2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Question about Proof of Insurance

09-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Question about Proof of Insurance

They say you need proof of insurance when you sign everything 30 days before you pick up the car in Germany. And they say that you don't have to insure the new BMW until its redelivered to you after ED. So how does that work? While the car is in europe BMW pays for the insurance for 14 days.
So...

What proof of insurance do you need when I sign the paperwork? In my case, I've already sold my old car and my old insurance is now lappsed. I don't have a car to insure and I can't insure the new one until it arrives.

Anyone come across this?

I see they have non-owner insurance. But what, do I get this for 2 months and then buy normal insurance?

Last edited by TimeFor; 09-15-2011 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I didn't deal with insuring my car in the US until the day I picked it up. For me, all the insurance stuff for ED was taken care of at the Welt when I signed the paperwork there. (Might have been a few things that I signed about 10 days before I left for Munich, too.)

FYI, at the Welt, they'll tell you not to leave the insurance paperwork in the car. What I didn't realize until I was reading it late in my trip is that if the car is stolen and the paperwork is in it, your insurance is void, so be sure to take it with you!!
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
I didn't deal with insuring my car in the US until the day I picked it up. For me, all the insurance stuff for ED was taken care of at the Welt when I signed the paperwork there. (Might have been a few things that I signed about 10 days before I left for Munich, too.)

FYI, at the Welt, they'll tell you not to leave the insurance paperwork in the car. What I didn't realize until I was reading it late in my trip is that if the car is stolen and the paperwork is in it, your insurance is void, so be sure to take it with you!!
Yeah, what I'm wondering about is what I have to show when I sign before I leave for Munich. I heard they need to see a passport, DL, and proof of insurance. So.... the first two aren't a big deal but what insurance?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
masti99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10

You do not need the new car insurance. But, if you finance with BMW, then they just need to know that your able to insure the new car. My CA took a copy of the insurance card of the car I traded in.

Insurance is US based only, I called Geico as soon as I got my VIN and told them to start the coverage from the day the car got to the dealership for re-delivery.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Russ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi

The process is a little bit of a mystery.. I picked up 550xi on 9/2/11.. the Welt asked me to show my passport and driver's license. The dealer in the states asked me for my USA insurance before I left, but this was to understand that I already had cars insured.

You should have active insurance on your car once it lands on the docks in the USA. Your BMW maritime insurance ends after it disembarks off the ship.. but this was never really explained by anyone to me in specific terms.

I bought USA insurance for the car after I returned and before my dealer contacted the BMW Performance Center to arrange for pickup. I started it on 9/27. The dealer cannot acquire your license and registration until they have your USA insurance information. I expect to get the car on or about 11/1/11.

BMW pays insurance in Europe for 14 days.. actually they take the insurance out for about 26 days.. but they use the remaining days to cover themselves during land transport to Bremerhaven.

The BMW ED says you can buy additional insurance, but you need to coordinate that with BMW NA in NJ before you leave.. actually about 30 days before the pick-up. I ran into a problem even though my dealer ED purchase order clearly says a pickup (9/2) and drop off date (9/16).. that's 15 days. The people in NJ ignored my request and unilaterally informed me my insurance was only 14 days. I needed 15 days and was willing to purchase it.

Interestingly BMW NJ "emailed Germany" and they said it was ok for an additional day. I got to the Welt and they informed me I only had 14 days... I pushed back and the Welt caved and gave me 15 days. Hmmm.

I guess the word to the wise is to get confirmation before you leave.. in writing.

If you incur damage while in Europe EH Harms and/or TT Transit will fill-out a form for you to give BMW USA claims on your return.

Don't leave your extra keys or any paperwork in the car.. if it's stolen the insurance is voided if you cannot produce the two sets of keys.

Last edited by Russ; 10-09-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0