2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Clicking noise in rear of car after engine shutoff and parking

01-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Clicking noise in rear of car after engine shutoff and parking

I've been getting this wierd clicking or ticking noise in the rear of the car about a few seconds right after I turn off the car. I know people will say it's the exhaust metal cooling down but it's not. I purchase this car in September 2015 and it's been doing it since day one. I was wondering if any other members car does the same thing like mines. Or any chime of advice or help would be good.

Here is a short video that I posted up. There is two clicking noise in the video, one is a consistent ticking sound from the exhaust cooling down and the second is the clicking sound I'm trying to figure out. Here's the link to my video:

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomyang View Post
I've been getting this wierd clicking or ticking noise in the rear of the car about a few seconds right after I turn off the car. I know people will say it's the exhaust metal cooling down but it's not. I purchase this car in September 2015 and it's been doing it since day one. I was wondering if any other members car does the same thing like mines. Or any chime of advice or help would be good.

Here is a short video that I posted up. There is two clicking noise in the video, one is a consistent ticking sound from the exhaust cooling down and the second is the clicking sound I'm trying to figure out. Here's the link to my video:

Sounds like relays switching, yes? Mine does that but I have no clue what it is...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yea, you are right, it does sound like relay switching. But it does that for a mintue or so than stops. It's kinda annoying because i hate hearing it click when I pump gas. Anyone else have or solved this clicking?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

That doesn't sound right at all. The higher pitch clicking definitely just sounds like the exhaust system cooling down, but the lower, almost "clunking" noise is totally foreign sounding - loud also. Curious what you find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally had the chance to bring the car in for the weird ticking noise. BMW tech showed me what they found that was causing the issue. BMW techs found a faulty door handle that was giving incorrect access signal through comfort access. It was activated even when the handle was not touched. Car would also unlock itself when walking by close enough with key fob thru comfort access. They had order a new handle, reprogram software and now the problem is gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Finally had the chance to bring the car in for the weird ticking noise. BMW tech showed me what they found that was causing the issue. BMW techs found a faulty door handle that was giving incorrect access signal through comfort access. It was activated even when the handle was not touched. Car would also unlock itself when walking by close enough with key fob thru comfort access. They had order a new handle, reprogram software and now the problem is gone.
Just noticed this topic.

I had a comfort access problem, where the same relay sounds would occur when the fob was in close proximity of the driver's side rear door. Car would unlock itself without contact.

Same thing, new door handle was required. In my case it put a heavy drain on the battery and went into low battery warning mode. Due to low voltage also started messing with other systems. The garage disabled CA until the new handle arrived and was fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yup, you are correct, this also gave me the low voltage problem and the key is not detected error when trying to start the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Thanks for the update - interesting. Glad they figured it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M-Sport

Just had this problem this morning. Thought it was a low battery on the key fob and changed that but it didn't fix it. I also noticed that I was not able to lock the rear passenger door by touch anymore the past few weeks. Think this will be covered under CPO warranty? My regular warranty just ran out in December, car is a 2012 535 m sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
///Msport
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M-Sport

I had this issue as well. The dealer changed two door handles and it is no longer unlocking on its own.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #11
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer722 View Post
Just had this problem this morning. Thought it was a low battery on the key fob and changed that but it didn't fix it. I also noticed that I was not able to lock the rear passenger door by touch anymore the past few weeks. Think this will be covered under CPO warranty? My regular warranty just ran out in December, car is a 2012 535 m sport.
I would call and ask a service advisor if this is covered under CPO warranty to be safe. But your issue does sound like at faulty door handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #12
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Msport View Post
I had this issue as well. The dealer changed two door handles and it is no longer unlocking on its own.
Which of your two door handle was causing the problem? I'm wondering why and what is causing these door handle to malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would call and ask a service advisor if this is covered under CPO warranty to be safe. But your issue does sound like at faulty door handle.
I have an appointment on Monday so I'll keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have an appointment on Monday so I'll keep you guys posted.
Update...Got the car back today and it was a faulty driver rear door handle. There is a 3 week back order for parts so once it gets in I'll go back and have it put installed. In the mean time they disconnected it so It would not drain the battery. This was also covered by my CPO warranty so I'm happy about that. I can't imagine the cost if it was not covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #15
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update...Got the car back today and it was a faulty driver rear door handle. There is a 3 week back order for parts so once it gets in I'll go back and have it put installed. In the mean time they disconnected it so It would not drain the battery. This was also covered by my CPO warranty so I'm happy about that. I can't imagine the cost if it was not covered.
Good news that it's still covered under CPO warranty and that you got the issue resolved. Suck that you have to wait 3 weeks for a single part to come in and can't use comfort access. Mines was available so didn't have to wait long. Just being curious about the price since you said something about it so I looked up the price of a comfort access door handle, it is $249 and BMW labor about $150/hr. So about $400 to $500 if not covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
bimmer722
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good news that it's still covered under CPO warranty and that you got the issue resolved. Suck that you have to wait 3 weeks for a single part to come in and can't use comfort access. Mines was available so didn't have to wait long. Just being curious about the price since you said something about it so I looked up the price of a comfort access door handle, it is $249 and BMW labor about $150/hr. So about $400 to $500 if not covered under warranty.
Actually not as bad as i thought. I was figuring closer to the $700-$800 range. I wonder if this something that will eventually happen to the other door handles? I did as my SA and he said no. Curious to see how many other people are having this problem if it a 3 week back order.
Appreciate 0