2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Anybody else with "Increase Battery Discharge"

05-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #67
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

I took delivery of my new 2014 M-Sport end of March. It has about 1,000 miles. I've seen this message twice. Both times when I had the car out in the drive to wash. All I did was back it out. Also had the doors open to clean the interior. The message came on when I pulled it back into the garage. Haven't seen it any other time. No rhyme or reason to it really. Just sounds as if the car sensed a power drain with a short start/off cycle and turned off some systems to prevent a drain.

I did have a battery problem back in January with my 2011. The message however, was stronger and referenced a discharged battery. Ended up being a bad cell and I had the battery replaced.

My SA says the computer monitors functions and in his opinion is conservative in sending out this new message. Find it hard to believe I would have a battery problem after only 1,000 miles. I don't even use the auto start/stop.

Right now I'll just monitor and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
After having my battery replaced for "increased battery discharge" less than one year ago, I'm now getting this new never before seen message. I didn't leave anything on and I've gotten it multiple times thus far. Why!? Why!? Why!?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #68
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, it turns out that I had a poor battery cable connection, the negative terminal was loose, so it caused the error message to appear. Cleaning the battery post from corrosion and re-tightening it made my car work properly. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " BMW Increased Battery Discharge on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 07:52 AM   #69
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

"Discharge while stopped" means that the IBS system in the car detects that other electrical systems in the car are drawing more than acceptable power when the vehicle electronics are supposed to be asleep. Tools like ISTA will show you stored logs indicating which circuit branch violated the rules and sometimes even the exact module.

It may very well be that the act of you working on the battery and disconnecting it long enough to do all that cleaning rebooted a module with a software problem and that was the true fix.

There should not be corrosion on your battery posts, and you should potentially investigate that all on its own. Typically this means that acidic gases are being expelled by the battery around the post seals. This is not normal. The battery spec for the F10 is AGM - gas production should be minimal and the seals should keep it in.

Is your F10 fitted with an aftermarket or improper specification battery? Has the battery been physically damaged or lifted by its posts? Have you checked that your system voltage is not too high (it should be between 13.5VDC and 14.8VDC while the engine is running, depending on many factors)?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 11:10 AM   #70
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

also dash cam, if you connect your dash cam to a fuse that always delivering power all the time your car will throw battery discharge warning after hours

mine always do this and I just shut the dash cam off whenever I park my car in a closed garage
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2023, 04:18 PM   #71
mozaah685
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw active hybrid 5

im having this issue right now in my active hybrid. does anybody know if it is due to being on comfort access? because i feel like it is. sometimes my fob key wont work at all sometimes ill walk away from car after pressing lock on fob key and itll lock and about 10 seconds itl unlock it self as im walking away. do i code comfort access off?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:44 PM   #72
TuunedF10
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw 535i

im having this issue right now in my active hybrid. does anybody know if it is due to being on comfort access? because i feel like it is. sometimes my fob key wont work at all sometimes ill walk away from car after pressing lock on fob key and itll lock and about 10 seconds itl unlock it self as im walking away. do i code comfort access off?

If it’s a comfort access issue you can test it by disconnecting the comfort access door handle where you hear it locking or unlocking itself on its own..you want to slide out the door handle and unplug the comfort access connectors and then slide the door handle back in it’s pretty simple to do there is a rubber grommet inside the door jamb you take that off revealing a torx screw then use a torx bit with a long handle to turn the screw and the handle will pull out
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #73
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
CA is a common culprit to cause the "Increased Battery Discharge While Stopped" message. For me, it would occur when the car sat idle for ~2 days AND there was significant rain (handle was shorting out on the circuit board solder points).

And yes, my car would do crazy stuff like unlock itself while I was walking away in a crowded parking lot.

A good scan tool will give you the error codes to tell you where the circuit problem is.
I used Bimmerlink and it dialed me in to passenger rear door circuit faults.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 06:03 PM   #74
Jasonlaw
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post
CA is a common culprit to cause the "Increased Battery Discharge While Stopped" message. For me, it would occur when the car sat idle for ~2 days AND there was significant rain (handle was shorting out on the circuit board solder points).

And yes, my car would do crazy stuff like unlock itself while I was walking away in a crowded parking lot.

A good scan tool will give you the error codes to tell you where the circuit problem is.
I used Bimmerlink and it dialed me in to passenger rear door circuit faults.

It was your door handle for comfort access (keyless)..lock the car by remote and try to walk toward your car from all 4 corner..the one you walk toward with unlocking all door is the faulty handle..disconnect the faulty handle wire and retry to confirm
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 12:27 AM   #75
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 550i xdrive

I got this message yesterday and today what does it mean do I need to charge the battery or buy a new battery? What does the message mean for me the interior lights are not on when I open the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #76
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep

I have a penny inside my car front console cigarette lighter I got it when I had the car and I think thats what’s causing the battery discharge or it’s the battery I think it’s the penny inside the cigarette lighter. How do I get the penny out of the cigarette lighter I need plastic or wood to get out. Please tell me what to do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 07:30 PM   #77
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by razfrankel View Post
I have a penny inside my car front console cigarette lighter I got it when I had the car and I think thats what’s causing the battery discharge or it’s the battery I think it’s the penny inside the cigarette lighter. How do I get the penny out of the cigarette lighter I need plastic or wood to get out. Please tell me what to do?
Gum on a stick.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:15 PM   #78
razfrankel
Private
United_States
Rep

I have a penny inside my car front console cigarette lighter I got it when I had the car and I think thats what’s causing the battery discharge or it’s the battery I think it’s the penny inside the cigarette lighter. How do I get the penny out of the cigarette lighter I need plastic or wood to get out. Please tell me what to do will that fix the issue buy a new fuse as well?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:05 PM   #79
Riley Jo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528i

I own a 528i 2012 drive. I was driving my car just fine then I get the “increased battery discharge” sign on my idrive. Then all of a sudden, my steering wheel stiffs up and I can’t steer easily no more. Then the abs light pops up so I pull over and try to restart the car after shutting it off and no go. After jumping the car, it turns on but shuts off after I unplugged the charging cables. I’m wondering if it’s the battery or alternator. Please someone help !
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:52 PM   #80
JAYDOG3621
Rep
Drives: 13 528i 13 535i 19 x5 19 230ix

I would say it is most likely your battery, not alternator.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:51 PM   #81
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
+1 on battery, Get that checked out first.
Appreciate 0