2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Want fluid DIY tips - coolant, differential, transfer case, A/T

Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #1
Surly73
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 328i 6MTsp / '11 535xi 8AT

Want fluid DIY tips - coolant, differential, transfer case, A/T

Hi all:

I have 27k km (16,500 miles) on my 2011 535xi and I'm looking to do some "long term ownership" fluid changes. I know that the F10 is still in the "let's talk tint, wheels and stereos" stage but we should be getting to wrenching discussions soon I'm hoping.

I've wrenched on BMWs for years, but I'm looking for perhaps some specific tips from those who have done some of this already.

Note that I have a dealer extended warranty through the end of 2018. I don't want to cause any issues or get a hassle about warranty issues when I do this work. I also don't want to pay the criminal Canadian dealer prices on all parts and fluids (don't even get into labour) so I'm shopping around.

TRANSFER CASE:
It looks to me like the drain and fill plugs have rubber O-rings, not crush washers, so no parts need to be ordered. Should just be raise the car level, drain, fill till it runs out, and done - right? I plan to use genuine OEM fluid for this.

DIFFERENTIALS:
My E90 really annoyed me with it only having a FILL plug and no drain plug, meaning I had to use an extractor to get "most" of the original fluid out. Is the F10 the same way? Both front and rear? The diagrams at RealOEM aren't clear but I think, again, that they have real O-rings instead of crush washers. Am I correct? I intend to use Amsoil SVG or Redline 75W90 for this application but I'd like something that at a glance or smell isn't way different than the Castrol SAF-XO that comes in the car. Is SAF-XO stinky? Is it golden in colour?

COOLANT:
Best DIY to change coolant? Done it on lots of BMWs and I liked my E90s program to automatically bleed using the electric water pump. The issue is that I think that the E90s documented method to do it (hold throttle at WOT for 30 seconds with key on) does something else on the F10 - clear all transmission adaptations. Any comments on proper bleeding and draining the block on the N55 F10? I plan to use BMW OE coolant.

TRANSMISSION:
I've seen generic ZF videos on changing the fluid/pan, and I've done the work before on an E39 in the family (all of my previous cars have been MT). Who has done it on an F10, preferably a 535? Does the transmission actually need to be lowered on an F10? Best source for an OE pan/filter? What was used for fluid? I am only planning a drain/replace, not a flush, so I was thinking of using ZF Lifeguard 8, not specifically the BMW bottle - how much do I need for a pan drop? I'd love to use something like Amsoil ATL but the transmission is something I don't want to take any warranty gambles with. Best source for ZF LG8 or Shell M-L12108?
Appreciate 0