2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 5-series rendition closest yet to final design
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6513

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,625
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up BMW F10 5-series rendition closest yet to final design

This image by Huckfeldt is said to be the closest resemblance yet (very close, in fact) to the real thing. If true, I love the look and am happy to see that the front kidney grills have been scaled down in size to fit the smaller F10 5-series sedan/touring's front fascia (compared to the overall larger sized 5-series GT model). Checking this image against the F10 bumper discovered on ebay a while back(photo below), it's easy to believe that this image is indeed close to the final thing



Name:  huckfeldt.jpg
Views: 17897
Size:  374.0 KB


Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
319

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,326
iTrader: (0)

This can only generate negative feedback. Even if it's relatively accurate, it still looks weird.

The character line doesn't look right either, based off of the black/white F10 test cars.

Huckfeldt's renderings have been slacking for a while imo.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 2009M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Modesto


Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

I'm sold on this iteration of the 5er. Now I just need to hear the pricing schedule.

BimmerLoyalist: which character line are you referring to?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
United_States
423

 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY


Posts: 17,533
iTrader: (0)

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
daveI
Private
United_States
0

 
Drives: Z4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA


Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Comparing it to that white front clip this looks like its 100% accurate!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
21

 
hotrod2448's Avatar
 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC


Posts: 2,015
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
It's pretty vanilla to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
6513

 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA


Posts: 16,625
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
This can only generate negative feedback. Even if it's relatively accurate, it still looks weird.

The character line doesn't look right either, based off of the black/white F10 test cars.

Huckfeldt's renderings have been slacking for a while imo.
Judging by the comments from this site and around the web, I believe you're in the vast minority so far regarding the feedback to the expected look of the F10. And while Huckfeldt's renderings have been slacking for a bit, there's no denying the accuracy of this particular rendering compared to the physical F10 bumper sighted on ebay (posted above).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
Mx3
M
3

 
Mx3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northern CA


Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Looks nice. Cant really tell until I see the final version on the road.
__________________
Past BMW's
1975 2002 w/bbs,stahl header,weber, ++
1973 2002 flared,race susp ++
1989 325i vert w/Dinan
2003 M3 SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
319

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshields View Post
I'm sold on this iteration of the 5er. Now I just need to hear the pricing schedule.

BimmerLoyalist: which character line are you referring to?
Character line usually refers to the defining shoulder line. In this case it's a protruding crease, like on the e92. Judging from the latest F10 test pics you can see that it's more of a step like the E60's. The lower line is typically referred to as the swage line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Judging by the comments from this site and around the web, I believe you're in the vast minority so far regarding the feedback to the expected look of the F10. And while Huckfeldt's renderings have been slacking for a bit, there's no denying the accuracy of this particular rendering compared to the physical F10 bumper sighted on ebay (posted above).
Fair enough, but I still stand by my opinion.

I'm not saying it's way off, it's obviously close. You provided evidence. The execution is off.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Mii
First Lieutenant
41

 
Mii's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US


Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Nice find! If the illustration is not spot on, it would be very close! The vertical grills need a bit more forward (3D) appearance as shown in FEP pictures. It'd be an interesting review comparing all three tourings.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
schnell330i
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: birmingham


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

dont we already know what it looks like??????

leaked brochure shot:
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #12
Mii
First Lieutenant
41

 
Mii's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US


Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

If the Ebay bumper is believed to be the real thing, then the suggested (rumor) brochure shot is not quite as accurate, but seemingly close. Look at the V crease line angle opening around the BMW roundel emblem on the Ebay bumper shot, it's wider opening angle. The crease lines followed through the hood crease line and made wider V in viewing perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
schnell330i
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: birmingham


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
If the Ebay bumper is believed to be the real thing, then the suggested (rumor) brochure shot is not quite as accurate, but seemingly close. Look at the V crease line angle opening around the BMW roundel emblem on the Ebay bumper shot, it's wider opening angle. The crease lines followed through the hood crease line and made wider V in viewing perspective.
i think it looks wider because the roundel isnt there and the angle at which the pic is taken.

What makes people think that the brochure shot isnt the real car??? Not only does it not look like its photoshopped, but it appears to share the ebay bumper and its obviously not a 7 series or 5 GT. And if recent history repeats itself, the ebay bumper is the real thing (F01 7 series bumper also showed up on ebay and it turned out to be the real thing)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Steve325xi
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY Metro


Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Looks great!

Remember when Bangle derided the e46, e39 and e38 for being the "same sausage, different length"?

The 7 and 5 are looking mighty close and my guess is the F30 3 series will as well. I guess it's a good thing Bangle is gone...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Steve325xi
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY Metro


Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

And two more quick points:

1.\ The swooping character lines on the outside of the hood that we first saw on the CS concept and now brought to the 7 and 5 are really very cool.

2.\ The Mercedes E class shown on the same magazine cover above is one of the worst looking MBs ever. I saw a bunch of E classes in Europe last month and every time I just thought: blech, terrible
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
MCMLXXXIX
wat
50

 
MCMLXXXIX's Avatar
 
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oct 2008


Posts: 3,410
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve325xi View Post
Looks great!

Remember when Bangle derided the e46, e39 and e38 for being the "same sausage, different length"?

The 7 and 5 are looking mighty close and my guess is the F30 3 series will as well. I guess it's a good thing Bangle is gone...
if Bangle executed the e46, e39, and e38 in the same manner, i dont see how its a good thing hes gone if its happening again without him

i love that theyre looking the same, but this 5 is just...ehh, to me. i like the 7 way more
__________________

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #17
Steve325xi
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2001 BMW 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY Metro


Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
if Bangle executed the e46, e39, and e38 in the same manner, i dont see how its a good thing hes gone if its happening again without him

i love that theyre looking the same, but this 5 is just...ehh, to me. i like the 7 way more
I don't understand your post, sorry. Yes, Bangle *executed* the e46, e39 and e38 -- by killing them off and creating his abysmal "flame surfacing design language" and models that bore almost no resemblance one another.

Granted, this is what BMW's board asked him to do. Now they want sausage again. I say good on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
schnell330i
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: birmingham


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

lets not forget, bangle designed the e46!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
MCMLXXXIX
wat
50

 
MCMLXXXIX's Avatar
 
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oct 2008


Posts: 3,410
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve325xi View Post
I don't understand your post, sorry. Yes, Bangle *executed* the e46, e39 and e38 -- by killing them off and creating his abysmal "flame surfacing design language" and models that bore almost no resemblance one another.

Granted, this is what BMW's board asked him to do. Now they want sausage again. I say good on them.
ohhhh my bad, i misread your post. i thought you said that Bangle made them look similar. im a full on fan of bangle but i do like this direction BMW is going with as well
__________________

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Mii
First Lieutenant
41

 
Mii's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US


Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell330i View Post
i think it looks wider because the roundel isnt there and the angle at which the pic is taken.

What makes people think that the brochure shot isnt the real car??? Not only does it not look like its photoshopped, but it appears to share the ebay bumper and its obviously not a 7 series or 5 GT. And if recent history repeats itself, the ebay bumper is the real thing (F01 7 series bumper also showed up on ebay and it turned out to be the real thing)
There is no doubt the leaked F10 5er bumper from Ebay would be the real thing following the F01 7er. The brochure shot was not accurate in many finer details. First of all, the hood bonnet joining headlight should be slightly curved up (similar to E60 but much less curved as the FEP shots we have seen); it was also mentioned several times by SCOTT before. The bumper and hood flame lines were more like a chop from 5er GT. More detail can be referred to this thread, which confirmed it's a very good chop though not the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
Ace7
New Member
0

 
Drives: AW E65/JB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York/Toronto


Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Closest one I've seen. Very close...

It's hard to notice but the "leaked" photo is actually a 5 GT chop. In Huckfeldt's rendering, the hood is much flatter which is the case for the F10. In the "leaked" photo, the hood is steeper, like the 5 series GT.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST