2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Couple more shots of Sophisto Gray 2011 BMW 5-series in Dingolfing (12/29/09)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6710
Rep
16,676
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Couple more shots of Sophisto Gray 2011 BMW 5-series in Dingolfing (12/29/09)

2011 5-series sightings continue throughout Germany as this Sophisto Gray F10 was just spotted in Dingolfing. Spottings will no doubt continue until the F10 5-series' official public debut at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show next March. Pics courtesy of bimmertoday


Name:  f10-5-series1.jpg
Views: 9885
Size:  240.9 KB

Name:  f10-5-series2.jpg
Views: 9340
Size:  128.8 KB
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
MCMLXXXIX
wat
MCMLXXXIX's Avatar
54
Rep
3,410
Posts

 
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oct 2008

iTrader: (0)

looks like a darker space gray
i like it!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
13
Rep
587
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone else notice the side profile of the new 7 and 5 series not flowing so well? The entire front part, especially where the fender is, looks too skinny compared to the high roofline and thick rear trunk and bumper. Also, the windshield and the doors start a little too far back and there's too much overhang on the rear wheels. I know it's for safety and handling reasons but it's starting go overboard now.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
No_Country
105
Rep
5,247
Posts

 
Drives: TiAg Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ***

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Does anyone else notice the side profile of the new 7 and 5 series not flowing so well? The entire front part, especially where the fender is, looks too skinny compared to the high roofline and thick rear trunk and bumper. Also, the windshield and the doors start a little too far back and there's too much overhang on the rear wheels. I know it's for safety and handling reasons but it's starting go overboard now.
I think the angle is a bit off here with wide angle lens. It real life its not like that.

To me actually car looks more and more like our 3 series! I thought previous gen 5 series was ugly at how stretched the wheelbase looked and how short the nose was (almost same as ass on some angles). And wheels were tiny on it. Now they at least dont look too small.
__________________
'07 TiAg BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si / Everything
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
bdardashti
Captain
bdardashti's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
986
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME View Post
Does anyone else notice the side profile of the new 7 and 5 series not flowing so well? The entire front part, especially where the fender is, looks too skinny compared to the high roofline and thick rear trunk and bumper. Also, the windshield and the doors start a little too far back and there's too much overhang on the rear wheels. I know it's for safety and handling reasons but it's starting go overboard now.
I've got model cars for all the 2000-era Bimmers. I was looking at the previous E65 compared to the F01, and yes the overhang is reaching MB territory. I thought shorter overhang was good for handling too? From what I understood, shorter overhang meant longer wheelbase in shorter car, and better handling..

I looked at pictures for the F10, and I can't see what you mean by the skinny front though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,236
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Just before Christmas , several models of the 5er were brought to Munich for the last stage of testing which involves BMW personell driving the cars and submitting them to every day use. You will probably see a lot more of these cars in photographs only the badges are covered.

I am in the UK at the moment in the Hampshire area visting friends before heading north to Scotland for New Year.
You might see a Space Grey 530d if you are in these areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
yashBMW
Superior Genral
England
2
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

dudes,
I'm in a fix, I have a choice. Either I choose a 4 year old White M5 with a few (i mean, very few) miles on it or I go all out and get one of these 550i's.
Which one do you think I should get !

P.S.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
vladberca
Brigadier General
vladberca's Avatar
Romania
39
Rep
3,781
Posts

 
Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Craiova

iTrader: (0)

^ for better performances take an M5... for a better quality and not so bad performances take the new 550i
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
13
Rep
587
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I've got model cars for all the 2000-era Bimmers. I was looking at the previous E65 compared to the F01, and yes the overhang is reaching MB territory. I thought shorter overhang was good for handling too? From what I understood, shorter overhang meant longer wheelbase in shorter car, and better handling..

I looked at pictures for the F10, and I can't see what you mean by the skinny front though.
Sorry, I ment that the far back windshield and doors are for safety and handling reasons. Not the overhanging bumper.

Maybe not skinny...kinda hard to explain. I think the hood is too vertical for too long because everything is being pushed so far back. I think you can notice it more on the 7 series though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
skimo
Lieutenant
25
Rep
531
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin Texas !!

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to skimo
At first look, I thought that was a 3 series pic1 Nothing against the design of the 5 exterior, but I just wish they were not that afraid of making bold statements. Looks like a replica of the 3. For a the average non expert eye like me, the new 5er is just a larger 3er with a facelift.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
481
Rep
5,352
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOWTIME
Does anyone else notice the side profile of the new 7 and 5 series not flowing so well? The entire front part, especially where the fender is, looks too skinny compared to the high roofline and thick rear trunk and bumper. Also, the windshield and the doors start a little too far back and there's too much overhang on the rear wheels. I know it's for safety and handling reasons but it's starting go overboard now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I've got model cars for all the 2000-era Bimmers. I was looking at the previous E65 compared to the F01, and yes the overhang is reaching MB territory. I thought shorter overhang was good for handling too? From what I understood, shorter overhang meant longer wheelbase in shorter car, and better handling..

I looked at pictures for the F10, and I can't see what you mean by the skinny front though.
I think what he meant was that the front end is low, sleek yet the rear end is quite high and from the mid-section onwards the car is much more muscular and bigger in size. Also, there is a big difference between front/rear overhang.

I actually think the 5 series is much like the old E39 which is perfect and the only thing I would change is the hood detailing that BMW is adding down the middle of the hood. It just looks fussy to me. Apart from that, perfect car.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
481
Rep
5,352
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Just before Christmas , several models of the 5er were brought to Munich for the last stage of testing which involves BMW personell driving the cars and submitting them to every day use. You will probably see a lot more of these cars in photographs only the badges are covered.

I am in the UK at the moment in the Hampshire area visting friends before heading north to Scotland for New Year.
You might see a Space Grey 530d if you are in these areas.
Does this mean a photoshoot for the UK spec 5 series will be released soon? I'd like to see it in Space Grey.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
bdardashti
Captain
bdardashti's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
986
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 328i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I think what he meant was that the front end is low, sleek yet the rear end is quite high and from the mid-section onwards the car is much more muscular and bigger in size. Also, there is a big difference between front/rear overhang.

I actually think the 5 series is much like the old E39 which is perfect and the only thing I would change is the hood detailing that BMW is adding down the middle of the hood. It just looks fussy to me. Apart from that, perfect car.
I agree with you on the hood, and I'd also like to see the BMW emblem moved back to the hood and the hood extended to the grill. BMW seems to be doing this with every car now (E89, F01, F07, F10...)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,236
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Does this mean a photoshoot for the UK spec 5 series will be released soon? I'd like to see it in Space Grey.
No. BMW UK will undertake their own photoshoot which I would guess occur after the New Year. The next photoshoot I am involved with will be the Concept Active Hybrid 5 which will debut at Geneva alongside the production 5er.

The cars are Final production prototypes before the car is signed off for production. These cars are placed in the hands of BMW employees and subjected to every day use and every aspect is logged and submitted to the project team.

Having driven the car from outside of Munich to the UK and now currently in the Scottish highlands the car has coped remarkabley well considering the UK weather and the distance. Cossetting and great to drive The 530d is also exceptionally frugal and is all the car you need. It delivers on all levels you would expect but it has some unexpected surprises to add to the overall experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #15
Mii
First Lieutenant
Mii's Avatar
42
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Exterior Style Tweaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
... The cars are Final production prototypes before the car is signed off for production. These cars are placed in the hands of BMW employees and subjected to every day use and every aspect is logged and submitted to the project team. ...
I suppose it would be a bit late to submit style change at this stage of development? I hope BMW would consider minor tweaks on the bonnet line above headlights. It looks more aggressive and refined from all viewing perspectives (concave down) instead of wavelike curve (concave up). Additionally, the sharp crease next to kidney grill on the nose is not harmonic, it flows better when the crease is closer to the inner side of headlight housing. These should be easy tweaks for BMW's module platform strategy. Hopefully these would be part of changes in LCI if it's late for this production run.

Here are a few examples: (photochop on top, original on bottom for comparison)
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Mii; 01-24-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #16
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
kinan_sleiman2006's Avatar
Syria
18
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: BMW X3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Syria-Tartous-Banias-po box299

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs down

I DON"T LIKE IT....LOOKS LIKE THE SAME AS 3SERIES E90 SPARKLING GRAPHITE
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
skimo
Lieutenant
25
Rep
531
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin Texas !!

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to skimo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinan_sleiman2006 View Post
I DON"T LIKE IT....LOOKS LIKE THE SAME AS 3SERIES E90 SPARKLING GRAPHITE
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
skimo
Lieutenant
25
Rep
531
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Austin Texas !!

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to skimo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mii View Post
I suppose it would be a bit late to submit style change at this stage of development? I hope BMW would consider minor tweaks on the bonnet line above headlights. It looks more aggressive and refined from all viewing perspectives (concave down) instead of wavelike curve (concave up). Additionally, the sharp crease next to kidney grill on the nose is not harmonic, it flows better when the crease is closer to the inner side of headlight housing. These should be easy tweaks for BMW's module platform strategy. Hopefully these would be part of changes in LCI if it's late for this production run.

Here are a few examples: (photochop on top, original on bottom for comparison)
Help! I have been staring at these photos for 10 minutes, cant tell the difference
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
aleksa3811
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: bmw e39
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: serbia

iTrader: (0)

I think that shape of the hood is for pedestrian safety. Same thing is on the new models of Peugeot, Renault, Opel and others...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
TurboT
Private First Class
1
Rep
125
Posts

 
Drives: X4 30d
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
No. BMW UK will undertake their own photoshoot which I would guess occur after the New Year. The next photoshoot I am involved with will be the Concept Active Hybrid 5 which will debut at Geneva alongside the production 5er.
When we can expect more photos and videos from F10 ? Detroit Motos Show on Jan 2010 ?

Recently no new updates (videos or photos) appearing on BMW web sites.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
yashBMW
Superior Genral
England
2
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 750Li
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

thats not QUITE a reply, you know, but which one should I get, really !
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST