2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Potential F10 Purchaser

06-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Pitch3110
Rep
Drives: A4 S line Saloon

Potential F10 Purchaser

Gents,

Been lurking for a while as the time to change my car gathers pace.

I have been in S line A4's for 6 years and a 320d M Sport tourer prior to them for 3 years, so I am not completely new to BMW.

I moved to Audi as I found the styling of BMW's not that appealing and the cabin and build at the time was IMO better with the A4.

Anyway........ My list (although very small) has whittled down to a 2.0TDI Multitronic S Line and a 520d M Sport with Sport+ Auto.

Having had the both for a few days, I was a tad disappointed as neither blew me away, although both are a marked improvement on my A4. Both have lots going for them and indeed minuses also, with the big grudge on the F10 being the styling, lack of colours, media quality (maybe not that bad) and my perceived image.

After a lot of thought, I have today made my mind up and I am pretty sure the F10 is for me as it does win in so many areas.

Questions........
1. Any views from chaps migrating from Audi into an F10 would be appreciated?
2. Standard audio. Is it good or is it a must to upgrade?
3. I have read so much on VDC and have ticked the box. Good idea?
4. Real time MPG of the 20d

And Spec...

B90 - Sophista Grey.
LCCX - Oyster/Black Dakota Leather.
2ND - 19" 351M Alloy Wheels.
337 - M Sport Pack.
ZGA - Visibility Pack.
ZGC - Professional Media Pack.
ZGN - Advanced Parking Pack.
233 - VDC.
2TB - Sport Auto Transmission.
614 - Internet.
654 - DAB.
761 - Sun Protection Glass.

Thoughts and guidance would be very much appreciated prior to continue negotiations (pleasantly surprised by level of discount already) with local dealers and pressing the button.

Ta
Pitch
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
Gents,

I have been in S line A4's for 6 years and a 320d M Sport tourer prior to them for 3 years, so I am not completely new to BMW.

I moved to Audi as I found the styling of BMW's not that appealing and the cabin and build at the time was IMO better with the A4.

Anyway........ My list (although very small) has whittled down to a 2.0TDI Multitronic S Line and a 520d M Sport with Sport+ Auto.

Having had the both for a few days, I was a tad disappointed as neither blew me away, although both are a marked improvement on my A4. Both have lots going for them and indeed minuses also, with the big grudge on the F10 being the styling, lack of colours, media quality (maybe not that bad) and my perceived image.

After a lot of thought, I have today made my mind up and I am pretty sure the F10 is for me as it does win in so many areas.

Questions........

And Spec...

B90 - Sophista Grey.
337 - M Sport Pack.
ZGA - Visibility Pack.
233 - VDC.
614 - Internet.
654 - DAB.

Thoughts and guidance would be very much appreciated prior to continue negotiations (pleasantly surprised by level of discount already) with local dealers and pressing the button.

Ta
Pitch
I just bought my F10 - 2 weeks back.
Sophisto Grey looks fab.
I have Oyster/ Oyster, again looks great.
I have chosen VDC and recommend it anyday. All the reviews that you read about saying the car is not as good as without VDC are absolutely right - put in sport mode and the car is a different car. I also have a 3 series Coupe (330), and the VDC makes the F10 a lot sportier - closer to my 3 series. In Comfort+ on potholes, it does glide like a Jag XF. Good decision.
Professional Audio - I have it and it sounds a lot better than my Coupe ( the coupe has the standard audio); so I would get it.
Not too sure about the 19" - the run flats will give you a lot of tram lining, I went for stock 17. This is my personal experience from Coupe with 18" staggered setup.
Visibility pack - a must.
I have comfort pack with power boot lid - great as it can open with both hands full - kick under the boot!
I have the Professional Media Plus pack - the HUD is absolutely awesome, well worth any price.
I have SLI - works great with HUD
I did not go for Parking Pack - have seen it; and is a great option.
Check Ambient lighting as well, not sure it's standard on 520
I also added the Mobile application/ USB interface (not the standard, but add on) - with so many apps like Siri from Apple, it makes it a bit future proof.

You have made the right choice, you'll love the F10.

I did evaluate the Jag XF and the A6; before putting my money on F10. This is my 3rd BMW; all custom ordered; and I have loved them all.

I have driven enough A4, and I think the F10 is a winner.
      06-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

You can't get 17" wheels on the M-Sport.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I also have a sophisto grey car and and recommend this colour.
I went for black interior .

I've gone for the professional stereo which I think overall is good.
Treble is very clear although over bright and the bass can be boomy so needs some amendments in the equaliser to flatten things out a bit. Its never going to be up to audiophile standards and I'm sure you can always do better but I'm certianly happy with it - plenty of volume to drown out any noise tehre may be (although the F10 is a very quite car anyway)
I only heard the standard audio system briefly on a test drive listening to the radio which was ok - difficult to resally give an informative comment on it but like most things, if you can afford to upgrade its probably worth doing so.

I went for professional nav with HUD and certianly no regrest there. The HUD is really good and now I wouldn't want a car without it.

I have 19" 351 style wheels with msport suspension - I find the ride on the whole fine, its not as firm as my E39 msport I had previosuly, its a little more supple but potholes are certianly felt in the car and I make sure I avoid them in the road if I can.
As Gspannu said, the 19" wheels do tramline , thats just a feature of having a wide wheels.They are 245 on the front and 275 on the back so pretty wide.
I've not experienced any other suspension systems other than the SE which is a bit smoother.
Like anything in a car, best if you can try out a car with the options and make the decision on what you prefer. There's no right answer here, its what you like that counts.

I've gone for the visibility package simply as I wanted xenon (no brainer) and he package was only slight more than just ticking xenons and you get adaptive lights as well. I've not tried these on unlit roads as of yet but I think well worth going for. You must go for xenons (which also give you those nice angel eye DRLs) and if you do that , it makes sense to go for the visibility package anyway.

I've gone for he sport auto given it was only slight more than the standard - I thought he flappy paddles would be a gimmick but have actually used them a bit. I'd say go for that.

I didn't go for internet

I opted for DAB given I'm planning to keep the car for 10 years and don't want to find in a few years time that we can't get FM stations. shame its a £350 option but I think if you plan to keep the car past 3 years, its worth doing. If FM stations do go away then it may justhelp selling the car as well even if it has no residual value as such.

I didn't got the sun protection glass but did go for the climate comfort windscreen. not a must have option though.

If you budget allows it, I'd go for he alcantara headlining which is simply loverly. Only car you might see in teh showroom that might have this will be a M5, was told its not a common option to be ordered.

I see you are aksing baout fuelconsumption - I have a 530d and my figures are over 1400 miles average is 39mpg. Around town is typically nudging 35mpg if driven sensibly - maybe 30 or even 25 if heavy footed. Motorway hourneys at 70mph arond 40mpg but with some calm driving at 50-60 mph 50 is easily achiveable and I once saw 60mpg before I pulled off the motorway - but that was a test to see what I could get and is not typical driving.
as I say that for the 3 litre , so would expect yo get more than that, others on this forum will let o knwo what they getting.

in terms of negotiations, push hard, Imanaged to get 11% off (everthing including options) you may be able to get mode potentially.

I'd also pay the £400 for the 5 years servicing - no brainer.

Only 2 issues I have had to date is drifting to the left - brining the car into the dealership this saturday to take a technician on the motorway to show the issue. Car has been KDS aligned.
Realtime traffix info (google rtti) also doesn't work on some journeys

Oher than that, perfect and everyone I've shown eh car to has had an envious look on their face!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

@AP : Good write up & advice….
      06-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Pitch3110
Rep

gspanno - Great write up ta and what does mobile application add??
AP - Same as above matey and thanks. Discount comments welcome and with no arm wrestling I have been offer 9%, so a tad more bargaining required.

Has anyone had any experience of running upto the quarter end and eagerness for a deal to be driven??

Many thanks guys once again for the responses, very much appreciated.

Pitch
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

Pitch, I've just written up a reply to teh brokers thread on the main forum as to how I went about getting the dicsount that I did.
Suspect you can get a bit more. My purchase wasn't at the quarter end although I've heard that can make a difference with dealers trying to fulfill their quotas. If thats the case, just a few days left!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep

pitch , I mean this forum , the one called brokers.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
gspanno - Great write up ta and what does mobile application add??
AP - Same as above matey and thanks. Discount comments welcome and with no arm wrestling I have been offer 9%, so a tad more bargaining required.

Has anyone had any experience of running upto the quarter end and eagerness for a deal to be driven??

Many thanks guys once again for the responses, very much appreciated.

Pitch
Mobile Application lets you connect your iPhone to iDrive and use loads of Apps like Facebook, Twitter, Radio, BMW apps - all accessible from the iDrive directly. Makes your car more gadgety... If you understand what I mean...
      06-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

I think that's a great spec. Other posters have given good feedback on recommended options.

I bought a car that was 'in stock' so couldn't spec an upgrade to the stereo: even though I have prof nav, it only came with the basic speaker set-up and it is so much poorer than what was in my e60 (not even speakers - only blanks - next to the door mirrors!). Sounds OK with CDs and iPod/media but FM radio sucks...

Coming from an S-line Audi, you will find the Beemer much softer. The F10 is a lot more comfy than the e60; but I find the body control and damping lacking (even in M-sport spec with 19" RFT) and I would willingly trade some back... Therefore, I think VDC is worth checking out. Put it this way: I haven't driven one with VDC as yet, but I sure as hell will search one out when the time comes to change my current car.

Finance wise, quarter end is always good... I couldn't/wasn't able to wait, so ended up with a (brand new) car from stock to get a 10% discount and 5%-ish APR (can't remember exact amount at the moment ).

Good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Pitch3110
Rep

Right Gents......

Cheers En1gma and gs for further thoughts and since chatting further to a pal who has just took delivery I have a dilemma .......

Cost needs to be reviewed as we have to stick to a budget......don't we???????

So....... Here it is...

VDC v Mobile App / USN / Business Sound / Black Display / Anthracite Trim.

Which one would you have?? VDC or all the bits???

Ta
Pitch
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

As you are going for 19’s, I'd recommend VDC.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Pitch3110
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A900ss View Post
As you are going for 19’s, I'd recommend VDC.

Good luck.
I think I recognise that user name ......... TZ??

Pitch
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #14
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

VDC. And keep business sound as well... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

Quote:
I think I recognise that user name ......... TZ??

Pitch
Yep!!

Hoping to do a 1st month/3,000 mile update to my initial test drive report this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #16
Pitch3110
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A900ss View Post
Yep!!

Hoping to do a 1st month/3,000 mile update to my initial test drive report this weekend.
Looking forward to it.

Many thanks for comments to date and as a result I found myself here.

Pinged preferred spec out yesterday to the localish dealers, with the view to prucure the car as a purchase rather than BCH and first one back is better than expected.

Ta
Pitch
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #17
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

Had my carbon black 520d M sport for 15 months now, covered 37k miles, drive it hard and it's averaged 45mpg. Have sport auto, 19's, visibility pack, pro media, folding mirrors, electric seats, sunroof, sun protect glass, rear spoiler, rear seat heaters, split fold rear seats, brushed Ali interior trim, Dab and love my car with a passion. Don't have VDC or upgraded speakers and don't feel I need them. Only thing I wish I'd added was ACS lowering springs to make it look a little meaner. Hope you enjoy whatever you finally decide upon.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #18
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

PS got over 10% off list on my car from Arden Maidstone if that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
StealthBomber
Rep
Drives: 530d F11

VDC - essential, good choice. Won't have M-Sport suspension though - has Sport+, Sport, Normal & Comfort setting instead as well as ECO-PRO. This is a GOOD thing - you can choose depending on how you feel.

Audio - I went for the Pro-Audio. At around £700 I think its essential too if you value good quality music - the regular audio was lacking something, a little dull, lifeless. The pro-audio is great quality and clarity and goes louder than is comfortable before distortion becomes apparent - not sure how much louder, as it's too painful to find out.... the good thing not being that you can make your ears bleed, but that you can choose any volume and be happy with the sound. If this was the £2k top option as in an Audi, you'd have to really wonder if it was worth it, but really just £350 more than the business audio, I think its either this or don't bother upgrading at all. I have not heard the business audio mind you, but I am betting the pro is worth the beans.

I was concerned before delivery because I ordered it blind (or deaf!) and some advertise it as having "concert" mode which made me worry about over processed artificial sound - worry not. The affect is subtle and very pleasing - just broadens the feel of the sound so that you are not at all aware you are listening on one side of a glass and metal box. Quite a feat when you consider how close your right ear is to a pane of glass. I have a £3K home system and at that level of fussiness, I am still impressed with it. There are no obvious shortcomings IMO.

If you are not past the point, add it to the list, you won't be disappointed. You can add options during the pre-build phase, up to 4 weeks or so before the car is due for delivery, but ask your dealer ASAP for when that date is. By the way, I got 14% off the list price - got a broker price and managed to get the dealer to beat it.

Last edited by StealthBomber; 07-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: added note on discount
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
StealthBomber
Rep

Quote:
Gents,

Questions........

And Spec...

B90 - Sophista Grey.
337 - M Sport Pack.
ZGA - Visibility Pack.
233 - VDC.
614 - Internet.
654 - DAB.

Ta
Pitch
By the way, DAB is rubbish. Sound quality is poor - its MP2 (yes the one before MP3). Not a BMW issue, fundamental to UK DAB. DAB+ will be better, but is not planned for UK and could be 10-15 years away!!!! the ONLY reason to get DAB is that you know of stations that only broadcast on DAB in areas you travel. Otherwise FM is better quality. I did buy the DAB option with this knowledge in mind, but if you are expecting something high quality over FM, think again, its worse. If I had the choice of either DAB or upgrade from business to pro audio, it would be the latter.

And the internet option is useless - it was only £65 so I thought what the hell, but really, I'd have had more fun burning £65. It is VERY VERY slow, really hard to navigate and very slow and hard to enter search criteria. I cannot imagine anyone ever uses it other than to impress your kids and mates that you have Google in the car.

If the professional media pack is the Pro-Navigation (I think it is), look up my thread on the BMW Pro-navigation. I really don't rate it at all and more than 50% of people in that poll suggest at the least its not goof value. It looks quite nice and is big and integrated, but in terms of actual navigation, getting you from A-B efficiently without confusing you, taking you the long way or failing to have the location you are looking for, its very poor IMO.

Last edited by StealthBomber; 07-01-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: More information.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
StealthBomber
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
You can't get 17" wheels on the M-Sport.
Bear in mind the SE with VDC has the exact same suspension layout as M-Sport with VDC. You can then select an SE and make it looks like an M-Sport without the options you did not want. Not always cost effective, but something to consider.

I stayed with 17" wheels for the same reason, but I know many just can't take the look. That said, the VDC soaks up a lot, even on an M-Sport - I test drove an M-Sport VDC and the std M-Sport wheels were not too bumpy in my view, and I value comfort very highly.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Gents,

Questions........

And Spec...

B90 - Sophista Grey.
337 - M Sport Pack.
ZGA - Visibility Pack.
233 - VDC.
614 - Internet.
654 - DAB.

Ta
Pitch
Some great options you have added, I added HUD and found this and DAB the best options you can buy at a sensible price....have a look at HUD if you are able.

If you go for the BMW, be proud of the brand and engine...don`t debadge....
Appreciate 0