2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Miles until brakes pad need replaced stopped moving right before warranty expires

12-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
5fix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i; 2018 m550i

Miles until brakes pad need replaced stopped moving right before warranty expires

My 2012 550 xi has 36,xxx miles and is going off warranty in about a month. The "service required" menu shows 3100 miles until the front and rear brake pads need replaced. I noticed it was at 3100 miles about six months ago (and about 3000 miles ago) and thought "no problem, I will reach that mileage by the end of the warranty and the brake replacements will be covered under warranty." Wrong.

Does anyone know if the miles remaining on the service required menu is based on mileage or some sort of brake sensor that shows brake pad depth? I can see what is going to happen, my warranty will expire and I will be stuck with a repair bill for new brake pads a few months later!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

It is based on a brake sensor that estimates the mileage until a change is required. My guess is that you have been easy on your brakes during this period. If you were to drive your car hard and make heavy use of your brakes, you would see that mileage drop faster.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5fix
My 2012 550 xi has 36,xxx miles and is going off warranty in about a month. The "service required" menu shows 3100 miles until the front and rear brake pads need replaced. I noticed it was at 3100 miles about six months ago (and about 3000 miles ago) and thought "no problem, I will reach that mileage by the end of the warranty and the brake replacements will be covered under warranty." Wrong.

Does anyone know if the miles remaining on the service required menu is based on mileage or some sort of brake sensor that shows brake pad depth? I can see what is going to happen, my warranty will expire and I will be stuck with a repair bill for new brake pads a few months later!
You can speak with your service advisor and just explain that the brakes will need to be changed soon and if they can go ahead and check them out and possibly replace them before the warranty is up. Also ask for any oil changes to be performed as well as maybe the air filter. Anything else you can think of such as squeaks and rattles or pretty much just anything, be sure to inquire about it and let them know that you want them to address those issues. Once it's out of warranty you will enter in a very scary place on your own lol. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
M5Beast_NYC
Major
Rep
Drives: 15 M5

I'm in the same situation as you, in fact my warrant end beginning of next year. I just got my pads replaced under warranty with 3000 miles before the warning gets triggered. Just speak to your service advisor and hope you get a nice one
Appreciate 0