2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Nail in RunFlat
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Noodles23
Private
 
Drives: 530D GT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Nail in RunFlat

A scary trip to the tyre dealer this morning to remove a screw I noticed in the tyre.

Fortunately it was jammed in the tread and hadn't penetrated the tyre, although they did tell me that the tyres for the 20" wheels are not a stock item.
Noodles23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
bickers1972
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 530D GT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Phew - that must have come as relief!! Out of interest, did they quote you for the cost of a replacement tyre?
bickers1972 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
car_fan
Captain
 
car_fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F12 650cic / 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoFla

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles23 View Post
A scary trip to the tyre dealer this morning to remove a screw I noticed in the tyre.

Fortunately it was jammed in the tread and hadn't penetrated the tyre, although they did tell me that the tyres for the 20" wheels are not a stock item.
Here in the States at least at my dealer (Braman Miami) they have them readily available. I had my left front tire replaced due to a slow leak.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top(retired)
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty/Continental Extreme DW
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF Mirror caps
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW
car_fan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Noodles23
Private
 
Drives: 530D GT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Phew - that must have come as relief!! Out of interest, did they quote you for the cost of a replacement tyre?
Had a quick look on the web site - looks to be around 250
Noodles23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
bickers1972
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 530D GT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Manchester

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

I don't know if you've considered tyre insurance or not but I decided to take out a policy through the AA. The premiums were quite reasonable & given the cost of the tyres, I felt it was a prudent thing to do in order to provide some extra re-assurance.

Hope you are still enjoying the GT? Mine puts a smile on my face every time I take her for a spin!!
bickers1972 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
relic
Member
 
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leesburg VA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Strongly recommend the tire insurance - I had a full blow-out last week with a pothole at 30mph.
It broke through to the bead and car had to be flat-towed to dealer.
Insurance covered tire (20") $630 plus replaced wheel-bearing that was also damaged.
__________________
2013 650i Gran Coupe xdrive
Prior: 2010 550i GT xdrive | 2008 335i Convertible | 2007 335i Coupe | 2006 130i Hatch | 1998 540i Sedan
relic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
car_fan
Captain
 
car_fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F12 650cic / 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoFla

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Strongly recommend the tire insurance - I had a full blow-out last week with a pothole at 30mph.
It broke through to the bead and car had to be flat-towed to dealer.
Insurance covered tire (20") $630 plus replaced wheel-bearing that was also damaged.
It would seem that these tires would be able to handle pot holes. Do you have the GoodYear Excellence or the Pirelli P Zero's? Makes me want to go to conventional tires even sooner. I am running Nitto Invos 245/40/20 and 285/35/20 rear on my G37 coupe they have great traction wet and dry and complex tread design, plus they are quiet with a comfortable ride. Great compromise IMHO. I purchased the BMW tire/wheel warranty as well. I am glad it is not a third party policy like they used to offer.
__________________
2012 650cic Space Gray/Vermillon Red/Blk.Top(retired)
2011 MINI CooperS BRGII/Lounge Green/Sport/Prem/Connect/Black Xenon/Black Conical Spokes/ACS springs/ACS exhaust/Alta Shorty/Continental Extreme DW
2012 M3 AW/FR NDH2/2MK/ZPP/ZCP/ZCW/752/6NR/OEM CF splitters/OEM CF Mirror caps
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW
car_fan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
relic
Member
 
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leesburg VA

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
It would seem that these tires would be able to handle pot holes. Do you have the GoodYear Excellence or the Pirelli P Zero's? Makes me want to go to conventional tires even sooner. I am running Nitto Invos 245/40/20 and 285/35/20 rear on my G37 coupe they have great traction wet and dry and complex tread design, plus they are quiet with a comfortable ride. Great compromise IMHO. I purchased the BMW tire/wheel warranty as well. I am glad it is not a third party policy like they used to offer.
Doubt anything would have survived this pothole - it was a foot deep sinkhole on a bridge and took out both a (non-run flat) Honda and a Cadillac within the next 10 minutes. While the rim took the impact with just a nick on the edge, it did damage the wheel bearing so it was almighty thump.
I have Pirelli P Zeros although the dealer only had Bridgestones. I got a P Zero overnighted from Tire Rack.
__________________
2013 650i Gran Coupe xdrive
Prior: 2010 550i GT xdrive | 2008 335i Convertible | 2007 335i Coupe | 2006 130i Hatch | 1998 540i Sedan
relic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST