2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Burger Tuning - N55 Stage 1 Boost Level
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Jacobbeckley
Private
 
Drives: 2011 535i F10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

Burger Tuning - N55 Stage 1 Boost Level

So I increased the boost today to 4.3 over stock. That\'s 43% over stock. It is really noticeable. I am running 93 octane.

What has anyone else over boosted to? What is the \"safe\" threshold? Has anyone tried going higher?
Jacobbeckley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
DieselWeasel
Private
 
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbeckley View Post
So I increased the boost today to 4.3 over stock. That\'s 43% over stock. It is really noticeable. I am running 93 octane.

What has anyone else over boosted to? What is the \"safe\" threshold? Has anyone tried going higher?
I was running 4.75 and 5.0 no problems.
DieselWeasel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
yxc145
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbeckley View Post
So I increased the boost today to 4.3 over stock. That\'s 43% over stock. It is really noticeable. I am running 93 octane.

What has anyone else over boosted to? What is the \"safe\" threshold? Has anyone tried going higher?
Jacob

I did not notice a big difference between 3.5 to 4.1. what is wrong?.......
yxc145 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Jacobbeckley
Private
 
Drives: 2011 535i F10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

DieselWeasel - What do you mean by "was"... That is a bit concerning.

yxc145 - That seems odd, I noticed a fairly substantial difference between 4.0 and 4.3, and definitely between 3.5 and 4.0. Did you open it up on the highway? I also notice a very jerky response now that the boost is up.
Jacobbeckley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
yxc145
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbeckley View Post
DieselWeasel - What do you mean by "was"... That is a bit concerning.

yxc145 - That seems odd, I noticed a fairly substantial difference between 4.0 and 4.3, and definitely between 3.5 and 4.0. Did you open it up on the highway? I also notice a very jerky response now that the boost is up.
Oh, you know I can't drive fast. Maybe that's the reason. I think I will set it as high as 4.25 and leave it like that.
yxc145 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
aznevoviii
Bimmer n00b
 
aznevoviii's Avatar
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 628
iTrader: (3)

I think 4.5 is what they recomand for 93 octane.
aznevoviii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Jacobbeckley
Private
 
Drives: 2011 535i F10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

After reviewing the Burger Tuning forums, I decided to increase the boost to 5.5 on 93 octane. The worst that will happen is a CEL. I can deal with that.
Jacobbeckley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
yxc145
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbeckley View Post
After reviewing the Burger Tuning forums, I decided to increase the boost to 5.5 on 93 octane. The worst that will happen is a CEL. I can deal with that.
Jacob

Let me know how it feels after you do that. I may want to increase to 4.5 now.
yxc145 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
DieselWeasel
Private
 
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobbeckley View Post
DieselWeasel - What do you mean by "was"... That is a bit concerning.
Removed the JB3 as I have an ECU tune now. No problems whatsoever with the JB3 just like the idea of flashed ECU software better. I had my JB up to 5.5 PSI with no issues. I felt "best" at 4.5 though.
DieselWeasel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
yxc145
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Removed the JB3 as I have an ECU tune now. No problems whatsoever with the JB3 just like the idea of flashed ECU software better. I had my JB up to 5.5 PSI with no issues. I felt "best" at 4.5 though.
Yeah, I remember reading your other thread with the Performace Tuning ECU? It sounds amazing, unfortunately, it is crazy expensive for ECU tune.
yxc145 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Ive been running at 4.5 for a while now and is definitely noticeable from 3.5 over stock.

From when I first installed the JB3 I have tried 1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 over stock setting.

Without meth and 91 octane I've successfully run up to 4.5. With meth I ran 5.5 over stock with no issues.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
AKSteve
New Member
 
Drives: 535xi
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alaska

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I increase the boost?
AKSteve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
Jacobbeckley
Private
 
Drives: 2011 535i F10
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

We are all using the N55 Stage 1 Harness from Burger Tuning. There is an optional USB cable that you can purchase to utilize a laptop to modify the settings. It is very simple process. Go here for the info. http://burgertuning.com/N55_Jb_BMW_P...nce_Tuner.html
Jacobbeckley is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #14
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (0)

I am running 2.5 and it feels great. IMO it should have come this way. I dont plan on increasing the boost as I plan on keeping this car for awhile (18500 miles already). I would be worried about turbos etc. at the higher numbers. I have had a lot of friends that have problems with running high boost on stock turbos.
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
scottz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
yxc145
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
I am running 2.5 and it feels great. IMO it should have come this way. I dont plan on increasing the boost as I plan on keeping this car for awhile (18500 miles already). I would be worried about turbos etc. at the higher numbers. I have had a lot of friends that have problems with running high boost on stock turbos.
2.5? really? and it still feels fast and has a kick? Mine is set at 4.0 right now. Since I don't have a cable, I can only rely on a friend to adjust it for me. I want to pick a good number and just leave it. I am running 93 octane.

So guys who have installed this. kit.... 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5?
yxc145 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #16
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
2.5? really? and it still feels fast and has a kick? Mine is set at 4.0 right now. Since I don't have a cable, I can only rely on a friend to adjust it for me. I want to pick a good number and just leave it. I am running 93 octane.

So guys who have installed this. kit.... 3.5, 4.0, or 4.5?
It feels like the car should have from the factory. I also run 93 in NJ. Mine is the default setting which I thought was 2.5 now I see it's 2.75.
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone

Last edited by scottz5; 09-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.
scottz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

I have 13,000 miles on my car now and have been running the JB3 for over 10k miles now and its just awesome.
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #18
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekeem View Post
Ive been running at 4.5 for a while now and is definitely noticeable from 3.5 over stock.

From when I first installed the JB3 I have tried 1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.0 and 5.5 over stock setting.

Without meth and 91 octane I've successfully run up to 4.5. With meth I ran 5.5 over stock with no issues.
Do you need a special cable and software to change settings?
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
scottz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
jaekeem
BMW Noobie
 
jaekeem's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 535i 2011
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Socal, USA

Posts: 309
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5 View Post
Do you need a special cable and software to change settings?
Yes you need the burger tuning usb cable to do so. I a generic one from Frys and Microcenter and it did not work for me.

http://www.burgertuning.com/JB3_upgrades.html

You can order it from Terry on his website on the link above.

The link for downloading the software and how to use it is found in this thread. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=540199&page=2

Post #24 in the thread above
__________________


2011 F10 535i | Build Thread | Power Mods & Dynos
jaekeem is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
aznevoviii
Bimmer n00b
 
aznevoviii's Avatar
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland

Posts: 628
iTrader: (3)

I am running 5.5 here in 93 octane sea lvl Maryland,
feels great, definitely noticible difference from 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0.

I tried each of them for a couple runs on highway, 5.5 felt the best, and I am planning on leaving it this way for good.

No I am not running race gas or octane booster.
aznevoviii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

Posts: 1,707
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekeem View Post
Yes you need the burger tuning usb cable to do so. I a generic one from Frys and Microcenter and it did not work for me.

http://www.burgertuning.com/JB3_upgrades.html

You can order it from Terry on his website on the link above.

The link for downloading the software and how to use it is found in this thread. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=540199&page=2

Post #24 in the thread above
Thank you for clearing it up. Peace
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
scottz5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Njaza
Registered
 
Drives: 2011 535i manual
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Destin fl

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

What are your plans when you take your cars in for oil change or service with the dealer? Will you take harness off to avoid possible warranty voiding?
Njaza is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST