2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding NEW! Fully Integrated DAB retrofit for £299

08-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
NEW! Fully Integrated DAB retrofit for £299

The email copied below popped into my Inbox and is just what some of us have wanted to see from BMW.

FULLY INTEGRATED DAB
DIGITAL RADIO £299.
SOUND GOOD?

Delivering access to a wide variety of radio stations, the BMW DAB Digital Radio is yours for a one-off cost of just £299 that includes all fitting and labour and a full three-year warranty.

The system works through your existing radio head unit with a small aerial that is fitted discreetly to the inside of the windscreen, and you'll soon be singing the praises of the handy wireless remote control that can be mounted to the dashboard allowing you to change through the stations seamlessly.

• Pin-sharp audio clarity
• Access to a wide variety of radio stations
• Seamless integration
• Handy wireless remote control
• Three-year warranty
• All for just £299 including fitting

To find out more call us on 01926 333888 or email bookingswarwick@rybrookbmw.co.uk

Rybrook Warwick
Heathcote Lane
Warwick
Warwickshire CV34 6SP
www.rybrookwarwick.co.uk

Terms and Conditions: Suitable for BMW cars from 1998 production onwards with RDS text function (please check availability with your dealer). To check coverage in your local area please visit www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch. Excludes Channel Islands.

Last edited by SpokenHands; 08-29-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Cluttering the interior with a "small aerial" and a "handy wireless radio control" doesn't really sound like "seamless integration" to me...
      08-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The remote control is in addition to iDrive operation and is like the one you get on the F01/F07 for rear seat operation if you so choose. You can operate this DAB from the idrive in the normal way.

Most DAB units have a window aerial to maximise the reception footprint as the sharkfin antenna is not sufficient - it is usually fixed to the rear windscreen on the F01/F07/F12/F13/F20 that I have seen with DAB and this is no different.

Presume you dont have DAB on your current car?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

There will be a whole mess of these available when DAB comes relevant. In Norway that is in 2019. And to be honest, in 2019 DAB is already obsolete and only used by technological dinosaurs. By then, even spotify as we know it is obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Jimmeh1988
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
There will be a whole mess of these available when DAB comes relevant. In Norway that is in 2019. And to be honest, in 2019 DAB is already obsolete and only used by technological dinosaurs. By then, even spotify as we know it is obsolete.
This product is aimed at the UK market where we have had DAB radio since the early 2000's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
mistry
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Did the email have any pictures attached?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
Presume you dont have DAB on your current car?
No, but I'm pretty sure that the BMW factory DAB option is far better integrated by using/sharing the antenna in the roof fin and the existing iDrive / steering wheel controls. (Decided against it because I'm using the radio maybe 1-2hours per year only...)
      08-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh1988 View Post
This product is aimed at the UK market where we have had DAB radio since the early 2000's.
We also have dab radio, but there is FM broadcasting up to 2019. At the minimum. Is FM broadcasting abandoned in the UK? There seems to be a decreasing traction for dab technology in Europa. More and more operators or abandoning the technology. The users never liked it* Maybe it will be just a silly UK and Norway thing in the end.

*source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12...adio_research/
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
We also have dab radio, but there is FM broadcasting up to 2019. At the minimum. Is FM broadcasting abandoned in the UK? There seems to be a decreasing traction for dab technology in Europa. More and more operators or abandoning the technology. The users never liked it* Maybe it will be just a silly UK and Norway thing in the end.

I love it. There are a kazillion channels including some good ones like Talksport that are only on DAB or AM (not FM). With AM the reception is awful. It even works in Cumbria!
      08-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Jimmeh1988
Rep
Drives: F10 Msport

Quote:

FM isnt abandoned - DAB has different channels on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List

The DAB option in the UK brings many DAB-only radio channels and while FM is expected to continue to broadcast for a few more years, the clarity of sound on DAB makes it a worthwhile expense especially if you are a music/radio enthusiast and have a HK or Hi-Fi upgrade or Professional Loudspeaker in your car.

The BMW factory-fitted DAB do NOT use the sharkfin antenna but have a separate windscreen mounted antenna to improve reception quality. I have this on my current F20 and retired F12. They are iDrive operated both on the steering AND idrive control on centre console AND iDrive remote control (if you have that option for rear seat operation.)

Finally DAB/DAB+ is likely to be replaced by Internet Radio (available in BMW if you tick the Internet Option and BMW Apps Option). However this requires a separate 3G enabled phone paired to the car, an unlimited data plan, and obviously being in a good reception area for use. While it is the future, FM and DAB are robust options until such time as Internet-Radio becomes the norm.

I did not get DAB on my F07 / 5GT and a retrofit though bimmertech was looking like upwards of €1000 when i wrote to them last with further labour, fiting and re-coding costs. For this to be done all inclusive at £299 is a steal. I am booked in already!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post

The DAB option in the UK brings many DAB-only radio channels and while FM is expected to continue to broadcast for a few more years, the clarity of sound on DAB makes it a worthwhile expense especially if you are a music/radio enthusiast and have a HK or Hi-Fi upgrade or Professional Loudspeaker in your car.

The BMW factory-fitted DAB do NOT use the sharkfin antenna but have a separate windscreen mounted antenna to improve reception quality. I have this on my current F20 and retired F12. They are iDrive operated both on the steering AND idrive control on centre console AND iDrive remote control (if you have that option for rear seat operation.)

Finally DAB/DAB+ is likely to be replaced by Internet Radio (available in BMW if you tick the Internet Option and BMW Apps Option). However this requires a separate 3G enabled phone paired to the car, an unlimited data plan, and obviously being in a good reception area for use. While it is the future, FM and DAB are robust options until such time as Internet-Radio becomes the norm.

I did not get DAB on my F07 / 5GT and a retrofit though bimmertech was looking like upwards of €1000 when i wrote to them last with further labour, fiting and re-coding costs. For this to be done all inclusive at £299 is a steal. I am booked in already!
All good points. If I didn't already have DAB I would definitely go for this option. As you say, it is a steal - most unlike BMW!
      09-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

That looks like connects2 autodab product as i saw this :

http://www.getdigitalradio.com/dab-news/view/374

Halfords is seling it for £149 + 30 fitting.

Just noticed its on BMW UK website - so i might give my local dealer a call to find out if it works on F10.

Last edited by sunnyUK; 09-01-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyUK View Post
That looks like connects2 autodab product as i saw this :

http://www.getdigitalradio.com/dab-news/view/374

Halfords is seling it for £149 + 30 fitting.

Just noticed its on BMW UK website - so i might give my local dealer a call to find out if it works on F10.
Very interesting. Does dealer confirm it is the same?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Quote:
SpokenHands

The remote control is in addition to iDrive operation and is like the one you get on the F01/F07 for rear seat operation if you so choose. You can operate this DAB from the idrive in the normal way.
But this is what Digital Radio says:

Quote:
All DAB functions are controlled by a radio frequency remote control fixed to the dashboard and favourite digital radio stations can be stored for quick access, with FM radio stations still available.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Interesting customer review here suggests Autodab products works well, good reception, seamless integration and fitting, though antenna patch on windscreen passengerside not invisible.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_265865#tab3

£299 fully fitted at your BMW dealer OR
£149 if bought online at Halfords.com
£30 to fit / takes an hour at least.

Not all Halfords centres trained to install this unit on BMWs.

According to AutoDAB for BMW pages on Halfords and on Connect2 site
It uses existing car steering controls and displays, verified by BMW customer above as well.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_265865#tab1

Good find SunnyUK.

Last edited by SpokenHands; 09-01-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Brianmaslen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

Autodab retrofit for F07

Has anyone gone the retrofit option with BMW or tried the DIY route on a 530D F07 please. What's involved in getting access to the radio?
Appreciate 0