2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW carbon fiber plant coming to North America

03-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW carbon fiber plant coming to North America

BMW to Build Carbon Fiber Plant in North American

Per bimmerfile:

According to a local Washington State TV station BMW and partner SGL are looking at several locations in North America to build a plant specifically for producing carbon fiber material likely for the upcoming iSetta range of cars. According to sources BMW is looking at a location near Moses Lake Washington (US) and an unnamed Canadian city. The project is so secret that those inside the Washington county where Moses Lake resides are only calling it “Project Chinook”.

With labor and material cheaper in North America than Europe, BMW is looking to make a strategic decision to shift some production of components outside of Europe and closer to what is currently BMW’s largest market and closer to what could eventually eclipse it, China.

BMW and SGL are expected to make a decision and a formal announcement in the coming weeks.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does that make any sense with the plant in Spartanburg...? Guess it depends on where they would be building the isetta.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

It doesn't really make sense to build the isetta in North America, because I'm going to guess it will be one of the smaller markets (by continent). Europeans currently demand compact cars much more than Americans.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
It doesn't really make sense to build the isetta in North America, because I'm going to guess it will be one of the smaller markets (by continent). Europeans currently demand compact cars much more than Americans.
Labor is a lot more expensive in Europe, I bet it's still cheaper to produce the parts here and ship them over.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Hopefully if they start production of carbon fiber parts here in the U.S. the prices will come down on the Performance accesseries!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

OK BMW, find faster that location and go to work!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

oh wow...great...

that`s because all those old farts in Germany/Europe prefer to keep things stock an like wood,leather and luxury metals over those fancy and "childish" carbon fiber mods ...

mods are generally more accepted and famous in NA than in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Plastic-carbon fiber panels are not difficult to make and will likely be used to decrease weight on most, not only BMW cars. Once it happens, the cost of carbon fiber parts will go down. It is likely that the plant will be just the first of several more to come.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

If the location is indeed is indeed in WA state, I am doing a factory tour!

It's not that surprising, WA is getting a lot of experience in CF of late. Thanks to the Boeing Dreamliner being built here.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
AJ@ECSMotorsports
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

^^ A very close friend of mine whom I graduated with interned there and was offered a job.. last I talked to him on FB, he's working on the dreamliner project up there!

He's in the financial dept.. not sure exactly what he does, but I'm so proud of him!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
teleopti
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeem View Post
oh wow...great...

that`s because all those old farts in Germany/Europe prefer to keep things stock an like wood,leather and luxury metals over those fancy and "childish" carbon fiber mods ...

mods are generally more accepted and famous in NA than in Germany.
exactly. the American dream values modded high end cars. It's what we do lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Reznick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ,01 330,M240?

My brother is an engineer currently working on a very large extruder to produce an impregnated carbon fiber weave ,here in the states. He can't say who he's working for but he is working on at the moment.Whether or not this would be part of BMW's remains to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
CarbonFiberCreations
Rep
Drives: 3-series

maybe he's working on military stuff if he can't say. sometimes security clearances forbid talking about stuff.

I would love to work at this bimmer cf plant... i've been laying up carbon fiber parts for years. keep me posted!!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
CarbonFiberCreations
Rep
Drives: 3-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
If the location is indeed is indeed in WA state, I am doing a factory tour!

It's not that surprising, WA is getting a lot of experience in CF of late. Thanks to the Boeing Dreamliner being built here.
My friend's shop builds the tail sections and wing sections for Boeing He's in southern Cal. Boeing is a great company to work for from what i hear, but you always, ALWAYS know the ax will come down within a couple years of being hired. They turn over labor like mad. I personally wouldn't mind because i can always return to my own carbon business. maybe i should move to cali or seatle.

Boeing or BMW... call me [

well if BMW is looking to keep costs down Seatle area would be good for the reason that Torray makes cf cloth in Washington i believe. BFG factory also makes carbon fiber... and Saertex has a warehouse in Florida i believe. all of which could potentially cut costs of trucking in carbon fiber... especially pre-preg that has to be shipped frozen.
Arizona would be a nice prime location also.... cheap labor skilled labor, city tax grants, cheap warehouse buildings... so many are vacant right now. Close proximity to airports in Mesa, Scottsdale, and Phoenix locations. Dry climate so heating buildings is not expensive.

Last edited by CarbonFiberCreations; 03-29-2010 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0