2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Standard speakers upgraded to OEM Top Hifi (retrofit)

04-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Yolo360
England
Rep
Drives: F10 Alpline. M-Sport

Smile Standard speakers upgraded to OEM Top Hifi (retrofit)

Hey Guys,

My F10 arrived with me for only a few weeks now. I have done about 150miles on the clock since delivery and the speakers are just disasterous. Its worse then my little runabout Merc CLC!

Ok so upgrade was needed and I done my research and orderd the chosen option I wanted to upgrade too. I first read up on Focal speakers etc.. but I wanted everything OEM and not tamper with the car with a new aftermarket amp install/ re-wiring etc..

Firstly I investigated the vehicle with its current speakers housings etc..
Rear parcel shelf: to my surprise its the tweeter positions was already there. Simple plug & Play.

Second: Front center dash:
Opened grill, investigated no wiring. So left this as it is.

Took the A-Piller plastic off to discover the underside foam is ready for tweeters. (It doesnt matter as the tweeter grills comes with new ones)

I deicided on the full Top Hifi Speakers which is the top premium speaker kit from BMW just below the B&O they offer.

Right the parts I ordered consisted of:
4 x Top Hifi Mid speakers 6513 9169693-02
2 x Top Hifi Rear tweeters 6513 91847950-2
2 x Top Hifi Front sweeters 6513 9 184 794-02
2 x Top Hifi subwoofers. 6513 9241119-01
2 x Front tweeter grills. Left:51337275779 Right:51337275780

Tutorial:
I started off with the front doors:

- Remove the decor trim. Simply pull outwards with a little force. No tabs will break. Once popped out there is a large silver clip that you have to push up to release the trim out. Then slide the trim forwards to release the back secure tabs.

- Remove 2 main screws holding the door card (Marked with red X) You have to removed the door handle black trim to get the the second one.

- Once removed, ply door hard off with your hands. Start next to the hinges and work your way around.

- Once popped off then let it lie down and use the door/ seat to hold it, leaving it flat down so its easy to work with.

- Simple undo the 3 speaker nuts and pop the new on and then plug new tweeter in.

Now put it all back the same together the same way you took it apart.

Front doors done:

Rear parcel shelf.
- Pop cover off

- undo the torx screw securing the original speakers

- You will have to simply cut some material away as the TOP HIFI Mids are larger, so just simply cut the side material away so the new speaker fit tight. The tweeter is a direct fit. You have to connect original speaker cable to the new Mid and then the tweeter into the new Mid. Same as the front door cards.

You will have to create new screw holes. Simply screw the screw into the parcel shelf material and it secures it tightly. You will have to dremel a small bit of material on the speaker grill so it fits perfectly.

Front Subs.

- Undo 4 Torx on the seats lean it back so you can access the floor speaker cover.
- Undo 4 Torx to take speaker cover off
- Discount sub
- Unscrew 2 x nuts
- Fold partial carpet up to create room to lift up the subs
- Put new subs in.
- Re-wire needed: standard subs have 4 connectsions in the subs and the TOP HIFI has only 2. I guess its 2 x small and 2 x large cables. Simply bridge the small cables with the large cables and connect using same socket.
- Reinstall everything.

Everything is plug and play. Took me around 4 hours to do everything.

Verdict: So worth it, the sound is sensational/ incrediable! Full volume has no distortion and very nice bass.

I hope this topic will inspire the owners with the basic speakers.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Yolo360; 04-09-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Nice detailed DIY. Thanks,

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

Nice stuff! Did you upgrade the amps?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Wildcardz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Where did you purchase the oem top hifi?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
535Individual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Individual (12/2012)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolo360 View Post
Hey Guys,

My F10 arrived with me for only a few weeks now. I have done about 150miles on the clock since delivery and the speakers are just disasterous. Its worse then my little runabout Merc CLC!

Ok so upgrade was needed and I done my research and orderd the chosen option I wanted to upgrade too. I first read up on Focal speakers etc.. but I wanted everything OEM and not tamper with the car with a new aftermarket amp install/ re-wiring etc..

Firstly I investigated the vehicle with its current speakers housings etc..
Rear parcel shelf: to my surprise its the tweeter positions was already there. Simple plug & Play.

Second: Front center dash:
Opened grill, investigated no wiring. So left this as it is.

Took the A-Piller plastic off to discover the underside foam is ready for tweeters. (It doesnt matter as the tweeter grills comes with new ones)

I deicided on the full Top Hifi Speakers which is the top premium speaker kit from BMW just below the B&O they offer.

Right the parts I ordered consisted of:
4 x Top Hifi Mid speakers 6513 9169693-02
2 x Top Hifi Rear tweeters 6513 91847950-2
2 x Top Hifi Front sweeters 6513 9 184 794-02
2 x Top Hifi subwoofers. 6513 9241119-01
2 x Front tweeter grills. Left:51337275779 Right:51337275780

Tutorial:
I started off with the front doors:

- Remove the decor trim. Simply pull outwards with a little force. No tabs will break. Once popped out there is a large silver clip that you have to push up to release the trim out. Then slide the trim forwards to release the back secure tabs.

- Remove 2 main screws holding the door card (Marked with red X) You have to removed the door handle black trim to get the the second one.

- Once removed, ply door hard off with your hands. Start next to the hinges and work your way around.

- Once popped off then let it lie down and use the door/ seat to hold it, leaving it flat down so its easy to work with.

- Simple undo the 3 speaker nuts and pop the new on and then plug new tweeter in.

Now put it all back the same together the same way you took it apart.

Front doors done:

Rear parcel shelf.
- Pop cover off

- undo the torx screw securing the original speakers

- You will have to simply cut some material away as the TOP HIFI Mids are larger, so just simply cut the side material away so the new speaker fit tight. The tweeter is a direct fit. You have to connect original speaker cable to the new Mid and then the tweeter into the new Mid. Same as the front door cards.

You will have to create new screw holes. Simply screw the screw into the parcel shelf material and it secures it tightly. You will have to dremel a small bit of material on the speaker grill so it fits perfectly.

Front Subs.

- Undo 4 Torx on the seats lean it back so you can access the floor speaker cover.
- Undo 4 Torx to take speaker cover off
- Discount sub
- Unscrew 2 x nuts
- Fold partial carpet up to create room to lift up the subs
- Put new subs in.
- Re-wire needed: standard subs have 4 connectsions in the subs and the TOP HIFI has only 2. I guess its 2 x small and 2 x large cables. Simply bridge the small cables with the large cables and connect using same socket.
- Reinstall everything.

Everything is plug and play. Took me around 4 hours to do everything.

Verdict: So worth it, the sound is sensational/ incrediable! Full volume has no distortion and very nice bass.

I hope this topic will inspire the owners with the basic speakers.

Thanks for reading.
Curious? What is difference in cost of aftermarket upgrade with warranty void vs. ordering original audio upgrade with BMW warranty?
2013 535i BMW Individual Moonstone(Mondstein)Metallic with BMW Individual composition•Platinum Ext. Merino leather with Piano Black Trim•Individual wood inlay steering wheel•Ceramic Controls•B & O Sound System•Driver Assist Package•Luxury Seating Package•Technology Package• Premium Package•Dynamic Damping Control•Parking Assistant•Power rear sunshade•Soft-close automatic doors•Automatic high beams•
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
ATOMBOY
Second Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Garage List
This is great! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

can you share more about the sub rewiring? i tried this awhile ago but the sub was just flat, not as powerful as the stock one, i checked the spec on both, the stock one is 2 ohms and the top hifi version is 4 ohms.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

also the part number of the sub is listed as F07 parts, did you have to take the sub out of the box and put it into the old one?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Great stuff! Thanks for the write-up.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

i was wondering, do you avoid the warranty after you installed it? that's cool man, you upgraded it by yourself without any problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
L7AS
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardK View Post
i was wondering, do you avoid the warranty after you installed it? that's cool man, you upgraded it by yourself without any problems.
I would say only the speaker or maybe the sound system's warranty is void. Just my thoughts though (not 100% sure).
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      04-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #12
Yolo360
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
Nice stuff! Did you upgrade the amps?
Not yet! I'm just doing more research into this, as I wanted to change over the speakers as I know they're straight forward. Next thing I will investigate the TOP Hifi Amp compactibility with Standard Stereo Amp harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcardz View Post
Where did you purchase the oem top hifi?
I bought it from BMW suppliers in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nison View Post
can you share more about the sub rewiring? i tried this awhile ago but the sub was just flat, not as powerful as the stock one, i checked the spec on both, the stock one is 2 ohms and the top hifi version is 4 ohms.
The bass is definately more "umph" compared to the original one. Regarding wireing:
Standard sub/ socket has 4 connection points, 2 large wire and 2 small wire.
The 2 small cables are the cables to the door speakers which is powered off from the subs.

Top Hifi Sub has only 2 connections, which is in the position of the 2 larger cables, so you simply connect both small cables to the larger ones to feed the power to the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nison View Post
also the part number of the sub is listed as F07 parts, did you have to take the sub out of the box and put it into the old one?
I believe these speakers are shared across the board with F07/ F10/ F13/E90 etc..

I had to remove the new TOP Hifi subs from its original casing and put it into my old ones. Reason being the new ones are much larger boxes and the F10 are more compact. There is not enough space to accomadate the larger ones in F10.

Quote:
Warranty is not void in anyway. I'm just replacing the speakers for more enhanced ones. It all works the same way as the original speakers. if I put aftermarket speakers/ wiring harness then the warranty is questionable.

The install as you can see from the images is very simple. Mostly plug & play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L7AS View Post
I would say only the speaker or maybe the sound system's warranty is void. Just my thoughts though (not 100% sure).
^ .

Thanks guys! The car is so much better now. I still couldn't believe how dissapointing the standard stereo is!

All good now.

Last edited by Yolo360; 04-14-2013 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
slownfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Xdrive

when i see this post, i want to change my speakers too. is that really big different than standard speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #14
Yolo360
England
Rep

Quote:
when i see this post, i want to change my speakers too. is that really big different than standard speakers?
Quality of the sound is much better!

Update: Still looking into the Top Hifi amp with regards the retrofit, as these speakers are designed for a larger power input from the amp to achieve maximum potential, so there is still plenty room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
mcrussell
Rep
Drives: e90 Alpina D3

Just a quick note, the rear mids you ordered are not the correct ones, they should be a direct fit as they only do one rear shelf type regardless of audio, you have used the front/rear door mids where you require 65 13 9 169 690 x2 & the correct subs are 65 13 9 169 687 & 65 13 9 169 688, these are also a direct fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
sausewind
Rep
Drives: F11

Great stuff.

Top-Hifi retrofit should be possible, but needs carefully investigations on wiring, parts-nr, coding ( ista-d, etk, e-sys….). You have to install as minimum 7 pairs/channels of speaker-wrings from trunk-left side to each speaker-set (front-door left, front door right, center , sub left, sub right, rear shelf left , rear shelf right). If you want also the remaining 2 channels on rear doors it would be necessary to change to door-trims for Top-Hifi, but you can left them, they are IMHO not important.
Some hint: Guess your 2013-F10 has new headunit NBT with TCB (?), so AFAIK MOST-harness as previous HU-CIC to ComBox is not longer available to tie in top-amp in MOST-network in easy short way-install , but take a look in trunk-case left side behind floor.
I retrofitted my F11 from Hifi SA676 to Top-Hifi SA677 (amp, speakers and extra things - “handmade individual” crossovers and so on..), was a little bit tricky and much work, but everyday nice to hear.
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      04-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #17
messiry
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35, E60 530

Garage List
Hi There, thank you for this post, i am doing exactly what you have posted here, however i cant fine the part 6513 91847950 (the rear tweeters) i logged on realoem.com and didnt find it either,, can you please double check.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #18
messiry
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35, E60 530

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrussell View Post
Just a quick note, the rear mids you ordered are not the correct ones, they should be a direct fit as they only do one rear shelf type regardless of audio, you have used the front/rear door mids where you require 65 13 9 169 690 x2 & the correct subs are 65 13 9 169 687 & 65 13 9 169 688, these are also a direct fit.
Thank you mcrussell for this, did you try it? i am in the process to do the same and also found that some parts are wrong, also i am planning to do the doors and rear then later the subs, is that possible?
thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
ebby422
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi

nice write up !!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
papereyes
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D Msport

Excellent job

Now you have me interested.

How much were the speakers? BMW quoted me nearly £1.3k for the fornt rear and subs for tophifi
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
dark1x
Registered
Rep
Drives: Acura TL

Anyone have any thoughts on where the best place to purchase these speakers (in Europe) might be? I have found all of the necessary parts on realOEM but I'm not certain where to actually go about buying them.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark1x
Anyone have any thoughts on where the best place to purchase these speakers (in Europe) might be? I have found all of the necessary parts on realOEM but I'm not certain where to actually go about buying them.
In my opinion you can find those parts from the salvage partouted cars. I know one in sweden, but i dont have their company name on top of my head. I should dig my emails to find them. I'll let you know when i found them.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white
Appreciate 0