2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Rear Cracked

10-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
sqeezed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 M5

nope nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #24
MajorBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e88 135i, 2008 e60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecked2001 View Post
So I accomplished the differential bushing swap this past Saturday, and I have a few DIY observations. If you are used to doing "heavy" car maintenance, this is not a complicated job. It is however time consuming, it took me 8 hrs with a run to the BMW dealership to complete the bushing swap along with the rear flex disc. To everyone considering to attempt this, a lift is a must. It think it would take at least two days doing this on the floor. Another note, if you have a stock exhaust I would consider changing the flex disc at the same time while your in there. This is what caused my trip BMW, my flex disc was cracking from the differential side, but not all the way through. The rear differential bushing was in the same condition. The KTC tool I used worked perfectly. I used anti-seize on the threads of the bolt to prevent galling. It took roughly 30 mins to remove the old bushing and install the new bushing using hand tools. The stock exhaust is a two man effort, and at least three pole jacks to get it down. All-in-all, it isn't the worst job I done on a car, but not the easiest. I honestly had more frustration with the serpentine belt tensioner than this. I am here for any questions you guys have.

Thanks for the details, I may be doing this in the next few weeks as well. I am getting a slight clunking sound from the rear on hard acceleration. My 535i is a CPO car but now I'm wondering if they will cover this. I'm confident in my ability to do this but will need to settle on jack stands since i don't have access to a lift. Can you briefly mention the order of events?, Remove exhaust, disconnect drive shaft etc...? Also, was it necessary to completely remove the Diff ? lastly, how did the front bushing look and should i expect to replace those as well? I will do the Flex disc also while i'm at it. Thanks again for any addition insight or tips, Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #25
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorBob View Post
Thanks for the details, I may be doing this in the next few weeks as well. I am getting a slight clunking sound from the rear on hard acceleration. My 535i is a CPO car but now I'm wondering if they will cover this. I'm confident in my ability to do this but will need to settle on jack stands since i don't have access to a lift. Can you briefly mention the order of events?, Remove exhaust, disconnect drive shaft etc...? Also, was it necessary to completely remove the Diff ? lastly, how did the front bushing look and should i expect to replace those as well? I will do the Flex disc also while i'm at it. Thanks again for any addition insight or tips, Rob
Remove exhaust, Remove heatshields, Remove the carrier bearing mount bolts (for movement), Removed the two front diff mounts bolts while supporting the diff, Removed the rear diff mount bolt, lower the diff to gain access and work space, use tool to draw out rear diff mount, install in reverse. I left the diff connected an even left the tires on. Not really any tips just work slowly and double check everything. The flex disc is probably the harder job of the two. The flex disc is pretty straight forward. I marked mine with white marker to keep alignment. Your BMW dealer should have all of the torque values. If you have anymore questions hit me up.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #26
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZennnZennn View Post
Hey Guys,

WTH with the BMW dealer taking my car just for an alignment and they bring this up and show me this picture to fix this and it will cost me around $2000 for a peace of rubber cost $100

Any Help in the Bay Area to fix this with better $

Thanks
wow
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #27
MajorBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e88 135i, 2008 e60 M5

Quote:
Remove exhaust, Remove heatshields, Remove the carrier bearing mount bolts (for movement), Removed the two front diff mounts bolts while supporting the diff, Removed the rear diff mount bolt, lower the diff to gain access and work space, use tool to draw out rear diff mount, install in reverse. I left the diff connected an even left the tires on. Not really any tips just work slowly and double check everything. The flex disc is probably the harder job of the two. The flex disc is pretty straight forward. I marked mine with white marker to keep alignment. Your BMW dealer should have all of the torque values. If you have anymore questions hit me up.
Perfect, seems pretty straightforward. Dealer also told me not covered by CPO so will be doing myself in the next few weeks. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #28
Alimby22
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 2011 550i

Quote:
So if I understand you correctly, you never fully removed the diff or disconnected the left and right output shafts to the wheels. You simply left everything connected to the diff and dropped it enough to get to 3 mounting bushings to replace them. Correct?

I was wondering how tough it would be to slide those output drives off the diff.

Thanks for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #29
wrecked2001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i Msport/Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimby22 View Post
So if I understand you correctly, you never fully removed the diff or disconnected the left and right output shafts to the wheels. You simply left everything connected to the diff and dropped it enough to get to 3 mounting bushings to replace them. Correct?

I was wondering how tough it would be to slide those output drives off the diff.

Thanks for the advise.
That is correct. I left everything intact except the driveshaft because I changed the rear Guibo. Honestly you probably could leave everything attached, just remove the mount bolts and lower the diff to get access.
Appreciate 0