2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum NA Sales of 5-series GT Disappoint. 3-series Touring to Stay In NA Lineup

05-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #45
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Instant collectible?
Definitely. This car will go down in history as a legendary awkward-luxo-sports-saloon; think of it as a cross between a Gremlin and an 8-series BMW.
xDrive35i is offline   United_States
      05-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #46
avus
Private First Class

Drives:

*yawn*

blah, blah, it looks terrible...
blah, blah, too expensive...
blah, blah, the 5series wagon is better...

1- Looks are subjective. So who cares what mine or your opinion is on it.

2- As for being too expensive - have you priced a similarly equipped 7series? Compared to my 5GT, the 7series would cost $19k more. Add to this the great discount I got on my 5GT, and I saved over $31k.

3- Let's be realists here - the 5 series wagon was a bigger sales dud than the 5GT. Even with the poor sales figures for the 5GT, it still outpaced the yearly sales figures for the 5 series wagon. I can't fault BMW for trying something new to attract sales.
      05-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #47
jraymond
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i SGM

Downsizing WIN
      05-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #48
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut

Drives: Maserati GT + 640d GC + 116i

Garage List
Lessons Learned on the 5-GT

I applaud BMW for having a bold vision and exploring new niches. The 5-GT was never going to be a mainstream success, it was not designed to do this at that price point, driving package or dimensions. It is a polarising design that appeals to a set of people looking for enhanced space and interiors, flexibility and mile-munching motorway cruising which it delivers. Thats why the GT has met targets in Asia and Europe.

The error BMW NA made (and a rookie error really from a marketing perspective in NA - and not a product-planning one in Munich) is to expect a niche model to replace a mainstream model with an established consumer base. Thats a bit rich. The Mercedes R-Class did not replace Wagon or E-class sales, in fact it did poorly in NA as well.

I am not surprised 7-series buyers are trading down to the 5-GT - it is built on the same 7-series platform, drives like the 7-series, has the interior trim and options related to the 7-series (not 5-series) so all around a better deal for about $20,000 less.

I have run a black F07 for a year (pics attached) and while the looks may not appeal to all, I have had a lot of positive comments at car parks and while driving. I love the way it looks in the right colors and spec - it is the only model to have several CS concept touches in production form front of the B-pillar. It is certainly one of the best interiors BMW has made on a production car. And it has a nice trade-off between dynamic driving and motorway cruising.

I feel the lessons learned from the 5-GT will make the 3-GT and 1-GT successful models globally if not in NA, building out the niche into more appealingly styled, dynamic and market shifting propositions.

This is a story of BMW NA Marketing making a poor call. But it is also a story in progress of a bold car company exploring new frontiers.
Attached Images

SpokenHands is offline   United Kingdom
      05-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #49
acorradi87
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 550i M sport

I feel victorious upon hearing this news!!! I love BMW till the end of the world (well, with few exceptions) but this was a profound mistake from the beginning. The fact that they REPLACED the 5 Series touring with this in the US was absolutely ridiculous.

Their reasoning was that the 5 wagon didn't sell well. Hmm, ok, so instead of just importing the new 5 Sport wagon like usual for the US market (because it would have been developed for Europe anyway), let's sink a bunch of R&D money into a completely new vehicle that really has no relation to a sport wagon... YEA! That's a sound financial reason.

I'm pretty damn sure their financial trade off would have been better had the 5GT never existed and they just made the few minor adjustments needed to bring the F11 into the US. Let's hope for the F11 LCI to show its face here.
      05-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #50
Matski
Captain

Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
*yawn*

3- Let's be realists here - the 5 series wagon was a bigger sales dud than the 5GT. Even with the poor sales figures for the 5GT, it still outpaced the yearly sales figures for the 5 series wagon. I can't fault BMW for trying something new to attract sales.
This... this is the point most people seem to be forgetting.
      05-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #51
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

The fact of the matter is that when you put it up against the likes of the Audi A7 Sportback, the 5GT simply fails to make a positive visual impact.

Some may call shananigans in comparing these two models, but remember that the A7 is also a 5 door hatchback configuration. The fact that it has more of a coupe-like shape does not disqualify it from comparison against other large luxury hatchbacks. It may offer less cargo space than the BMW, but the 5GT is already far from being a space-optimized vehicle as it is. It is not as if you can say that anyone cross shopping these two would automatically rule out the A7 based on function. Segments like these are as much about making a statement as they are anything else.

I think that it is evident in what SCOTT has said about the upcoming 3GT's styling direction, as well as in the early spyshots we've seen, that BMW has realized what needs to be done to compete in this segment. I suspect that the 3GT will perform much better in the marketplace against the A5 Sportback. And yes, I know the A5 Sportback is not sold in the US where the 3GT reportedly will be. And I also know that the A5 does not quite possess the drop-dead beauty that the A7 does. But both of these things could easily be addressed in the coming two years leading up to the 3GT launch.

I think we are going to see BMW live to fight again, and this will be an interesting section of the luxury vehicle market to watch.
      05-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #52
Mike D.
Private

Drives: '10 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Damn, if only everyone complaining about having no touring had actually bought one!
I would have bought an E91 335i if such a thing existed in the U.S. Instead, I have an E90.
      05-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #53
nemex12
Captain

Drives: e60,z4

5gt=epic fail
      05-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #54
dhirm5
Major

Drives: 2014 M5 ZCP, 2014 X5 35d

Funny to watch Audi repeat the same fugly mistake w the A7. Meanwhile, hopefully BMWNA has learned from this and will bring back the 5 wagon.

It is surprising they'd have made this mistake.
      05-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #55
sbw
Ultimate Driver

Drives: 2012 335i

The 5 GT should have never happened.

The 3 GT will bomb, too.

And I doubt the X6 will make it to a second generation.
      05-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #56
pyrat
First Lieutenant

Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw View Post

The 3 GT will bomb, too.
+1 the 3 GT should not be sold in the US, nor should BMW hatchbacks, nor should BMW touring wagons

while these cars are the cocaine for some addicted Americans, they are generally not successful / profitable in the US.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
      05-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #57
SCOTT26
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

Quote:
BMW is a global brand and must satisfy their markets with appealing products
Each model is not built for one market but to compete globally.
Just because one product is unsuccessful in one market does not mean the same for other markets.
5er Gran Turismo has a strong market in Europe and parts of Asia. 5er Gran Turismo is also classified as low volume model aiming for 10% alongside the higher volume of 5er Sedan and Touring.

A projection the 5er GT has successfully reached.

Quote:
The 3 GT will bomb, too.
The 3er Gran Turismo is more euro-centric and will allow greater expansion of more engines and customer base. In europe Customers will be able to get a four cylinder petrol or diesel 3er GT Allowing the 3er GT to expand it's customer base greater than the 5er GT.

Quote:
And I doubt the X6 will make it to a second generation.
We will by the years end deliver our 150,000 X6 to a customer.
The X6 was projected to have reached 40,000 units initially in the first two years. We sold twice that amount and have now made 120,000 units three time the initial projection. The X6 has been a success because our competitors are bringing their X6 type projects to the forefront now.
There will be a new X6 which is being developed with the next generation X5.
Just as there is demand for a "compact" X6 that we are in development on a X4. Again key markets for the X6 have been China , Russia , USA , Middle East and Europe.
      05-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #58
Touring
Captain

Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoss View Post
At the risk of being stoned, I actually like the GT...
I got to be really stoned to ever buy a GT
Touring is offline   Norway
      05-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #59
hubble bubble
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i

Very happy to hear that BMW will bring the next 3 series touring to NA. I may actually buy a BMW as my next car.

Now if only they would bring a M3 Touring or M5 Touring to compete against the E63 or Caddy CTS-V wagon.
hubble bubble is offline   Canada
      05-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #60
PostModernHero
Private

Drives: 2011 MSport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
This... this is the point most people seem to be forgetting.
Um, no. Silly to base the descision on sales of the previous 5er wagon, when the F11 is SO much better and would have sold here like hotcakes over the 5GT...
      05-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #61
avus
Private First Class

Drives:

This thread is pointless - just ramblings, etc.
Fact: the 5GT has met its sales targets w/ the exception of US -- that hardly makes it a failure for BMW.

Take that info to your next support group meeting where topics of the X6, 5GT, and fwd iCars diluting the 'purity' of the BMW brand are discussed...
      05-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #62
relic

Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
This thread is pointless - just ramblings, etc.
Fact: the 5GT has met its sales targets w/ the exception of US -- that hardly makes it a failure for BMW.

Take that info to your next support group meeting where topics of the X6, 5GT, and fwd iCars diluting the 'purity' of the BMW brand are discussed...
TOTALLY AGREE avus

while the looks of the GT seem to be polarizing, especially for BMW freaks, I have never has so many people make complimentary remarks about any car I have owned

and the more I drive it the better it gets!

yes, it is not cheap, but for what you get it is a bargain - well almost
      05-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #63
FrankiE90
Major General

Drives: Krooked Sk8board

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankiE90
not a fan of the GT -
disappointed that the F11 did not make it's way to the US.
      05-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #64
CEW
Private First Class

Drives: 2011.5 e90 M3

It is almost embarrassing to be next to one. It is so ugly from the back.
      05-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #65
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

i can tell you why its a dissapointment : high price ugly car. simple as that.
      05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #66
goldn
Captain

Drives: 2010 E91 328i xDrive 6MT

i much prefer a wagon to a GT.
better space usage.
let's keep it simple.
bring the F11 to NA and please give us at least one diesel option!!!
goldn is offline   Canada