Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW M5 Project Leader Talks About AWD M5 Model

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW M5 Project Leader Talks About AWD M5
COMMENTS
Name:  awd-f10-m5-xdrive.jpg
Views: 12415
Size:  101.1 KB

It's been several months since we last discussed the topic of an all wheel drive M5. The last update we posted was news from Autocar claiming that an AWD version of the M5 had been approved.

Speaking at the new M5's press launch in Spain, the F10 M5's project leader, Max Ahme, touched on this subject. Although he did not confirm the approval of a AWD M5 already, he did let on about its very real possibility.

As M cars' power figures continue to climb generation after generation and proper traction becomes an issue, Ahme admits that AWD transmissions may be the solution to effectively put down all the power to the ground.

Ahme admits that BMW is "thinking about it... If you are increasing power more and more, maybe you need it." However, he also admits that the AWD solution is not without its downsides -- "It's a good idea, but it would add 120 kg to the front of the car – and it's over the front axle."

What form of AWD would BMW M employ? Ahme mentions that the company has already studied the Ferrari FF's lightweight AWD solution, but will more likely use a traditional AWD system.

M Division Product Management chief Jorg Herrmann also admits that BMW M is looking at whatever means it needs to get the job done, regardless of tradition.

"If technology changes over time the character of this model had to be changed and evolve," he said.

No worries for the traditionalists, any AWD F10 M5 model would likely be offered in addition to the standard traditional RWD M5.

Source: Brisbane Times

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

id take an AWD M5 any day !!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Mprofiler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi

A GTR type solution would be good as well, although the chassis might need a major over haul which means higher cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Please BMW, borrow AWD from Ferrari FF!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Sick!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Christian.F
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F97

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Id love an AWD M5 especially where i live with bad weather, it would be a great everyday car... And i always said they should get it done, it does take a little bit of the M5 history but i do agree that with more power u might need it eventually...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
rmani
Buys too many toys...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Ferrari 360

i hope they don't make an awd m5. i hate awd
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
JustMpwrd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
I'm all for an AWD M5 (or even AWD M3, for that matter) for people in colder climates, but I disagree with his root assumption that power keeps going up and up. Is it power that needs to keep going up and up, or is it performance? Can't they just maintain current power levels (to keep the more traditional, more motorsports-focused, more fun RWD platform) but increase efficiency, improve throttle response, improve handling, reduce weight, and incorporate new technology?

I just don't think we need to get going up, especially as the continued escalation in outright horsepower has led to some rather portly "sportscars."
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
makes sense. This car's power is unreal. It definitely needs better traction on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMpwrd View Post
I'm all for an AWD M5 (or even AWD M3, for that matter) for people in colder climates, but I disagree with his root assumption that power keeps going up and up. Is it power that needs to keep going up and up, or is it performance? Can't they just maintain current power levels (to keep the more traditional, more motorsports-focused, more fun RWD platform) but increase efficiency, improve throttle response, improve handling, reduce weight, and incorporate new technology?

I just don't think we need to get going up, especially as the continued escalation in outright horsepower has led to some rather portly "sportscars."

Your statement is sound on its face, but then you have owners/enthusiasts complaining about lack of power when compared to car XYZ. BMW will never make every enthusiast happy. Striking a balance between the good and the bad is what maintains the fun-to-drive behavior of BMW's more sporty variants.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

How about this, BMW...

Why not focus on reducing weight? That way, you won't have to cram as many horses as possible to keep up with your ever-bloating cars. That way, you won't have to add even more weight with systems like AWD that go against everything that made you beloved by scores of consumers in order to handle all of that insane power. That way, you can continue to make fast cars without having to come up with some bullshit excuse about "no dogmas" to justify your transformation into Mercedes Benz and every other mediocre car manufacturer in the world.

How about that?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
How about this, BMW...

Why not focus on reducing weight? That way, you won't have to cram as many horses as possible to keep up with your ever-bloating cars. That way, you won't have to add even more weight with systems like AWD that go against everything that made you beloved by scores of consumers in order to handle all of that insane power. That way, you can continue to make fast cars without having to come up with some bullshit excuse about "no dogmas" to justify your transformation into Mercedes Benz and every other mediocre car manufacturer in the world.

How about that?
Another argument that addresses valid concerns, but how much lighter do you REALLY think that the car could have been (..surely not significant enough to affect the performance much)? We're talking about an executive sedan here. A car that businessmen want to travel in comfortably with 3 or 4 of their clients/family members/etc. I don't believe that the AWD option is crutch, but rather a demand of the changing customer base perhaps. Regardless of what BMW does or doesn't do, people will always find something to complain about. BMW is meeting a need; meeting this need will allow them to remain solvent and competitive while STILL offering a fun, entertaining driving experience.

If it doesn't fit into your "no-negotiation" criteria of an automobile, there are plenty of other options.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Please BMW, borrow AWD from Ferrari FF!
why would you care, you will not be able to afford one? you be out of a job come November next year (talking to the pic - no pun intended - the devil made me say it)

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmani View Post
i hope they don't make an awd m5. i hate awd
It be cool if you can switch it on and off and if they make it that it will be

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
why would you care, you will not be able to afford one? you be out of a job come November next year (talking to the pic - no pun intended - the devil made me say it)

Why would you not care about a BMW in a BMW forum?
Troll much?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
It be cool if you can switch it on and off and if they make it that it will be
...Or at least allow various levels of distribution between the front and the rear. It's plausible!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Why would you not care about a BMW in a BMW forum?
Troll much?
LemonOne

I posted it as a joke ... was not talking to you ... was making a comment to your avatar picture ... I love driving my BMW's

PS. My apologies if my post offended you, it was not my intent at all. We need to smile once in a while and I just thought the moment for it was right when I made my initial post to you. I can assure you a troll I am not. Like yourself just another M3 driver without a face.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: added PS
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
...Or at least allow various levels of distribution between the front and the rear. It's plausible!
no worries if they make one they will most certainly offer also the standard rear wheel drive ... the M Division fellows are a smart bunch

PS. My C350 is AWD and so was my former DD the Jag x-Type 3.0

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 10-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: added PS comment
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Another argument that addresses valid concerns, but how much lighter do you REALLY think that the car could have been (..surely not significant enough to affect the performance much)? We're talking about an executive sedan here. A car that businessmen want to travel in comfortably with 3 or 4 of their clients/family members/etc. I don't believe that the AWD option is crutch, but rather a demand of the changing customer base perhaps. Regardless of what BMW does or doesn't do, people will always find something to complain about. BMW is meeting a need; meeting this need will allow them to remain solvent and competitive while STILL offering a fun, entertaining driving experience.

If it doesn't fit into your "no-negotiation" criteria of an automobile, there are plenty of other options.
I somewhat agree as I think the "businessman" car should be more of the normal 5 series. In this car, BMW should put priority to what the "M" actually stands for and keep it at a respectable weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #20
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

xDrive M5...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I have to agree with your carefully constructed point of view. BMW takes great care in the design and making of the M Division cars and always will. There is a changing market out there and all they try to do is to address it. In the end there will always be the true M car for us to make a selection.

my 2 cents.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
M-Power111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW....yet

Quote:

BMW=
Appreciate 0