2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs How To Keep Aerosol Tire Dressing Off Your Rims

03-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

How To Keep Aerosol Tire Dressing Off Your Rims

I've tried about all the tire dressings out there - from wipe on ones to aerosols, but with aerosols they spray all over the rims. So I tried to fashion up some sort of rim cover with something laying around the house, then I saw the trash cans. One of my Rubbermaid Roughneck 32 gallon trash cans was worn out from dragging it on the ground out to the curb every week, but the lid was still good. I placed the lid against my 20" wheels and it's almost a perfect fit, except at the two locations opposite of each other where the lid latches onto the can, but while holding the lid against the tire you can't spray more than 180 degrees at a time anyway. The only problem is that the top is flat and there's no handle. That's an easy fix - I grabbed my door lockset jig and took out the 2-1/4" hole saw, put it on my Makita cordless drill and cut a hole in the center of the lid. Now I have a place to hold on to it. This makes using spray dressing really easy and now I don't have to go back and wipe all the fallout off the wheels with a damp cloth.

As for the spray I use - Turtle Wax Tire Ultra Shine, a can is only $2.79 at Wallyworld, it's quick and easy. As long as you don't go hog wild and spray it on real heavy you can drive away in about 5 minutes and it won't fling off the tires and all over your doors and rear fenders.

Doesn't get much easier than that.

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 03-15-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Jdubya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
I've tried about all the tire dressings out there - from wipe on ones to aerosols, but with aerosols they spray all over the rims. So I tried to fashion up some sort of rim cover with something laying around the house, then I saw the trash cans. One of my Rubbermaid Roughneck 32 gallon trash cans was worn out from dragging it on the ground out to the curb every week, but the lid was still good. I placed the lid against my 20" wheels and it's almost a perfect fit, except at the two locations opposite of each other where the lid latches onto the can, but while holding the lid against the tire you can't spray more than 180 degrees at a time anyway. The only problem is that the top is flat and there's no handle. That's an easy fix - I grabbed my door lockset jig and took out the 2-1/4" hole saw, put it on my Makita cordless drill and cut a hole in the center of the lid. Now I have a place to hold on to it. This makes using spray dressing really easy and now I don't have to go back and wipe all the fallout off the wheels with a damp cloth.

As for the spray I use - Turtle Wax Tire Ultra Shine, a can is only $2.79 at Wallyworld, it's quick and easy. As long as you don't go hog wild and spray it on real heavy you can drive away in about 5 minutes and it won't fling off the tires and all over your doors and rear fenders.

Awesome idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer

[IMG]http://imagecdn-0.findnsave.com/97/6933680[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/u...psdm8nsfce.jpg[/IMG] Doesn't get much easier than that.
You should approach pep boys with this idea. Really cool.

You could use a much thinner piece of plastic, but the idea is still the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

Any idea can be improved. I took something that I was going to throw out and made it work for a specific purpose. In the 80's (I'm dating myself here), I had something similar - the concept was the same, but it was much thinner plastic that had steps from 13" - 17" and you simply cut the edge of what size you wanted. It worked fine for a few months, but due to being thinner plastic it cracked and fell apart.
This idea is so easy to copy, I don't know if it's worth the time and expense to make a product to sell.
      04-19-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

How many days of shine or "wet look" do you get out of an application?

I currently use the spray bottle/sponge method, which dries out in a couple of days (although to its credit, does not leave an oily build-up on the tires like other brands).

Does this stuff leave a thick residue that gums up over time?

Also, A+ for the Macgyver Roughneck mod!
      04-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrf10
How many days of shine or "wet look" do you get out of an application?

I currently use the spray bottle/sponge method, which dries out in a couple of days (although to its credit, does not leave an oily build-up on the tires like other brands).

Does this stuff leave a thick residue that gums up over time?

Also, A+ for the Macgyver Roughneck mod!
I get a week of shine of it doesn't rain during the week.
I don't know if it leaves w build up because I use Simple Green and a scrub brush on the tires every time I wash the car as the brake dust will attach itself and you know how nasty that gets. I've also used Renew Protect
with excellent results and that will last for months, but you need to make sure the tire surface is clean with no reside before applying.

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 05-12-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

No troll, but I'm surprised that people still use this. Considering the fact how many quality liquid or gel tire dressings there are, you don't need these cans any longer.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

You're right, there are many quality tire dressings out there, but for a week's worth of protection/shine the spray can is the cheapest route and the trash can lid is one way of keeping the dressing off the rims. It's quick, easy, and cheap. Renew/Protect is the best product, but once any type of silicone based protectant/dressing is applied to the tires R/P won't adhere correctly. It's best applied when the tires are new and the protective/soap layer has been cleaned off the tires - Scrubbing Bubbles and a scrub brush, that works great.
      05-15-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
...... I use Simple Green and a scrub brush on the tires every time I wash the car as the brake dust will attach itself and you know how nasty that gets......
Be careful with your wheels. The green Simple Green will eat aluminum...... I use Wheel Wax on the wheels and the brake dust doesn't stick. For the tires I use either Surf City Garage tire dressing of Aerospace 303 Protectant. Brake dust doesn't stick to either of those products.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I just stick with the ole' sponge method. It's a pretty cool idea tho what u came up with!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Consider a quality water-based tire dressing instead of these aerosol or other silicone based dressings.

Water based products will help to nourish the rubber over time, and will actually absorb into the surface instead of sit on top of the surface and sling off.

2 of my personal favorite water based dressings are CarPro PERL or Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel.

Since these products are water based, they can also be diluted to alter the appearance to suit your taste. I prefer to use PERL neat (undiluted) for a bit more gloss as seen below. You will notice that the tire still has a clean, natural look to it compared to many of the ridiculously over the top glossy dressings.

Product Review: CarPro PERL by Zach McGovern
Product Review: Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel by Zach McGovern

Each product is a breeze to apply... simply add a small amount to a tire applicator sponge and spread evenly over the tire in thin coats. Allow the dressing to soak in for at least 15 minutes before either applying a 2nd coat, or gently wiping the tire if you have over applied and it has not fully dried. The dressing should be nearly dry to the touch if applied properly (ie when you wipe it with your finger, there should be very little to no residue). Keep in mind that your tire dressing will perform much better if you have a perfectly clean tire, so be sure to use a proper tire cleaner and tire brush during your car wash to prep for dressing application afterwards.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0