2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My Review F10 550i

08-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 Porsche 991 S

My Review F10 550i

I picked up my 11 F10 BMW 550i two weeks ago and have put 1700 miles on it so far. It replaced a 07 550i sports that I have driven from Boston to DC and back around fifty times. As a background, I have been a BMW CCA member for 18 years now and have owned an E36 M3 and E46 M3 that I tracked several times for 8 years. I buy BMWs because of their capabilities and sport-oriented driving experience.

Due to circumstances, I had to get rid of the 07 E60 550i sports and picked up the 11 F10 550i from the dealer lot where it had all of the options that were important to me except for the comfort access, which I still miss terribly. It was a Dark Graphite (Sophisto Gray), with DHP, Premium, paddles, Cold, Sports, smartphone, and HUD. I did not test drive this car due to high expectations from BMW and voila, ¼ of a mile away from the dealership after I picked up the car, I said, “WTF! What is with the steering of this car?” It felt like a large car, luxurious and was floating a lot, which reminded me of my wife’s E350. For the next 300 miles, I drove it around town and explored its strengths and weaknesses compared to the E60 550i. It was better than the E60 for the most part except for the over-boosted feeling of the steering and disconnected from the road feeling which totally ruins the driving experience. This car is too detached from the driver. The sport setting helps a lot, but still does not complete the connection between man and machine. I was looking forward to my trip to DC in a few days as it would be a 1200 mile trip in total. It would be a good time to judge the car compared to the E60 550i with Sports, which never felt like a big car. I gave myself some time to get used to the steering of the F10 and planned to judge it when I got back from the trip.

I left for DC and reset the trip computer so that I can monitor the gas mileage of the car. The E60 550i got 27 mpg highway during the summer and 25 mpg highway during the winter. I started with the normal (DHP) setting and started the drive. The F10 got better gas mileage than the E60 at 75 mph driving but after two hours of floating, I switched to sports setting and the car came alive. I said, “There you go, now let us motor”, which was perfect as I was at the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, which is a winding road with changes of elevation where you can cruise at 80 mph or more for about 50 miles and also my favorite part of the trip. The car still felt big even in sports setting, but more responsive and a little more eager to go. I can feel the bumps more with sports setting, but it’s still not perfect. The F10 can and will turn if asked to, depending of what type of maneuver. I have encountered several cars that tried to play (e.g. S550, Mustang, CLS550, Maserati Quattroporte, F10 535i, etc) where I was able to judge how the car handled during spirited driving. It was fun running with the Maserati at speed. In sports setting, the F10 burned gas much more than the normal setting , which was disappointing. The steering wheel was numb and over-boosted, which bothered me the whole time, except when I was driving in a straight line or going over 80 mph. Using the sport setting at high speed, the weird feeling of the steering wheel went away especially with winding roads and it felt like a BMW. The Mustang was a little surprised with what this boat can do on twisties as I ran with him at on ramps and exit ramps especially when we did a sprint where I blew by him with a lot more to give. The paddle worked well with the 8 speed transmission when downshifting for quick passes and/or braking.

I noticed that with a 95°F ambient temperature, the E60 had better air conditioning than the F10. A month ago, the E60 handled the 110°F ambient temperature really well in DC. I had to press max at one point to really cool the interior of the F10 while sitting in traffic. Collectively, I probably sat in the car on idle for about 3 hours due to traffic, conference call, waiting, etc. Oil temperature approached almost at 12:00 on idle but would stabilize to 10:30 if the car was moving. The F10 also is noticeably noisier than the E60, due to wind noise and 19 inch tires. Hopefully, BMW can make the car more connected and quieter as it matures through the years.

The HUD was phenomenal especially with navigation.

I have tried to make the F10 to do certain maneuvers and compare it to the E60 and it seemed like it can match if not exceed the ability of the E60 550i with sports, yet it adds the numb feeling of disconnection to the car., which was uninspiring I have nothing good or bad to say about the Goodyear excellence so far, but it seems like they are okay. I have made them squeal for 5 seconds on the limit on a nice off-ramp but it was well controlled and did not even activate DSC. As they say, “a squealing tire is a happy tire”.

Below is my summary of PROS and CONS of the F10 550i with DHP versus the E60 550i with sports

PROS
- Better engine
- Better transmission, works well with the paddles
- Better brakes
- Better seats
- Better idrive, love the bookmarks and it is fast and more functional
- Better navigation, faster but Japanese design is still better and more user-friendly
- Better Bluetooth, good contact info list
- better Logic 7 than the E60, I thought the E60 Logic 7 was great but this is MUCH better

CONS
- disconnected over-boosted steering feel
- have to be on sport setting to enjoy, which burns more gas
- wobbly during abrupt steering input even on Sport setting
- weak air conditioning
- high center of gravity, needs to be lowered
- chassis is too isolated from road bumps but it is noisy due to wind and road noise
- wind noise, road noise
- big car feeling
- no cooler on center storage
- no flashlight
- no First aid kit
- no left net pocket in trunk
- rear center passenger seat is unusable for long trips (more than 30 minutes) because the backrest is too hard and is just not comfortable. Car seat will work for that spot, though.
My verdict, there is a certain style of driving and steering input that would minimize the disconnected effect of the electric steering to the driver. The car requires precision driving input combined with gas to not make it too wobbly as the F10 loves to run and turn if asked to. I believe that the sport setting is the only acceptable setting and it still doesn’t come close to the E60. Bottom line, I can live with the F10 no question but I can’t wait to return it in three years when the lease ends.

Hopefully they can just update the software to improve the feel of the steering. Luckily my 2010 Mini Cooper S with 6 speed is always ready willing and able to give me a bone jarring go-kart ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Nice write up.
I believe you can turn off the drivetrain portion of the Sport mode. Thus effectively adjusting only the chassis and steering, but not the tranny. This should help you with your mpg issue.
Settings-->Sport Mode--> follow instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Fine objective review. Thank you sharing your thoughts and impressions.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 JB M3, 2012 GTR

Sad to say that I 100% agree with you. I spent significant time test driving the 550i sport and was very disappointed. It felt overweight and "wobbly" with Lexus like body roll (even with suspension set to sport) as you described. I think this was in part due to the disconnected/numb steering. Give me an e60 550i sport package and keep all the electronic gizmos BMW. It's a beautiful car with plenty of power, but not the driver's car that you come to expect from BMW. This car doesn't provide much driving pleasure at all. Welcome aboard Lexus owners. Hopefully they offer the M sports package suspension here in the U.S. or make some software changes. Maybe we'll have to buy the M5 or any M car for that matter if they keep moving this direction.

See the following thread for similar comments:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402309

Last edited by erio; 08-02-2010 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
i agree that F10 is more a luxury sedan than a sports sedan
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
LSs1Power
Boost junkie
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Would purchasing the M-Sport Package on the 550i fix this mess? It will have a 10mm lower & stiffer suspension. Also there is no Active Steering or Dynamic Drive with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSs1Power View Post
Would purchasing the M-Sport Package on the 550i fix this mess? It will have a 10mm lower & stiffer suspension. Also there is no Active Steering or Dynamic Drive with it.
I hope. It sucks that one would have pay for the exchange of the luxo comfort suspension for a "BMW like" suspension. Someone in another thread said their CA told them the suspension portion of the M package would only be available in Europe. I hope that's incorrect. We'll have to wait and see. Also, I think the problem with the steering is the new electric system. They did away with the hydraulic steering.

Last edited by erio; 08-03-2010 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice story. I came from a E90 M3, how's that.

Last week I drove>Brussels>Luxemburg>Bern>Siena(I)>Florence>Mi lano>Freiburg(D) Cologne> home(NL) making it a citydriving/Autobahn experience.

The steering I eventually got used to, I have the M sports suspension + the 8 sportauto +19"alloys and it's fine, but the damping should have been a tad harder + the steering a tad more direct , but at the end it's a great bomber(doing +150mph in the rollercoaster bends near Mannheim), no worries it's still a BMW. Fuel consumption ok( 10.2 litres /100kms, 3500kms(2180 miles in 10 days)drive total including bombing the Autobahn(but on avg keeping it between 80-100mph, too much traffic), just incredible...

One thing , old Italian innercities like Florence are not suited for huge cars like the F10...but we survived LOL.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
tadtaggert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i F10

I almost have as many miles as you do on my new 550i, some comments on your pro's and con's:

PROS
- Better engine

Agree

- Better transmission, works well with the paddles

Agree with the exception of decelerating, somewhere from 28-22mph (depending on DHP settings) you get transmission braking, you get used to it and it's only really a problem is stop and go city driving.

- Better brakes

Adequate.

- Better seats

Love them, not racing seats but a perfect blend of sport and luxury.

- Better idrive, love the bookmarks and it is fast and more functional

Totally agree.

- Better navigation, faster but Japanese design is still better and more user-friendly

Extremely accurate and much faster. Not a fan of the japanese systems, and have always thought BMW navs were near the top.

- Better Bluetooth, good contact info list

Still the annoying delay on answering a call, but nice.

- better Logic 7 than the E60, I thought the E60 Logic 7 was great but this is MUCH better

Very good, perhaps not audiophile, but plenty for me.

CONS
- disconnected over-boosted steering feel

I don't dislike the steering. No, you don't feel bumps in the road through the steering like you used to, but I am already used to it, and I didn't buy a 550i for the track.

- have to be on sport setting to enjoy, which burns more gas

As someone else said, change your DHP.

- wobbly during abrupt steering input even on Sport setting

Heavier, longer wheelbase, it's different. You won't throw this car around like a M3, but again, already use to it.

- weak air conditioning

Agree.

- high center of gravity, needs to be lowered

Mixed on this one, I think it's just different from E60's and I bought mine as much for the luxury as the sportiness.

- chassis is too isolated from road bumps but it is noisy due to wind and road noise

Disagree.

- wind noise, road noise

Don't really agree.

- big car feeling

Yes, but don't mind it.

- no cooler on center storage
- no flashlight
- no First aid kit
- no left net pocket in trunk

All of these, lmao but true.

- rear center passenger seat is unusable for long trips (more than 30 minutes) because the backrest is too hard and is just not comfortable.

Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

No Left Net Pocket?

I know this is probably insignificant compared the the numb steering, etc.....but no left "Net" in the trunk. Clearly this is shown on the 5 sales brochure right?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Gaucho
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

New to forum

New to this forum and have enjoyed the many posts. Do not own a BMW but hopefully will soon. The review above is complete and to the point.

I know that this may sound like heresy to the BMW purists but in the past I driven the E60 and had found it less than ideal compared to the MB and Audi. So much so that I had really given up on even looking at them again. Drove the new MB E350/500 coupe and sedan as well as the Audi 3.0T. MB was all around better. Went in to BMW to look at the X5d and love it. So I gave the new 535 and 550 a drive (many drives!). Had a chance to compare them in one of the driving events at the same time with Audi and MB. Hands down the BMW became my choice. I find it hard to believe that Car and Driver had the Audi as #1 and the BMW #3! I will be waiting to try out the new Audi if it comes out soon. The MB is a great car but I think that BMW has done the right changes to the 5 series to blend performance, elegance, ride quality and overall looks.

Most of the comments in the top of this section are fair. Some are really intended for the strict BMW purist. Most of us just want a great car to drive and this car is is. I just do not think that the average driver can appreciate the subdelties of the suspension and steering in the average day to day commute in Southern Cal. The car still drives much better and is more fun to drive than MB, Audi, and Lexus - by a long shot. The responsiveness and acceleration are great. I think that BMW has finally made the right choice and by doing so has expanded their marketability to a lot larger demographic group. The 535i in my opinion has plenty of power for just about any need. I see no point in getting a 550i just for this need. If power is what you want then wait for the M5, no sense messing around with the 550i.

Looking for ED as soon as the 535i diesel is available - looks, power, and efficiency. What esle can you ask for?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
cidair
cidair
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive

Read in the tech spec that the 550i xdrive does NOT have the electric steering! Hopefully this will give a better steering feeling!?
      08-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
New to this forum and have enjoyed the many posts. Do not own a BMW but hopefully will soon. The review above is complete and to the point.

I know that this may sound like heresy to the BMW purists but in the past I driven the E60 and had found it less than ideal compared to the MB and Audi. So much so that I had really given up on even looking at them again. Drove the new MB E350/500 coupe and sedan as well as the Audi 3.0T. MB was all around better. Went in to BMW to look at the X5d and love it. So I gave the new 535 and 550 a drive (many drives!). Had a chance to compare them in one of the driving events at the same time with Audi and MB. Hands down the BMW became my choice. I find it hard to believe that Car and Driver had the Audi as #1 and the BMW #3! I will be waiting to try out the new Audi if it comes out soon. The MB is a great car but I think that BMW has done the right changes to the 5 series to blend performance, elegance, ride quality and overall looks.

Most of the comments in the top of this section are fair. Some are really intended for the strict BMW purist. Most of us just want a great car to drive and this car is is. I just do not think that the average driver can appreciate the subdelties of the suspension and steering in the average day to day commute in Southern Cal. The car still drives much better and is more fun to drive than MB, Audi, and Lexus - by a long shot. The responsiveness and acceleration are great. I think that BMW has finally made the right choice and by doing so has expanded their marketability to a lot larger demographic group. The 535i in my opinion has plenty of power for just about any need. I see no point in getting a 550i just for this need. If power is what you want then wait for the M5, no sense messing around with the 550i.

Looking for ED as soon as the 535i diesel is available - looks, power, and efficiency. What esle can you ask for?
It has plenty of power. I feel the problem is the handling and steering that BMW is famous for producing. I think your point about many of us being purists is true. However, I don't expect M car handling or performance out of this car. I just feel it's getting too "soft." The 5 has in my mind always been a nice bridge between the 3 and 7 so that one could have a responsive sports sedan that feels agile. Maybe the F30 will be taking it's place in that respect. After all, all the generations seem to be growing in weight/dimension.

Last edited by erio; 08-03-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

This is why I now have an M3 on order to replace my 2008 550. Not that the F10 is a bad car, but BMW has taken the 5 series more towards the luxury market than the sport sedan market...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post

Depending on youtr lifestyle and purpose of the car, the 535 in my opinion is perfect for regular city/highway driving. But if you want to cruise for hours at 80 mph at ease and need to make a quick sprint to 100 mph to pass or whatever in an effortless manner, the 550i is the way to go. Range of power is much better and addictive. The M5 is just not a practical car especially parking it in different unknown places.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cidair View Post
Read in the tech spec that the 550i xdrive does NOT have the electric steering! Hopefully this will give a better steering feeling!?
It will probably have a better steering feel but it will still wobble. The xDrive might even have a higher center of gravity and narrower tires, thus more wobble. BMW now stands for Bring More Wobble - it used to be Bring More Wealth or Bring More Women
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topologe View Post
It will probably have a better steering feel but it will still wobble. The xDrive might even have a higher center of gravity and narrower tires, thus more wobble. BMW now stands for Bring More Wobble - it used to be Bring More Wealth or Bring More Women
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by erio View Post
Someone in another thread said their CA told them the suspension portion of the M package would only be available in Europe. I hope that's incorrect. We'll have to wait and see.
That's also what I was told, and the information from the BMW web site concurs - the sport package is wheels, shadowline trim, steering wheel, multi-contour seats. No suspension or body trim.

So if you take off the cost of the seats, that's $900 for the wheel upgrade and shadowline. If you like the wheels, that's probably a good deal.

Thanks topologe & tadtaggert for your reviews and comments!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Nice story. I came from a E90 M3, how's that.

Last week I drove>Brussels>Luxemburg>Bern>Siena(I)>Florence>Mi lano>Freiburg(D) Cologne> home(NL) making it a citydriving/Autobahn experience.

The steering I eventually got used to, I have the M sports suspension + the 8 sport auto +19"alloys and it's fine, but the damping should have been a tad harder + the steering a tad more direct , but at the end it's a great bomber(doing +150mph in the roller coaster bends near Mannheim), no worries it's still a BMW. Fuel consumption ok( 10.2 litres /100kms, 3500kms(2180 miles in 10 days)drive total including bombing the Autobahn(but on avg keeping it between 80-100mph, too much traffic), just incredible...

One thing , old Italian innercities like Florence are not suited for huge cars like the F10...but we survived LOL.

Cheers
Robin
Please compare your M-Sport Suspension to the Adaptive Drive Suspension. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
That's also what I was told, and the information from the BMW web site concurs - the sport package is wheels, shadowline trim, steering wheel, multi-contour seats. No suspension or body trim.

So if you take off the cost of the seats, that's $900 for the wheel upgrade and shadowline. If you like the wheels, that's probably a good deal.

Hmm...this press release just posted makes me think they may offer it here after all.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415771
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
topologe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
Nice write up.
I believe you can turn off the drivetrain portion of the Sport mode. Thus effectively adjusting only the chassis and steering, but not the tranny. This should help you with your mpg issue.
Settings-->Sport Mode--> follow instructions.
I turned off the drivetrain portion of the Sport mode and it seems like it is more economical now. Now if only I can find a way to make it default to Sports when I start the car. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
erio
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

That's the sport package and not the "M sports package." M package is different and isn't on the web site, yet. We will get the M package but the question has been whether it will get the suspension or not. The latest info indicates that it might.

M Sport Package, Option 337

Shadow Grey Cloth/Alcantara (surcharge leather)
Interior trim Hexagon Aluminium
M Sports suspension
M Aerodynamic package
18" M light alloy wheels, double spoke 350M with mixed tires and runflat tires (optional 351M 19" see below)
BMW Individual anthracite roof lining
sport seats for driver and front passenger
M leather steering wheel
M footrest
BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line
Exhaust pipe tips in dark chrome

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415771

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415757

Last edited by erio; 08-04-2010 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0