2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rules that everyone should follow!!

02-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Rules that everyone should follow!!

These rules apply to everyone.

A few rules to follow for all of you that dine out:

1. Servers make minimum wage, they support themselves off of your pathetic tips.

2. Do not go out to eat after 10, the servers and cooks have probably began to clean and don't want to do it again.

3. Special orders suck, if you are that picky or allergic to that much... eat in.

4. Servers are people too, don't talk to them as if they are second class citizens...they will spit in your food.

5. Don't shake empty glasses, snap your fingers, or whistle to get a server's attention... they will ignore you.

6. If the server asks "Do you need anything else?" only respond if you really really need something, and tell them everything at once, so there isn't a need to make 5 unnecassary trips.

7. Tip generously... whether or not you believe they deserve it. Your boss does not hold some of your pay because he doesn't think you deserve it all.

8. If your server does not seem happy...it's probably because you are crappy to wait on.

9. Do not go out to eat if you are miserable... no one wants to wait on a grouch and tip extra for being lousy.

10. Do not insult your server... she/he handles your food.

11. Do not leave a crappy tip and then say "this is all for you hunny."

12. Leaving change is frowned upon... especially when there are more coins than bills.

13. minimum wage?!? So, if you leave three dollars, and your server ran around, got you drinks, brought your food, refilled drinks, brought more napkins, clean silverware, ketchup, another side of bleu cheese... all for your crummy $3 tip, it's just not right.

14. If you have not seen your server in awhile... maybe you were being an awful table and they need to bitch about you in the back... next time you ought to be a better table.

15. Do not hit on your server... they do not like you... they just want your tip and it usually makes everyone all around feel awkward, and then they will go in the back and tell the other employees about it, who will in turn come out and stare at you.

16. A cup of coffe and a glass of water is a pain in the ass to get... so just don't order it.

17. If you see your server cleaning around you... it means you have been there too long and they want to go home... no one cleans for fun.

18. Do not bring small children out to eat... they are useless for tips... but if you have to, do not allow them to make a mess, leave your server $3 and expect them to clean up after your scuzzy kid.

19. Do not make lame jokes... no one thinks they are funny.

20. The bigger a tip you leave, the better chance of you being remembered... and then you will get better service and maybe even a smile.

21. Don't ever order hot tea under any circumstances. We don't care if you're sick. And if for some reason you do order it, that should extend the tip to at least 25%

22. No yourserver cannot take two coupons off of your check, no not even if you are getting separate checks.

23. It doesn't matter if all 15 of you are getting separate checks, you came in as a party and you are paying the gratuity.

24. If there is a hostess stand at the front door, do not assume it is a seat yourself restaurant.

25. If you want to drink alcohol, bring your ID with you. PERIOD. It is not the servers job to guess how old you are, it is their job to check your ID.

26. If you have some kind of coupon, discount, or your server comps something for you, you need to tip based on the amount as if you were paying for it. It is not fair when a man and his two bratty kids come in and get $80 worth of food, have a $75 gift certificate, and leave $1.25. That's just bullshit.

Lastly, your poor yet loving server only makes minimum wage and depends on your tips... don't be an asshole, tip 20%...or more.
Please remember these rules next time you dine out.

So true! I waitress, and let me tell you.. all of these are right on!
      02-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

Haha I'm so sorry! My friend snaps at waiters, and people in general! She's so rude. When she wants something she snaps and goes HEY HEY! And I'm like, CHRISTINAAA you can't snap your fingers at PEOPLE, you retard.

I try to tip generously. it helps if you look good.

it's a superficial world out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Whoever wrote that needs to find another line of work ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Those rules sound like they were made up by a really pissed off waiter/waitress. So you're saying you don't like being hit on while waitressing, Bella? That's how Jarrod Jarrod landed Samantha Jones!
      02-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Uh-ah, I don't tip...I don't believe in it. Our waitress was nice but she wasn't anything special. If she doesn't like her job she can quit...

Didn't we have this Reservoir Dogs discussion like 10 times here already???
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #6
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by findtom
Whoever wrote that needs to find another line of work ASAP.
If you have never served, then you wouldnt relate. But ive been doing for 6 years.. and you def get to know ALL kinds of people, and deal with every type of situation.

for example: I have this middle aged woman come in with her husband, she wears mouse ears and carries teddy bears in with her everytime she comes. She even asked for an extra chair.

Last night, a couple came in (middle 20's). The guy was plastered and he brought his own beer in his pocket. Then he thought my other table was staring at him, so he went over and put his beer on their table and started talking shit. Then his gf (who was on something) starts crying and getting upset.
Then a older woman came in to order food to go. She began talkin on her cell phone SO loud that everyone and their mother knew what she was saying. And she was saying how she was gonna beat someones ass cause they owed her money..

WTF... haha a day in the life of a server.
      02-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Those rules sound like they were made up by a really pissed off waiter/waitress. So you're saying you don't like being hit on while waitressing, Bella? That's how Jarrod Jarrod landed Samantha Jones!
I usually get hit on my older men. Another example, this one guy comes in with his buddy (id say 50's). He ALWAYS asks me to dance for him. WTF, i just look at him and say no. And he thinks its funny, he asks me everytime. So now when he comes in, i dont say shit to him. Then i have another guy who tells me what turns him on, hes married, yet, he'll ask me about my sex life. I just smile and walk away. If the customer looked like jarrod jarrod, then sure, hit away.
      02-28-2006, 12:29 PM   #8
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
WTF... haha a day in the life of a server.

No, just another day in Southern California!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I usually get hit on my older men. Another example, this one guy comes in with his buddy (id say 50's). He ALWAYS asks me to dance for him. WTF, i just look at him and say no. And he thinks its funny, he asks me everytime. So now when he comes in, i dont say shit to him. Then i have another guy who tells me what turns him on, hes married, yet, he'll ask me about my sex life. I just smile and walk away. If the customer looked like jarrod jarrod, then sure, hit away.

Hahaa. oh man, old men are funny or.. just men in general.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
These rules apply to everyone.

A few rules to follow for all of you that dine out:

Customer service...what???
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
now, i'm sorry but things like that really anger me. i'm pretty sure 99% of people hate their jobs and could put a list like that together in no time. why are people like valets, waitresses, cab drivers, or basically anyone who gets tipped, why are those people always trying to be labeled as "handle with care"?? i tip, and tip well, even when service sucks. but i hate when they start whining about how their job is especially bad and all the little things they don't like about it. if you hate what you're doing, quit for christ's sakes! look at firemen, they risk their asses for people and do you think they get paid accordingly?

waiters and waitresses started getting paid below minimum wage only because people started tipping them. if you eliminated tips, they would have to get normal wages. but they don't want that because they know they can make shitload of tax-free cash at least 3-4 nights a week.

nothing against you, bella, i just get very ticked off whenever this topic is brought up.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
topsouls
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg 325i

Quote:
If you have never served, then you wouldnt relate. But ive been doing for 6 years.. and you def get to know ALL kinds of people, and deal with every type of situation.
She is right, if you've ever worked as a server or around them in a restaurant, you would have renewed respect for servers and disrespect for customers.

It is a tough job and even though I served part-time for 3 years when I was in school, there are others busting ass 5 days a week trying to feed their families. Getting paid only MINIMUM WAGE!! Tips are what pays the bills for these people and a lot of the general public do not realize it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

"I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f**ed up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government f*** on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bull*** I got two words for that: learn to ****'n type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f***'n surprise."

Reservior Dogs is one of my favorite movies just because of that 5 minute tipping discussion at the very beginning!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsouls
She is right, if you've ever worked as a server or around them in a restaurant, you would have renewed respect for servers and disrespect for customers.

It is a tough job and even though I served part-time for 3 years when I was in school, there are others busting ass 5 days a week trying to feed their families. Getting paid only MINIMUM WAGE!! Tips are what pays the bills for these people and a lot of the general public do not realize it.
I agree. But that's how it is for everything. Everyone has a job or does things that not everyone else appreciates.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enroutte
Everyone has a job or does things that not everyone else appreciates.
exactly my point!!!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
All the waiters/waitresses cheat on their taxes anyway so they already make more than what they are tipped according to fed law.
      02-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
All the waiters/waitresses cheat on their taxes anyway so they already make more than what they are tipped according to fed law.
Agreed.

I never really worked before, so when I got my first paycheck a few weeks ago, they had deducted 30$ from my paycheck. I almost cried.

Stupid taxes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed.

I never really worked before, so when I got my first paycheck a few weeks ago, they had deducted 30$ from my paycheck. I almost cried.

Stupid taxes.
So maybe you should try waitressing

I did it for 2 years in HS and although I was treated like a pile of steaming doodoo, it was worth the $$.
      02-28-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
now, i'm sorry but things like that really anger me. i'm pretty sure 99% of people hate their jobs and could put a list like that together in no time. why are people like valets, waitresses, cab drivers, or basically anyone who gets tipped, why are those people always trying to be labeled as "handle with care"?? i tip, and tip well, even when service sucks. but i hate when they start whining about how their job is especially bad and all the little things they don't like about it. if you hate what you're doing, quit for christ's sakes! look at firemen, they risk their asses for people and do you think they get paid accordingly?

waiters and waitresses started getting paid below minimum wage only because people started tipping them. if you eliminated tips, they would have to get normal wages. but they don't want that because they know they can make shitload of tax-free cash at least 3-4 nights a week.

nothing against you, bella, i just get very ticked off whenever this topic is brought up.
I respect your opinion. And i agree everyone has pet peeves at their workplaces. But.. i do think that servers (or ppl that deal directly with customer service) have to deal with alot more annoyances. I didnt make the list up, i just thought it was funny cause i can personally relate to each and everyone one of these.
      02-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #20
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
So maybe you should try waitressing

I did it for 2 years in HS and although I was treated like a pile of steaming doodoo, it was worth the $$.
I actually really want to be a waitress. Everyoen says the tips are good adn I'd make more than I do at Walgreens.

I only make 8.40$/hr at walgreens and I get stupid customers. I hate customers who come in and use EVERY COUPON, and they make ME CUT IT OUT because they hadn't. Not only that, but they like to argue about each item that's supposedly on sale, when it isn't. I also hate customers who ask for a price check on everyyyything. Look at the stupid sign when you pick up the product. Everytime I ring something up as a price check, i get docked off points in the machine. i hate work

yea yea i know, "then quit" "
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #21
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

No Bella, you're right. There's really no other job where you've got to be someone's bitch, and wear a constant smile on top of it (well, maybe an airline stewardess), and put up with people hitting on you, or complaining, or snapping rude comments, all at the same time. I feel for waitresses. If my meal comes to about $20.00, I'll tip about $5.00, sometimes $10.00 if the service is extraordinary and the waitress is especially nice.

All in all, I look at it like this: if the waitress knows you're a big tipper, she'll let you sit in the corner away from everyone else, if you ask, and she'll make sure no one "messes" with your food if you've got a reason to send it back....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #22
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I actually really want to be a waitress. Everyoen says the tips are good adn I'd make more than I do at Walgreens.

I only make 8.40$/hr at walgreens and I get stupid customers. I hate customers who come in and use EVERY COUPON, and they make ME CUT IT OUT because they hadn't. Not only that, but they like to argue about each item that's supposedly on sale, when it isn't. I also hate customers who ask for a price check on everyyyything. Look at the stupid sign when you pick up the product. Everytime I ring something up as a price check, i get docked off points in the machine. i hate work

yea yea i know, "then quit" "
Unfortunately in service-oriented work, "the customer is always right". It's tought to have the patience for that esp when the customer is mostly WRONG .

You'll do way better than 8.40/hr at a decent restaurant and it'll be tax-free also

As far the the original thread goes, I found the OP amusing but if you choose that line of work, it comes with the territory. People are in essence paying for "service" when they eat out. That does NOT give them any right to disrespect someone, but servers don't need to be handled with anymore care than any other service provider, IMO.

I just kinda got used to it when I was waiting tables... you'll find ALL kinds of people...