more with the way they positioned the seat belt, it was done with no consideration to kids seats on top.
Personally I can't see a thing the X5 would have over an F11 x-drive.
As far as I know it is not wider, so it won't have more rear seat space, the boot is not any bigger, so you wont get any more with you.
It has better ground clearance, but how often do you really need that?
Its a little easier to get out of because of the height, and it might be easier to strap in a kid as you don't have to bend your back as much.
The boot is higher so you need to lift everything higher to get it in the trunk.

To me the only reason to move from an F10 to an X5 is the need for more space, and if the F11 is available I don't see any reason to get an X5 other than "I want one".
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #18
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
As far as I know it is not wider, so it won't have more rear seat space, the boot is not any bigger, so you wont get any more with you.
Its a little easier to get out of because of the height, and it might be easier to strap in a kid as you don't have to bend your back as much.
The boot is higher so you need to lift everything higher to get it in the trunk.

To me the only reason to move from an F10 to an X5 is the need for more space, and if the F11 is available I don't see any reason to get an X5 other than "I want one".
Even the X3 have more space in the back than the 5 touring, I am a big guy so my seat goes back a good distance, my 9 year old prefers to jump on the other side because of the limited leg room, not an issue with the X3, and if not wrong the X5 E70 is the same or slightly bigger, also what you get with the ground clearance is a flatter floor in the middle section very handy when it is easier to put booster seat in the middle section since we all know it’s the smallest section out of the 3 space in the back, I can also sue the isofix for the kids seats on the side.
My wife 1st BMW was a 2010 3 series touring coming from a VW Golf, and we both noticed how the touring was limited in the passengers space compare to the Golf, the 4X4 cars are like hatchbacks, the cabin is designed for 5 doors and only exist for a 5 door versions, when down to touring cars it is always a 4 door cabin extended to a 5 door, hence the seats in a touring are positioned the same way as in a 4 door car, one maybe advantage is the F11 roof line higher than the F10, my kids are more after leg room space than height at this age.

I live in the country side, the high is certainly a big advantage here, you can see who is coming around corners, and it’s all A and B roads, love every minute driving them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:01 AM   #19
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The rear seat is flatter and not as heavily sculpted, making it easier to seat three or attach three child seats, plus it's a lot easier to load up everyone from one door due to the cabin height and flat floor.
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0