2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Tyre wear

01-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Mole10r
Rep
Drives: GT M-sport (white ) 20" alloys

Tyre wear

Hi all , new to the forum and new to bmw's .
Got a order in for a 3litre diesel motorsport gt , with privacy glass and 20" wheels .
Was just wondering what sort of miles you guys are getting out of a set of tyres ?
I think it comes with P zeros on ( wife will be driving it for 90% of the time , so won't be getting much stick )
Many thanks , Mole
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

I have an F10 520d M Sport, with the Sports Auto box, Mole. This is on the standard 18's. I have Continental SportContact 3 tyres front and rear. I'm now just shy of 19k miles and these still have plenty of tread left. A lot of these are motorway miles ... I'm actually not too far from you ... a good portion of my miles are on the M1 and M40.

I'm going to try very hard to get these SportContact 3's fitted again, as I'm happy with the performance, ride and longevity of these.

Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
I have an F10 520d M Sport, with the Sports Auto box, Mole. This is on the standard 18's. I have Continental SportContact 3 tyres front and rear. I'm now just shy of 19k miles and these still have plenty of tread left. A lot of these are motorway miles ... I'm actually not too far from you ... a good portion of my miles are on the M1 and M40.

I'm going to try very hard to get these SportContact 3's fitted again, as I'm happy with the performance, ride and longevity of these.

Cheers ...
That's encouraging to hear; I have 12k miles on my F10 with the same wheels/tyres and they're looking virtually new with no sign of uneven wear. As a matter of interest what pressures do you run? I set mine to 30/32psi front/rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
That's encouraging to hear; I have 12k miles on my F10 with the same wheels/tyres and they're looking virtually new with no sign of uneven wear. As a matter of interest what pressures do you run? I set mine to 30/32psi front/rear.
I feel very ignorant in saying this Jon, but at least I'm honest: I have never checked the pressures.

I am careful with regards to keeping the car clean and I'm fastidious with regards to servicing, but tyre pressure is not something I pay great care to. I have always judged this by just looking at the tyres and seeing how the car sits. I feel very ignorant now though and feel that I need to be more attentive to this area. I'll invest in a digital tyre pressure gauge this week. Can you recommend one?

Of my now 19k miles, I have calculated that approximately 10 to 12k of these have been on motorway or dual carriage way. I'm attributing this fact, in large part, to the longevity of the tyres.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but a lot of tyre wear comes from the sideways movement of the tyres, associated with "normal" roads, as opposed to faster (and fundamentally straight) motorway / freeway driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
I feel very ignorant in saying this Jon, but at least I'm honest: I have never checked the pressures.

I am careful with regards to keeping the car clean and I'm fastidious with regards to servicing, but tyre pressure is not something I pay great care to. I have always judged this by just looking at the tyres and seeing how the car sits. I feel very ignorant now though and feel that I need to be more attentive to this area. I'll invest in a digital tyre pressure gauge this week. Can you recommend one?

Of my now 19k miles, I have calculated that approximately 10 to 12k of these have been on motorway or dual carriage way. I'm attributing this fact, in large part, to the longevity of the tyres.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but a lot of tyre wear comes from the sideways movement of the tyres, associated with "normal" roads, as opposed to faster (and fundamentally straight) motorway / freeway driving?
You've never checked the pressures in 19k miles . I trust that you now feel well and truly ashamed of yourself .
Joking aside, you're correct in assuming that, generally speaking, high cornering loads will cause more wear on the inner and outer edges of the tyres, but having said that, I do a great deal of 'spirited' driving on twisting Scottish B roads and my tyres aren't showing any signs of uneven wear.
As to gauges - a digital one won't necessarily be any more accurate than a dial type, it's all down to manufacturing quality control. I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RACE-PROFESS.../dp/B000VZ8S26 relatively cheap and certified to ±2% accuracy.
I check mine weekly and generally find they need a minor top-up every couple of months or so, which I do with a small portable 12v compressor. Note: pressures should be checked when the tyres are cold, ideally first thing in the morning and before you start driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Stingray2
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d GT

Hi all,
Just a question for Mole10r.
Are you refering to tyres on a 530d GT (F07)? If so, you may be interested in the F07 GT tyre wear discussion that is ongoing. There are a few us us with rear tyre wear problems on 20" rims fitted with Goodyear Excellence run flats.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0