2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)

12-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

BMW N63 engine service action (Service Bulletin B001314)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Took my car in yesterday and my service advisor said there is a recall on the n63 motor that he hadn't seen before.

Details were limited but he said they have to test a bunch of the parameters on how the engine performs, send that data to BMW and depending on what they see, BMW may require the dealer to replace certain components of the engine. Said this could take several days to complete.

More info by NickG:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG_TechniqueTuning View Post
This is a 2-part campaign by BMW for cars with the N63 engine. It was announced on 12/29/2014 and called "N63 Customer Care Package", bulletin B001314. The highlights are:

- check the timing chain for stretch; replace if necessary
- check the following items and replace if necessary: fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump, low pressure fuel sensor
- change the oil service interval to 12 months/10,000 miles

Even if your car is out of warranty (ie, 5 years old and has 200k miles), it is covered by this campaign and costs the owner nothing. The dealers are instructed to call all N63 owners in their area and schedule the cars to come in for this service, pending the dealership's availability. The dealership is instructed to provide a loaner car of equal or higher class to the customer (per N63 Customer Care Package Outbound Service Script document).

BMW is also offering extra incentives for owners affected by this campaign to trade in their N63 vehicle and purchase a new car (called the N63 Customer Loyalty Offer, details in a separate sales bulletin).

Also associated with this campaign is the "N63 Customer Appreciation Program". The dealerships are authorized to provide the customer with a gift of $50 value. This could be a gas card, gift bag containing BMW Lifestyle products, vehicle detailing, etc.

More info:

Quote:
On December 29th, 2014, BMW released Bulletin "B001314" or the "N63 Customer Care Package " affecting any vehicle that saw use of the 4.4-liter V-8 (N63B44O0) within the 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5, and X6 model lines manufactured between 2008 and 2013. Dealership instructions include checking the timing chain for stretching and replacing it if necessary, replacing the fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump and low pressure fuel sensor.

The sweeping recall also extended to vehicles that had gone out of warranty, no matter how many miles were accumulated on the vehicle.

Additionally, the service interval would be shortened to nearly half, with a 12 month/10,000 mile (16,000 km) check-up instead of the long-life treatment the BMW had been maintaining up to that point, requiring a check every 2 years and 15,000 miles (25,000 km).

In June of 2013, dealerships had received a service bulletin regards to the N63 powerplant, which amended the oil capacity requirements of the engine, adding a full (1) US quart to the capacity of the motor, citing "increased oil consumption" in the twin turbo V8.

Models affected by the recall included:

F01 and F02 (7 Series Sedan)– produced from 3/2009 to 6/2012
F04 (Active Hybrid 7)– produced from 4/2010 to 6/2012
F07 (Gran Turismo)– produced from 9/2009 to 6/2012
F10 (5 Series Sedan)– produced from 3/2010 to 7/2013
F12 (6 Series Convertible)– produced from 3/2011 to 7/2012
F13 (6 Series Coupe)– produced from 7/2011 to 7/2012
E70 (X5)– produced from 3/2010 to 6/2013
E71 (X6)– produced from 7/2008 to 6/2014
E72 (ActiveHybrid X6)– produced from 9/2009 to 9/2011

The dealership bulletin was accompanied by region sales rep meetings with branch/service managers, informing of them of the forthcoming campaign, and issuing instructions to contact all owners serviced at their branches operating the N63 engine. The accompanying marketing campaign, which would be a major focus of 2015 for BMW world-wide, was intended to dampen the affect of such a wide spread recall on BMW's waining brand loyalty and customer service issues. The tactics of which could be seen in the extended efforts surrounding the recall.

BMW dealerships were instructed to offer extra incentives for owners affected by this campaign, offering trade-in cash bonuses for their N63 equipped vehicles with the purchase of a new BMW (details in a separate sales bulletin - "N63 Customer Loyalty Offer"). Sales teams were also provided with discretionary authorization to provide customers with a gift of $50 value, including anything from a gas card, gift bag containing BMW Lifestyle products, or vehicle detailing.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

I took mine in for the routine service yesterday and was hit with this recall that is a 38 hour service. The service adviser said that this just came out and will get with one of the techs to find out what all is involved with it. He said that he does know that injectors are included as well as checking the timing chain(s). I've already had my injectors replaced so I should be good on that item.
      12-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

which dealership, OP? I am taking mine in for some strange noises under the hood that shouldn't be heard on a BMW... maybe a pulley or something... I will probably let them keep it for the recall work...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante269 View Post
which dealership, OP? I am taking mine in for some strange noises under the hood that shouldn't be heard on a BMW... maybe a pulley or something... I will probably let them keep it for the recall work...
I go to advantage midtown and use Jeremy Renner exclusively. Best SA I've used in last 7 years.

I took my car in originally for a metal grinding sound under the hood after starting the car. It sounded like the noise a car makes (before keyless ignition) when you turn the key after its running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I took mine in for the routine service yesterday and was hit with this recall that is a 38 hour service. The service adviser said that this just came out and will get with one of the techs to find out what all is involved with it. He said that he does know that injectors are included as well as checking the timing chain(s). I've already had my injectors replaced so I should be good on that item.
Chili, keep us posted when you get more info from your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

alright guys !!! so just saw this thread and decided to text my friend also happens to be my SA at bmw.

I told him about this thread and he replied like this.

"shhh, I cant tell you until those items come in "

oh so you know about this recall !?

"yea, not released yet tho, possibly sometime in January, I'll keep you posted"
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante269
Sounds like the starter issue myself and a few others on here have had. I too took my car in a few weeks ago and my SA said they were going to replace the starter, but the part is back ordered till sometime in January so I have to take the car back in to get it done. Wonder if this is the new recall or if it's something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
NickG_TechniqueTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

This is a 2-part campaign by BMW for cars with the N63 engine. It was announced on 12/29/2014 and called "N63 Customer Care Package", bulletin B001314. The highlights are:

- check the following items and replace if necessary: fuel injectors, mass air flow sensors, crankcase vent lines, battery, engine vacuum pump, low pressure fuel sensor

Even if your car is out of warranty (ie, 5 years old and has 200k miles), it is covered by this campaign and costs the owner nothing. The dealers are instructed to call all N63 owners in their area and schedule the cars to come in for this service, pending the dealership's availability. The dealership is instructed to provide a loaner car of equal or higher class to the customer (per N63 Customer Care Package Outbound Service Script document).

BMW is also offering extra incentives for owners affected by this campaign to trade in their N63 vehicle and purchase a new car (called the N63 Customer Loyalty Offer, details in a separate sales bulletin).

Also associated with this campaign is the "N63 Customer Appreciation Program". The dealerships are authorized to provide the customer with a gift of $50 value. This could be a gas card, gift bag containing BMW Lifestyle products, vehicle detailing, etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
NickG_TechniqueTuning
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I go to advantage midtown and use Jeremy Renner exclusively. Best SA I've used in last 7 years.

I took my car in originally for a metal grinding sound under the hood after starting the car. It sounded like the noise a car makes (before keyless ignition) when you turn the key after its running.
That's a sticking starter solenoid. Somewhat of a common problem and not associated with the campaign in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Looks like I need to give my peeps at BMW Woodlands a holler.
I wonder what incentives they are offering on new rides. If they gave me a deal on a 428 or 435, there's no way I could say no.
      12-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

Sorry, RS... LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #11
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:

Im glad to hear this, I already had the injectors replaced and the Maf sensor, runs good but still shakes after a hard run.
Id gladly have them check for anything else wrong without me having to go there and bitch and try to come up with a good reason so they can check into.

ha, all they have for loaners thats close is a new 528i, I demand a 650i Gran Coupe !! lol
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I'm very interested in the trade in program. Anymore details yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
The_Transporter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Wow great info all around! This is why it's good to keep up with the forum!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I went in for a tire replacement(pot hole accident) and I was told my car would be in the shop for the next 2 weeks due to this recall. My vehicle is affected by everything in this recall so it's getting all the parts replaced. On top of that, they are trying to figure out the burnt oil smell(I'm guessing leaking turbo).

Unfortunately, I got an X1 2.8i for a loaner. Does anyone know the rules about loaners? Can I ask for a better one cause the X1 is stupid loud and jarring.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

We should all get i8s lol.
Ok, no that's asking a lot.
Fine, I'll take the M6 Grand Coupe. But nothing less. :-D
      12-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Hmmm, they gave me a 328 stripper for a loaner, I guess that means that I should be getting a better than $50 value goodie bag. Lifestyle products sounds like "playing on the same team" products - they should just call it BMW swag.
      12-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
NickG_TechniqueTuning
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
Hmmm, they gave me a 328 stripper for a loaner, I guess that means that I should be getting a better than $50 value goodie bag. Lifestyle products sounds like "playing on the same team" products - they should just call it BMW swag.
Obviously the dealerships don't have enough F10's and F01's to loan out to everybody at once. Hence why they're instructed to call the customer and SCHEDULE this work to be done, that way they can ensure they can provide the appropriate loaner car. If people just show up without an appointment, and expect to get an upgraded car with no notification, they're in for a disappointment (and it's not the dealership's fault).
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
kondor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M Sport

I'll wait for the call to come pickup my M5 loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i

Anyone know if this affects the N63Tu or just the N63?
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2014, 08:43 PM   #20
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

I would think that all of these issues were addressed in the N63TU engine but who knows
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #21
chsu74
Rep
Drives: 550XI, 993TT, GL320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG_TechniqueTuning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post

That's a sticking starter solenoid. Somewhat of a common problem and not associated with the campaign in this thread.
Thanks. Have the same problem and thought it is a bad belt tensioner..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #22
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

time to take mine in