2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes TPMS system in US '16 550i

12-14-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
infiniteend
Rep
Drives: '16 CBM 550i xDrive

TPMS system in US '16 550i

Hi,

I came from a Subaru WRX, (Honda Accord) previously and they both ran on similar systems I believe. Well, with my accord, I ran TPMS-less on my summer set as it didn't affect much. On my WRX, I had an aftermarket tpms with a separate set of IDs that I used an ATEQ TPMS tool to configure. So essentially I had a tool with my two sets of wheel's sensors programmed into the car and all I have to do is plug, press and it resets to a new set (per season).

With the BMW sensors, I'm a bit confused. It seems that I can "set them" using the iDrive system. Is that the case? I just go to the "reset TPMS" part and click it? And anyone know if I get them from Tire Rack, do I need to activate them (the battery)? The WRX sensors needed a separate tool to activate the batteries.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

You can get them from Tire Rack. You just swap your wheels, start the car, hit reset TPM on iDrive and then drive off. The car will take care of the rest. There is no "Activation" of the TPM before you mount them in the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
infiniteend
Rep

Alright, cool! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
infiniteend
Rep

so weather permitting, I finally put on the winter set. But now... I have another issue and I'm really confused with the car.

I was wondering if anyone can explain how the car's TPMS/iDrive TPMS system works.

So I have a 2016 US model 550, so from what I know, it uses actual sensors (which I have bought and installed from Tire Rack) and not the Canadian abs system tire pressure monitoring. So I had my garage put swap the sensors on to my winters (17") and put them on. Then from what I've read on this and bmfest, I just hit TPMS reset and went on my way.

I got readings after driving around for a bit, but I was wondering how the whole system works. Should I have set it to Front 38/Rear 39 psi (as it says on the door jamb) but I did drop the diameter 2 inches (from 19 m-sport wheels to 17) AND THEN do the reset or does it just read it automatically (and whatever readings I'm getting is what the actual PSI is? cause eventually, I'd like to code it to read temperature too)

And should I adjust the pressure (from 38/39) to something else, maybe the 34/39 recommended for stock 17" wheeled 535 or it doesn't work like that?

And how can I tell if the TPMS system is the Canadian ABS style or the normal actual sensor style (and I didn't just waste my money?)

Thanks in advance, this new high tech stuff really confuses me. I'm used to a simple sensor, wheel, use ateq (or other tools) & reprogram ID. Never a system on the computer that just WORKS with new sensors.
Appreciate 0