2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Will turbodiesel be offered in the States?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Tachyon
New Member
Tachyon's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: Ares I
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NV

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Will turbodiesel be offered in the States?

I surely hope so! The F10 looks to be a beautiful car and it would be a shame if a turbo diesel variant weren't offered here. I'm fairly certain that this will be my next BMW - a diesel option would be icing on the cake. The F10 is far more interesting to me than the new W212, just from the pictures, and a turbo diesel BMW would be more appealing to drive just as the 335D and X5D are compared to Mercedes-Benz and Audi diesel offerings.
__________________
2001 740iL Sport (current)
1999 540i Sport (sold)
1998 528i (sold)
1985 535i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
bdardashti
Captain
bdardashti's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
986
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

I remember a long time ago BMW NA said they would like to bring over the 335d and X5 xDrive35d, followed by the 535d if sales allowed for it. This was a good 2-3+ years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a F10 535d offered in the States in a year or two. I don't think it will be offered as MY2011 though, because they stated they would do 528i, 535i, 550i for 2011.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
DieselDog
New Member
DieselDog's Avatar
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 1994 E36 Coupe - 318is
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Harrisburg, PA

iTrader: (0)

I would love to see a manually-shifter 530d here in the States. From the posted spec-sheets, I see that they offer it in Europe. The combination yields great efficiency, with the sporting control I enjoy in a manual. I'd ditch my Jetta TDI AND E36 318is for an F10 530d with a stick IN A HEARTBEAT. I must be the *ONLY* person liking this combination because all the marketing "geniuses" would rather sell 535d, 535i, or 550i models. Hmmm. Perhaps there will be a black market for 530d models with a stick...

By the way, here's a comparison shot of the E60 and F10. I always HATED the rear door cut-line and the cutline on the rear decklid (Bangle-butt). For some reason, my eye followed the rear window down into the taillight (Bangle referred to this as a "downward curve of classisism," I called it a droopy ass...). The F10 rear-door cutline looks nicely curved. The bottom cutlines of the doors are nicely disguised in the F10. The cutline along the side for the rear bumper is now nicely curved upwards to the rear instead of running paralell to the ground. The leading edge of the front door cutline seems pushed forward, making the front doors seem longer and more elegant than the E60. And to top it off, the goofy curves of the E60's headlamp units (when viewed from the side) are gone in the F10, replaced by a more harmonious (though less adventurous) single curve around the front side marker lamps incorporated in the headlamp units.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

I think that the x35d variants will disappear over time and will be replaced by the x30d and x40d new generation diesels. It makes sense since the 30d still makes 400 ft-lbs of torque and is more fuel efficient than current 35d engine. The new 40d variant will be the high power model with even more torque and 306hp.

I am hoping that the 30d engine with AWD will be available in the 5 series and 5 GT. The 40d seems over kill for such a car... I am personally kind of hoping that they keep this engine restricted to the 7 series and X5/X6.

I'd be on board for a 530d with 8-speed auto (I am ready to leave the manual world) and xDrive as long as it was less money or the same as 535i xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
2,272
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i and 2014 535d x
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I just took delivery two weeks ago of a 2010 X5 35d and would highly support other BMW diesel engines and availability in other models; the 35d is so awesome that I am now a fully converted BMW diesel nut! So, please bring on a 530d and a 540d M - wouldn't that be cool.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
Tachyon
New Member
Tachyon's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: Ares I
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I think that the x35d variants will disappear over time and will be replaced by the x30d and x40d new generation diesels. It makes sense since the 30d still makes 400 ft-lbs of torque and is more fuel efficient than current 35d engine. The new 40d variant will be the high power model with even more torque and 306hp.

I am hoping that the 30d engine with AWD will be available in the 5 series and 5 GT. The 40d seems over kill for such a car... I am personally kind of hoping that they keep this engine restricted to the 7 series and X5/X6.

I'd be on board for a 530d with 8-speed auto (I am ready to leave the manual world) and xDrive as long as it was less money or the same as 535i xdrive.
epiphone,

The 40d eight-cylinder turbo diesel in the N. American market would just be icing on the cake. I'd be highly satisfied with the latest generation turbo diesel 3.0 inline six, though. I assumed the current motor in the X5d and 335d was the latest generation turbo diesel 3.0 inline six, do you happen to know about the major differences in the latest tech?
__________________
2001 740iL Sport (current)
1999 540i Sport (sold)
1998 528i (sold)
1985 535i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,235
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

There is no BMW eight cylinder diesel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Tachyon
New Member
Tachyon's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: Ares I
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
There is no BMW eight cylinder diesel.
The M67 certainly is an eight-cylinder turbo diesel that's been around for awhile. However, the F01 740d uses a six-cylinder turbo diesel, N57D30TOP, producing 302 bhp and of which I'm just now made ware of.
__________________
2001 740iL Sport (current)
1999 540i Sport (sold)
1998 528i (sold)
1985 535i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
27
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
epiphone,

The 40d eight-cylinder turbo diesel in the N. American market would just be icing on the cake. I'd be highly satisfied with the latest generation turbo diesel 3.0 inline six, though. I assumed the current motor in the X5d and 335d was the latest generation turbo diesel 3.0 inline six, do you happen to know about the major differences in the latest tech?
Actually, the new 40d engine is the update of the current 35d. Put it this way, the 30d engine (single turbo) got updated recently to be more power full and more efficient via an updated fuel system and, I believe, updated turbocharger technology. The 35d engine has been updated recently in a similar way and becomes the 40d variant currently available in the 7 series (or soon to be available). I don't know if BMW will continue to carry the 35d variant as it may not make sense to continue with a 3.0 liter diesel that makes 425 ft-lbs torque when the two in the new generation make 400 ft-lbs and (I believe) 450 ft-lbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
EmPower
Captain
EmPower's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
901
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I think that the x35d variants will disappear over time and will be replaced by the x30d and x40d new generation diesels. It makes sense since the 30d still makes 400 ft-lbs of torque and is more fuel efficient than current 35d engine. The new 40d variant will be the high power model with even more torque and 306hp.

I am hoping that the 30d engine with AWD will be available in the 5 series and 5 GT. The 40d seems over kill for such a car... I am personally kind of hoping that they keep this engine restricted to the 7 series and X5/X6.

I'd be on board for a 530d with 8-speed auto (I am ready to leave the manual world) and xDrive as long as it was less money or the same as 535i xdrive.
FYI, the 35d in europe makes 286hp and here it is detuned to make 256/265 (i forget). Thanks to our emission laws, we will get a slower motor.
__________________
e92 Schwartz/Koralle Rot/Pappel Grau/ZSP/Sitzheizung

Real Men drive BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #11
Tachyon
New Member
Tachyon's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: Ares I
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Actually, the new 40d engine is the update of the current 35d. Put it this way, the 30d engine (single turbo) got updated recently to be more power full and more efficient via an updated fuel system and, I believe, updated turbocharger technology. The 35d engine has been updated recently in a similar way and becomes the 40d variant currently available in the 7 series (or soon to be available). I don't know if BMW will continue to carry the 35d variant as it may not make sense to continue with a 3.0 liter diesel that makes 425 ft-lbs torque when the two in the new generation make 400 ft-lbs and (I believe) 450 ft-lbs.
I'm just amazed at how far engine technology has come. It seems that engine efficiency and improvement is advancing at a much faster rate compared to technology leaps from the 70s - 80s, 80s - 90s, etc. My 2001 E38's engine produces 282hp and is certainly no slouch, but the new F10 550i will have 400 horsepower and 450 ft.-lbs. of torque, more than the E39 M5 of 2003. Incredible!
__________________
2001 740iL Sport (current)
1999 540i Sport (sold)
1998 528i (sold)
1985 535i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Rich535d
Private
United Kingdom
6
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: 525d F10 auto
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Leicester, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 525d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
FYI, the 35d in europe makes 286hp and here it is detuned to make 256/265 (i forget). Thanks to our emission laws, we will get a slower motor.
It is still a great engine though - even if you do get the de-tuned one!
__________________
Current: F10 525d Sport Automatic in Space Grey with Black Dakota leather interior
Previous: 535d Sport (2005), Mystic Blue, Grey Dakota Leather, Xenons, Bluetooth phone, professional navigation, folding rear seats
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
pharding
Captain
United_States
26
Rep
880
Posts

 
Drives: '11 550i + '14 X3 28i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

If the 535 diesel were available for the 2011 F10, I would buy it in a heart beat.
__________________
14 550i Euro Del
14 X3
11 550i Euro Del
Retired: 08 550i Euro Del; 06 330i Euro Del; 04 545i Euro Del; 01 530i Euro Del
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
diesel, f10

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST