2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Got rid of the 2012 528i for 2013 535i M-Sport: Pics & Review
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Talking Got rid of the 2012 528i for 2013 535i M-Sport: Pics & Review

So I really loved the Looks (inside/out), Luxury features of my 5er but I HATED the steering and handling, esp coming from an E92. Most important - the car was not fun at all to drive aggressively. I was going nuts!!!
Here is the old thread: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745239

Then came Hurricane Sandy, my parents lost their car and I convinced them to take over my lease on the 528i.

I custom ordered a 535i RWD M-Sport in November and picked it up in late December. So I have had the car now about 4 months.
It was ordered with M-Sport pack, Luxury Seating pack, Nav, Rear Cam, PDC, heated seats, Rear shades.

One of the reasons I stuck with the 5 series is because of the passive MSport suspension being FINALLY offered in the US.
Anyone wanting a true feeling BMW needs to get this suspension.

My 2012 528i Msport was RWD and had the Adaptive Suspension - I drove it in SPORT and SPORT+ modes 100% of the time, but the steering feel sucked and it didnt give me confidence in high speed turns, lane changes, etc.
My most repeated phrase during driving it " I can't believe this is a BMW."

Moving on to the 2013 535i:
1) There are no Modes for the suspension. It rides stiffer than the 528i did in SPORT mode for sure, but much better than my E92.
2) The steering feel is 10000x better - it feels much more natural in either low or high speed driving. Its not as tight or precise as the E92 though, but for a luxury sport sedan its PERFECT.
3) Engine - N55 is great, sounds so nice when you step on the gas. The 528i's engine noise is horrible.
3) My most repeated phrase now "I can't believe this and the 528i are the same car." The handling, steering feel and Fun to Drive factor is that huge of a difference between the 2 cars.

Thank you BMW.

Here are the pics:

Dealer Prep
Attached Images
        
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport

Last edited by R N M; 04-06-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
mdrobc13's Avatar
United_States
73
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: Made in Bavaria
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Congrats...enjoy your new ride.
__________________
'15 F80 M3 sedan (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #1
'10 E70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'14 Cayman S (Agate Gray) - Mine #3
'13 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide Custom - ourz
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
K-A
Nice
K-A's Avatar
8
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

Awesome! I totally agree about the 2013 M Sport with the fixed passive suspension making this car totally complete. Never was crazy about the active F10 suspension in comparison.

Even in looks. The easiest way to tell a 2013 M Sport to a 2011/2012 is RIDE HEIGHT. The early ones with Active suspensions have huge fender gaps. The 2013's look almost slammed in comparison.

I'm in pure love with the N55. Best engine I've experienced when taken in an all-around approach. So perfect on so many levels, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Thanks guys!

I have ZERO complaints with this car.....truly night and day difference compared to the 2012.

Just need to get rid of those ugly reflectors.
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
JermieX6
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2009 X6 50i, 2011 550xi
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

congrats. those pics must be taken at sheepshead bay's oriental blvd :P
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
Alen E90
Major General
Alen E90's Avatar
United_States
264
Rep
9,335
Posts

Drives: E90 328i TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SO. CAL-818 (SFV)

iTrader: (6)

congrats on the new 5er!
__________________

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
OzDriver
Private First Class
OzDriver's Avatar
Australia
2
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: '13 535i & '08 530i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Congrats The F10 535i is a great car to drive in any form
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
sholaesq
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Nice. Just curious, why did you go back to Alpine white?
__________________
2011 335 M-Sport-Nav-Heated Seats-Harmon Kardon.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Thanks everyone!
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermieX6 View Post
congrats. those pics must be taken at sheepshead bay's oriental blvd :P
Yep on the bay in manh beach.
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholaesq View Post
Nice. Just curious, why did you go back to Alpine white?
The 528i was not a custom order, and Black was def not my first choice - The M-Sport doesnt look good in Black to me bec there is no contrast with the black rear diffuser and window surround.

For the 535i, I was contemplating on Space Gray, Titanium Silver or AW.
AW just looks so awesome with the Msport it was too hard to pass up.
The only problem is lots of people have it.
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
31
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando, FL USA

iTrader: (0)

I too have a 2013 BMW 535i M-sport with the passive M-Sport suspension. I agree it is a world of difference between it and the Active suspension. We also have a 2013 535i Non M-sport but with the active shocks. The two cars feel totally different. The M-sport with the passive M-Sport suspension feels like a bargain M5 that is very powerful for everyday but gets great gas mileage and handles fantastic with very good steering. Mine is also Alpine White and this has been my favorite 5-series to date. I've also had a 1995 E34 525i, a 2001 E39 530i, a 2005 E60 530i Sport, and now the 2013 F10 535i M-sport. LOVE IT!!!
__________________
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
JamRWS6
Private First Class
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Awesome! I totally agree about the 2013 M Sport with the fixed passive suspension making this car totally complete. Never was crazy about the active F10 suspension in comparison.

Even in looks. The easiest way to tell a 2013 M Sport to a 2011/2012 is RIDE HEIGHT. The early ones with Active suspensions have huge fender gaps. The 2013's look almost slammed in comparison.

I'm in pure love with the N55. Best engine I've experienced when taken in an all-around approach. So perfect on so many levels, IMO.
I've had my 2012 M Sport (w/ dynamic dampers) sitting next to my sister's 2013 M Sport (w/ base suspension) and my dad and I could tell absolutely no difference in ride height or fender gap. Does anyone have a link to specs that would indicate otherwise? This seems to be an urban myth permeating these forums. Having driven both the dynamic dampers are a must IMO. DDC in sport mode is every bit as 'Sporty' as the base suspension except you have the option to turn it to a Comfort setting and reduce all of the harshness if needed.

Great looking car in AW!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
K-A
Nice
K-A's Avatar
8
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Uranus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
I've had my 2012 M Sport (w/ dynamic dampers) sitting next to my sister's 2013 M Sport (w/ base suspension) and my dad and I could tell absolutely no difference in ride height or fender gap. Does anyone have a link to specs that would indicate otherwise? This seems to be an urban myth permeating these forums. Having driven both the dynamic dampers are a must IMO. DDC in sport mode is every bit as 'Sporty' as the base suspension except you have the option to turn it to a Comfort setting and reduce all of the harshness if needed.

Great looking car in AW!
Maybe it's due to your dampers? A guy posted somewhere a comparison pic of 12 and 13 cars and the 13 was definitely lower. It's prevalent enough to me where I can usually tell a 12 and 13 apart even on the roads based on how high the car sits. However, if a certain option controlled lowered the pre-13's then maybe I'm seeing those as well when I think I'm seeing 13's.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
I've had my 2012 M Sport (w/ dynamic dampers) sitting next to my sister's 2013 M Sport (w/ base suspension) and my dad and I could tell absolutely no difference in ride height or fender gap. Does anyone have a link to specs that would indicate otherwise? This seems to be an urban myth permeating these forums. Having driven both the dynamic dampers are a must IMO. DDC in sport mode is every bit as 'Sporty' as the base suspension except you have the option to turn it to a Comfort setting and reduce all of the harshness if needed.

Great looking car in AW!
Thanks!

This only applies to 2013 Msport RWD models without DDC. Does she have xdrive?

The car is def lower as the springs themselves are lower as per BMW, so its definitely not a myth. Also the steering feel never really becomes loose or firm based on the speed like it does with DDC cars. Its more linear and direct like my E92 was, not speed sensitive.

Also if you drive both cars you will feel the difference right away in steering feel and ride harshness, even if ur 2012 is in Sport+ mode, the 2013 will be firmer.
The difference is very significant.

Last edited by R N M; 04-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
JamRWS6
Private First Class
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Thanks!

This only applies to 2013 Msport RWD models without DDC. Does she have xdrive?

The car is def lower as the springs themselves are lower as per BMW, so its definitely not a myth. Also the steering feel never really becomes loose or firm based on the speed like it does with DDC cars. Its more linear and direct like my E92 was, not speed sensitive.

Also if you drive both cars you will feel the difference right away in steering feel and ride harshness, even if ur 2012 is in Sport+ mode, the 2013 will be firmer.
The difference is very significant.

Neither cars have Xdrive. I agree that the steering feel is different although I felt my car in Sport+ was firmer than the passive suspension. Comfort and Comfort + are definitely softer.

Curious if you have any interior pictures. Would love to see some.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
588
Posts

Drives: '14 550i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Warner Robins, GA

iTrader: (2)

RNM, I am planning on getting my 2014 550i M-Sport w/o DDC as opposed to my 2011 550i M-Sport w/DDC. How is the steering different if it's the same electronic setup? It should still be speed sensitive. I'm hoping the passive suspension will come lower than my 2011 so I won't have to lower it. I'm also hoping that BMW has fixed the steering feel with the 2014 models. Does your car feel like it leans too much without the Adaptive Drive (Anti-roll stabilization)?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
Neither cars have Xdrive. I agree that the steering feel is different although I felt my car in Sport+ was firmer than the passive suspension. Comfort and Comfort + are definitely softer.

Curious if you have any interior pictures. Would love to see some.
I didnt take any interior pics other than the ones I posted, what would u like to see - I will take them.

Not sure why u don't notice the difference as I have though. It really is NIGHT and Day between the 2 cars, and i last drove my old 528i a few weeks ago so its fresh in my memory. Have u driven the your sister's car aggressively on the highway or backroads?
As I said before, my old 528i DDC setup was driven in either Sport or Sport + all the time, its the first button i would press. To me it was still unstable at high speed lane changes or cornering. The 535i on the other hand begs to be pushed and the limits are much higher.
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #19
R N M
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: F10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 535i Msport  [0.00]
2012 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinfast View Post
RNM, I am planning on getting my 2014 550i M-Sport w/o DDC as opposed to my 2011 550i M-Sport w/DDC. How is the steering different if it's the same electronic setup? It should still be speed sensitive. I'm hoping the passive suspension will come lower than my 2011 so I won't have to lower it. I'm also hoping that BMW has fixed the steering feel with the 2014 models. Does your car feel like it leans too much without the Adaptive Drive (Anti-roll stabilization)?
Correct its the same electric setup BUT it is always firm and you will need to use ur hands to steer even at low speeds. The 528i felt like a Lexus LS at low speeds - I can practically steer it with 1 finger and it would tighten as u increase speed on the highway, which never felt natural or precise even then.

The steering is comparable to my E92 honestly, its THAT GOOD!
Its not as firm or direct but it gives me 95% of the feeling i had with the e92.

Basically I can be going 85-95mph on the highway and cut between lanes/cars and have full control/confidence of the car and where its going.
I can take the same highway on ramp at 10-20mph faster than with the 528i.

From my understanding, the Passive M-Sport suspension comes with stiffer/lower spings, stiffer shocks, thicker Anti-roll bars, and to me obviously reprogrammed steering setup.
__________________
Current
2013 F10 535i MSport - Alpine White/Black
2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEBobwprGtA)
Previous: 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #20
JamRWS6
Private First Class
2
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M

I didnt take any interior pics other than the ones I posted, what would u like to see - I will take them.

Not sure why u don't notice the difference as I have though. It really is NIGHT and Day between the 2 cars, and i last drove my old 528i a few weeks ago so its fresh in my memory. Have u driven the your sister's car aggressively on the highway or backroads?
As I said before, my old 528i DDC setup was driven in either Sport or Sport + all the time, its the first button i would press. To me it was still unstable at high speed lane changes or cornering. The 535i on the other hand begs to be pushed and the limits are much higher.
Sounds like how my 535 feels. It is extremely planted at highway speeds during lane changes. Did your 528 also have the 19" staggered setup the 535i does? If not that can also play a big role in how the car feels.

Interior wise I was just looking for some shots showing your color combo. I have black with aluminum hexagon in mine and my sisters is black/oyster with wood.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Yolo360
New Member
England
2
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: F10 Alpline. M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Looks fantastic! But you didnt get the Black Panel on the dash I feel its such a must!
__________________
Garage:
Audi R8 V10 Spyder. MY11. Black on black
BMW F10. M-Sport. MY13. Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
hyperboost
Captain
hyperboost's Avatar
16
Rep
742
Posts

Drives: M3, 535XI Msport
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
I too have a 2013 BMW 535i M-sport with the passive M-Sport suspension. I agree it is a world of difference between it and the Active suspension. We also have a 2013 535i Non M-sport but with the active shocks. The two cars feel totally different. The M-sport with the passive M-Sport suspension feels like a bargain M5 that is very powerful for everyday but gets great gas mileage and handles fantastic with very good steering. Mine is also Alpine White and this has been my favorite 5-series to date. I've also had a 1995 E34 525i, a 2001 E39 530i, a 2005 E60 530i Sport, and now the 2013 F10 535i M-sport. LOVE IT!!!
is passive M-sport suspension standard with M-sport package, or simply it's just M sport suspension? i have the 535xi Msport. my car doesnt have the Dynamic Damper Control or Adaptive Drive.

I just reazlized that 528i with Msport don't have M suspension.

OP. the 528i rwd is much lighter than the 535i rwd, like 270lbs lighter. with the increased weight, you don't feel any downside on how the car drives?
__________________
F80 YMB M3 DD|12 GTR Stock|F10 535XI Msport AW - Sold|E92 M3 MR exported to China |E93 M3 AW sold |E46 M3 IR ESS SC'ed with loads of mods|E46 M3 TiAg Track weapon Moton CS suspention - sold|Bentley Continental Mulliner package - sold|87 944 NA winter beater - gone|E39 540iA - sold|10 Cayman|04 G35 Turbo'ed 380rwhp - sold|03 350Z SC'ed - Sold|11 Mustang GT SC'ed 513rwhp - sold|AW SC'ed E92 M3 - gone
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.




5post
5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST