2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Hi-fi option ordered but not installed?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Pacecar
New Member
 
Drives: F11 520d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Question Hi-fi option ordered but not installed?

I got my F11 520d delivered last week. It was ordered with the Hifi system (ie. 12 speakers instead of the standard 6, but not the Hifi pro digi system with 16 speakers).

However, I seriously doubt that my car got that Hifi option actually installed: music (radio, ipod) sounds quite "flat", and not at all as good as when I tried it out in the test car that had the Hifi option; also, I just cannot locate more than 4-5 speakers (2 in each front door + maybe one on top of the dashboard, or is that a vent? -where is n6?)

So my question(s):

1) Is there an easy way in the car to check?
2) If indeed it was omitted, how do you recommend to proceed? Can I demand that it still be installed? Is this possible without cutting up the interior trim? Will it be the same quality as if it was installed in the factory?

I did not yet call my dealership to complain; I want to be sure first...

Thanks.
Pacecar is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
bfv
Private First Class
 
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sky

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
I got my F11 520d delivered last week. It was ordered with the Hifi system (ie. 12 speakers instead of the standard 6, but not the Hifi pro digi system with 16 speakers).

However, I seriously doubt that my car got that Hifi option actually installed: music (radio, ipod) sounds quite "flat", and not at all as good as when I tried it out in the test car that had the Hifi option; also, I just cannot locate more than 4-5 speakers (2 in each front door + maybe one on top of the dashboard, or is that a vent? -where is n6?)

So my question(s):

1) Is there an easy way in the car to check?
2) If indeed it was omitted, how do you recommend to proceed? Can I demand that it still be installed? Is this possible without cutting up the interior trim? Will it be the same quality as if it was installed in the factory?

I did not yet call my dealership to complain; I want to be sure first...

Thanks.
Two subwoofers should be installed under front seats. It seems they are difficult to see but you can "palpate" them. Don't break them
bfv is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Pacecar
New Member
 
Drives: F11 520d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
Two subwoofers should be installed under front seats. It seems they are difficult to see but you can "palpate" them. Don't break them
Thanks. Are these the ones I was missing in my count of the 6 speakers of the standard audio? Or if the subwoofers are present, it means I indeed have the Hifi upgrade installed?
Pacecar is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
bfv
Private First Class
 
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sky

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
Thanks. Are these the ones I was missing in my count of the 6 speakers of the standard audio? Or if the subwoofers are present, it means I indeed have the Hifi upgrade installed?
Speaker config. should be like this:

1) Center tweeter & mid-range in Dashboard. (2)
2) Tweeter & mid-range on each front door. (4)
3) Tweeter & mid-range over trunk panel. (4)
4) Subwoofer under each front seat. (2)

That makes it 12 speakers for hi-fi business option. Check with your dealer for accuracy. Are you sure you heard hi-fi business system during trial or hi-fi professional by mistake?
bfv is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Pacecar
New Member
 
Drives: F11 520d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfv View Post
3) Tweeter & mid-range over trunk panel. (4)
I have the touring (F11), so there is no fixed trunk panel (if I understand well what you mean with trunk panel). Where should these two then be located?

Shouldn't there be also an equalizer in the "sound settings" of the idrive?

Re: the test drive, the dealership guy told me it was the hifi business, not professional, but I only have his word for that of course...
Pacecar is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
bfv
Private First Class
 
Drives: Bajaj Auto Rickshaw
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sky

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
I have the touring (F11), so there is no fixed trunk panel (if I understand well what you mean with trunk panel). Where should these two then be located?

Shouldn't there be also an equalizer in the "sound settings" of the idrive?

Re: the test drive, the dealership guy told me it was the hifi business, not professional, but I only have his word for that of course...
Don't know about touring. Sorry
bfv is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Pacecar
New Member
 
Drives: F11 520d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Ok, I looked a bit further around in the car, and I found the loudspeakers that were "missing", so I indeed have the Hifi upgrade installed. I am still not convinced about the sound quality, so probably should have taken the professional hifi, that got rave reviews elsewhere on the forum.

So, if anyone is interested, the loudspeaker set-up on the F11 (Hifi upgrade) is the following:

- Tweeter & mid-range on each front door (4)
- Tweeter & mid-range (?) in the roof (4) [I see two units (left and right in the roof, over the trunk area), but I cannot see how many speakers are behind the cover; I assume there are two, as suggested by bfv]
- Center tweeter & mid-range on top of Dashboard (2) [same here: I can see the cover, and hear the sound coming from behind the cover, but cannot see whether there is one speaker or two, as suggested by bfv]
- Subwoofer under each front seat. (2)

So that makes 12 in total.

Last edited by Pacecar; 03-07-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Pacecar is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
535DMSport
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 535D M-Sport & E39 M5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Netherlands

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

So if you are not happy with the factory (optional) soundsystem, you can always upgrade to a better sound system - aftermarket.
535DMSport is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
Pacecar
New Member
 
Drives: F11 520d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535DMSport View Post
So if you are not happy with the factory (optional) soundsystem, you can always upgrade to a better sound system - aftermarket.
It is a company car, so I don't want to invest in it; moreover, I think that I am not allowed to make any changes to the car as it was ordered by the leasing company.
Pacecar is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
InlineFour
New Member
 
Drives: Cashmere Silver 535i Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
Ok, I looked a bit further around in the car, and I found the loudspeakers that were "missing", so I indeed have the Hifi upgrade installed. I am still not convinced about the sound quality, so probably should have taken the professional hifi, that got rave reviews elsewhere on the forum.

So, if anyone is interested, the loudspeaker set-up on the F11 (Hifi upgrade) is the following:

- Tweeter & mid-range on each front door (4)
- Tweeter & mid-range (?) in the roof (4) [I see two units (left and right in the roof, over the trunk area), but I cannot see how many speakers are behind the cover; I assume there are two, as suggested by bfv]
- Center tweeter & mid-range on top of Dashboard (2) [same here: I can see the cover, and hear the sound coming from behind the cover, but cannot see whether there is one speaker or two, as suggested by bfv]
- Subwoofer under each front seat. (2)

So that makes 12 in total.
I didn't know there was an option for a "business" versus a "professional" hifi upgrade.
InlineFour is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
 
Rochdale Pioneers's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 520d SE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Stockton on Tees UK

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Having added business speakers to my car I thought I'd add my review. Having just come from an E91 with standard speakers I find the set up in my F10 to be a revelation. Stereo depth and separation is clear and distinct, the amount of bass the system can pump out is impressive, as is the maximum volume before it becomes deafening. Would like the eq options that come with the HiFi system but couldn't afford it.

So if you want better speakers than standard I can recommend the Business speakers option as a cheaper alternative to the full HiFi works.
__________________
Had: E91 320d ES Titanium Silver
Now: F10 520d SE Alpine White, Cinnamon Brown leather, Business speakers
Rochdale Pioneers is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
PALMAN
Enlisted Member
 
PALMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Coming from Mercedes-Benz ML Harman-Kardon sound system to F11 Hi-Fi Buisness sound system I think sound in F11 is flat especially while listening to MP3's. Despite having same amount of speakers
__________________
- '10 F11 530dA ///M-Sport - Alpine White
- '04 E46 325xi Touring - Saphire Black
PALMAN is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
DuneMan
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arabia

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
Having added business speakers to my car I thought I'd add my review. Having just come from an E91 with standard speakers I find the set up in my F10 to be a revelation. Stereo depth and separation is clear and distinct, the amount of bass the system can pump out is impressive, as is the maximum volume before it becomes deafening. Would like the eq options that come with the HiFi system but couldn't afford it.

So if you want better speakers than standard I can recommend the Business speakers option as a cheaper alternative to the full HiFi works.

Do you mean that you actually replaced your standard F10 speakers with business speakers?
Or do you mean that you ordered your new F10 with business speakers?

I have the standard 6 spkr sound system and interested in upgrading the speakers.
DuneMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST