2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Wheel/Rim Help
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Wheel/Rim Help

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a set of rims from another forum member, but the rims are coming off an E92 M3. I know nothing about offsets etc and have a headache from trying to do the math in my head.

Can you help shed some light on if the rims will fit my F10, stay within the fenders without a stretch and give me an idea on how flush they would be. The sizes are:

20x9 et23
20x10.5 et26

The thread is here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618283.

I like the look, so I'm considering them, but without being smart on offsets etc, I'm kind of flying blind. Thanks.

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (0)

Front :
with the use of tire size 245/35/20 , the proposed new wheel will have
4mm MORE clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 16mm.
- You should be okay but towards the border line of possible rubbing the wheel well fender when the suspension goes up & down.

Rear :
with the use of tire size 285/30/20, the proposed new wheel will have
1mm LESS clearance on the strut side, and the outside edge of the wheel will EXTEND an extra 37mm

- The wheel extends outwards by 37mm, thus possible rubbing the fender wheel well when the suspension goes up & down. I can't really say it is a good fit because it's a bit too aggressive and also note by pushing the wheel outwards that much, the weight of the wheel is putting a bit of stress on the suspension components. I could be wrong. Hopefully others can give you a more definite answer.

Last edited by bobblehead; 12-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.
bobblehead is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
KRUZN335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 535
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,742
iTrader: (10)

I don't know too much about offsets and all but I've heard that we can fit e9x fitment wheels on our cars. Not sure about the m3's though.
KRUZN335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
bunnn
Colonel
 
bunnn's Avatar
 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,254
iTrader: (12)

Based on a couple of other threads here.. I'm pretty certain the fronts will fit without much of an issue. Of course, this depends on the tire and tire size you choose. The nature of the tires sidewalls(wide/narrow) and size will directly affect your clearance, but in terms of the wheels on its own, it's not a problem.

As the the rear, I agree with Bobblehead, it's aggressive. The question though is, is it too aggressive? There's not a lot of reference to be made from other peoples threads. The best 2 thread you could have a look at is: This and This
__________________
Cheers
Ben
bunnn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Bobblehead, KRUZN335 and bunnn, thanks for the replies. I'm torn, I really like the wheels, but I don't want any rubbing. I would run the standard 245/285 setup if I was to get the rims, but without knowing within a reasonable margin of error, it's a definite no-go at this point.

Bunnn, thanks for the threads. I think I've read every thread that relates to 20" rims and their relative offsets, and can't find anything that relates to offsets in the numbers I'm looking at. That and I can't really make heads or tails of the numbers anyway.

Well thanks again, and any other information you can shed on the subject is appreciated.

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #6
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

I was looking at a thread from back in 2010 about a set of Nutec wheels that Lacster had custom made. The fitment on the wheels were:

20x9.0 Front ET25
20x10.0 Rear ET34

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=80

Pictures are here:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=85

Am I correct that if he went with a 10.5 inch rim, the offset would be ET29, or am I just as lost as before? I'm trying to get this offset thing worked out. Is it related to the Latin language by any chance?

Sean

Last edited by ImSW1; 12-02-2011 at 01:20 AM.
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: white bmw
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,062
iTrader: (63)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
I was looking at a thread from back in 2010 about a set of Nutec wheels that Lacster had custom made. The fitment on the wheels were:

20x9.0 Front ET25
20x10.0 Rear ET34

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=80

Pictures are here:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=85

Am I correct that if he went with a 10.5 inch rim, the offset would be ET29, or am I just as lost as before? I'm trying to get this offset thing worked out. Is it related to the Latin language by any chance?

Sean
Haha! That's a flashback of my car from when I first bought it

BTW, I shipped the KW coils yesterday and you should have it my Monday at the latest.
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (0)

Just to add one more comment. If you use those proposed rims along with lowering your car, then for sure, the rear will rub without question.

Ideally, you should look for the rear wheel with offset around 40 - 44.
bobblehead is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Haha! That's a flashback of my car from when I first bought it

BTW, I shipped the KW coils yesterday and you should have it my Monday at the latest.
Kev,

Thanks for the update on the coilovers. You should sell me the current wheels off your car . Hey it sounds like a good idea to me.

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
Just to add one more comment. If you use those proposed rims along with lowering your car, then for sure, the rear will rub without question.

Ideally, you should look for the rear wheel with offset around 40 - 44.
Bobblehead,

Yeah, it's not looking promising. The way I drive, I should probably just go with a set of cheaper rims anyway. I'll admit it, me and the curb will sometimes have a disagreement and sadly the curb wins everytime.

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 25,958
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
I was looking at a thread from back in 2010 about a set of Nutec wheels that Lacster had custom made. The fitment on the wheels were:

20x9.0 Front ET25
20x10.0 Rear ET34

Am I correct that if he went with a 10.5 inch rim, the offset would be ET29, or am I just as lost as before? I'm trying to get this offset thing worked out. Is it related to the Latin language by any chance?

Sean
No, for 10.5 to fit like that, the need to be ET40, so I'd say ET26 is too aggressive for the F10, even some people with et35 and 10.5 has rubbed.
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

I contacted IND Distribution to get there answer on if these specs will work with the F10. They said they know a member with an F10 that ran a 20x10.5et29 and they fit. They said the et26 will work fine and will not poke it will sit flush with the fender. They said if the person who buys the wheels slams there F10 then there could be slight rubbing over big bumps. They also said the stance would look incredible do to the aggressive offset. He mentioned that if they do a subtle drop it will be fine but if they person like I said slams the car it will rub over big bumps slightly.

Cheers.

Last edited by Gkap; 12-02-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
No, for 10.5 to fit like that, the need to be ET40, so I'd say ET26 is too aggressive for the F10, even some people with et35 and 10.5 has rubbed.
remmib,

But does the calcualtion work correctly? Outside of them fitting on an F10.

At this point I'm more trying to get a grasp on how the offsets are calculated. How does the extra .5 of an inch on the 10.5" rim equate to the offset of a wheel? Does it add so the offset would become ET31 or subtract ET 21. The numbers are probably even wrong. I'm going back to learning Latin, I swear its easier!

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
ImSW1
Private
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 97
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkap View Post
I contacted IND Distribution to get there answer on if these specs will work with the F10. They said they know a member with an F10 that ran a 20x10.5et29 and they fit. They said the et26 will work fine and will not poke it will sit flush with the fender. They said if the person who buys the wheels slams there F10 then there could be slight rubbing over big bumps. They also said the stance would look incredible do to the aggressive offset. He mentioned that if they do a subtle drop it will be fine but if they person like I said slams the car it will rub over big bumps slightly.

Cheers.
Thanks Gkap. I'm not looking to slam the car, but I'm definitely going to close the fender gap. I also have to put full size adults in the back every now and then.

Let em know as soon as you can, I appreciate the help on this. I don't want to explain to my wife why the tires rub on my new car. That's a conversation I'd like to avoid!

Sean
ImSW1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
Thanks Gkap. I'm not looking to slam the car, but I'm definitely going to close the fender gap. I also have to put full size adults in the back every now and then.

Let em know as soon as you can, I appreciate the help on this. I don't want to explain to my wife why the tires rub on my new car. That's a conversation I'd like to avoid!

Sean
I sent you an email and a PM.
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
bobblehead
Brigadier General
 
bobblehead's Avatar
 
Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

Posts: 3,587
iTrader: (0)

You will definitely hear it and see the scratches made to the tire.

When I was much younger, I didn't really care about the proper fit and insisted on buying the widest tires out there. Result, major rubbing and tires had to be replaced after only 1 summer season.
bobblehead is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
You will definitely hear it and see the scratches made to the tire.

When I was much younger, I didn't really care about the proper fit and insisted on buying the widest tires out there. Result, major rubbing and tires had to be replaced after only 1 summer season.
I have modded my fair share of car's and have gone through all of the suspensions (springs, coils, air ride) and have run all different types of
tires (superstreched, fitted, slightly oversized) it really comes down to your drop. The tires compliment the drop.

You are right though the wrong setup will result in the fender hitting the tire, that is when the wheel pokes though. That is not the case here luckily
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 25,958
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSW1 View Post
remmib,

But does the calcualtion work correctly? Outside of them fitting on an F10.

At this point I'm more trying to get a grasp on how the offsets are calculated. How does the extra .5 of an inch on the 10.5" rim equate to the offset of a wheel? Does it add so the offset would become ET31 or subtract ET 21. The numbers are probably even wrong. I'm going back to learning Latin, I swear its easier!

Sean
The calculator works, but it doesn't really calculate the offset, just how a wheel fits on a car compared to another wheel.

Remember, the offset is just the distance from the hub to the middle of the wheel. So the width doesn't have anything to do with the offset itself.

But if you what a 10" ET34 wheel to fit (outside edge of the wheels at the same position) like a 10.5" wheel, then you have to push the 10.5 wheel in by a 1/4" (6mm). The offset needed on the 10.5 wheel will be ET34 +6mm = ET40.

Any more clear?
__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
remmib
General
 
remmib's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway

Posts: 25,958
iTrader: (0)

And this F10 has 20x9 ET29 with 245/35/20 and 20x10.5 ET35 with 285/30/20. So 20x10.5 ET26 would be even 9mm more flush.

__________________

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3D Design Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
remmib is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

Im going to test fit the rear wheel tonight or tomorrow just to see how it looks
Ill take pic's and keep you guys posted.
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
tws_andrew
Private
 
Drives: 550i X drive, GTR, Turbo S
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Another thing to mention is that tire widths vary greatly. I know they are not supposed to but they def do
tws_andrew is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #22
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

Ok guys so I mounted the rear wheel to my F10 a couple of hour's ago and the fitment
is pretty aggressive. Keep in mind its on stock suspension so once lowered
the wheel's naturally camber inwards but still I believe in order to run the rear
on an F10 you would have to run slight camber in the rear. Here are some pics from
my Iphone.



Top View


Front View


Don't mind the garage its being redone
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST