2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK MY2012 520d - What oil spec should I use?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
sixer
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

MY2012 520d - What oil spec should I use?

As the title says really, what specification should I use i.e
fully synthetic 5w 30????

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
skoTner
the Viking
skoTner's Avatar
Norway
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Range Rover Sport Stormer
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norway

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to skoTner Send a message via Skype™ to skoTner
5W 30 yes... Preferably with specification "BMW LL-04"
__________________
2007 Range Rover Sport HST Stormer
Coming: 2012 BMW 520Da AW M-sport
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
sixer
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Thanks! I had a good guess then
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

How many miles have you done? You say a 2012 model which presumably is September 2011 or newer - if you're having to top up already you've got a problem.
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
How many miles have you done? You say a 2012 model which presumably is September 2011 or newer - if you're having to top up already you've got a problem.
Very good point and I agree that the OP has a problem if there's a discernible drop in the oil level so soon. However, he might be planning an early unscheduled oil change - some people chose to do this.
I have exactly the opposite with my Sep '10 535d in that, without ever adding anything, the oil level was exactly on the top notch of the dip-stick for the first 11k miles, but within the past 1.5k, it's inexplicably risen by about 3mm, confirmed by the on-board display indicating yellow overfull.
Various theories currently abounding and the car's booked into the dealer tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Surely can only be diesel in the oil?
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Surely can only be diesel in the oil?
Quite so; aforementioned theories from knowledgable forum members include HP fuel pump seals, injector over-fuelling or DPF regeneration issues; however, I can't see how unburnt DPF cycle fuel could find its way into the oil sump.
I hope to have an answer within the next few days...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
xenon
Major General
xenon's Avatar
England
73
Rep
5,036
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Coventry

iTrader: (0)

Yes you'll notice how I cleverly did not expand on any theories of exactly how the fuel came to be there....
__________________
Ian
Current: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, Professional Media, Visibility Pack, Reversing Camera, DAB
Previous: 2011 F10 520d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Yes you'll notice how I cleverly did not expand on any theories of exactly how the fuel came to be there....
Ha-ha, false modesty does not become you
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
sixer
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
However, he might be planning an early unscheduled oil change - some people chose to do this..
Exactly that, although I am not sure if it's required/worth the effort???

I own the car and intend on keeping it for a while yet! I have a service package but wont be using that for a while yet due to my lower mileage.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
50
Rep
2,575
Posts

 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
Exactly that, although I am not sure if it's required/worth the effort?
Modern lubricants have advanced significantly and last a great deal longer.
Years ago I subscribed to the old-school principle of early and frequent oil changes and there are many who still do. However, considering that BMW probably don't want to end up with a reputation for lubrication related engine failure, I personally adhere to their recommendations.
If you decide to go ahead, the approved oil spec, as clearly defined on page 269 of your owner's handbook , is BMW Longlife-04/Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7027069
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
sixer
New Member
United Kingdom
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North East

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
.
If you decide to go ahead, the approved oil spec, as clearly defined on page 269 of your owner's handbook , is BMW Longlife-04/Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7027069
Not on my manual it's not. In my manual it doesn't list the viscosity on p269 in fact that page relates to Connected Drive. So don't assume I have not read the manual. Anyway someone has already posted the viscosity

I obviously have a more recent manual than you.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST