2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Why doesnt Radio Turn Off?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
AgsWin
Lieutenant
16

 
AgsWin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 528i M Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: College Station, TX


Posts: 505
iTrader: (1)

Question Why doesnt Radio Turn Off?

For the life of me I cant figure out how to make the radio turn off when I turn the car off. When I pull into my garage at night and turn off my car, I like to leave my keys in the car and not lock it. The radio stays on.

Is there a setting to have the radio turn off when the car is turned off?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
vazpaii@hotmail.com
New Member
1

 
Drives: 2011 F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fort Bragg, NC


Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

If you have a newer BMW try pushing the engine start button twice, with your foot on the brake to turn engine off and the again with your foot off the break, that's what works on my F10 hopefully this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia


Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. Push the ignition on/off button twice. First time will shut the car off. Second time will turn off the electronics, turn on the interior lights, and move the steering wheel up.

I was starting to get upset that the steering wheel didn't move for ingress/egress until I figured that out.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
11

 
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City


Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
All of that info is in the owners manual.......
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
weissja
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Drives: 2014 BMW 550i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

or lock the car with the remote, which works too
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #6
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
8

 
Drives: 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver bc


Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

going to sound like a stupid question but my car isn't here yet so haven't had much time to actually tinker around with the f10.

i can just push the button once and leave the car right? or would i have to press twice to make sure everything is shut off? i've been pressing twice every time i take a demo out for a drive..


Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. Push the ignition on/off button twice. First time will shut the car off. Second time will turn off the electronics, turn on the interior lights, and move the steering wheel up.

I was starting to get upset that the steering wheel didn't move for ingress/egress until I figured that out.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
F10ster
Enlisted Member
2

 
Drives: 99 528i sport- 5spd
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southeast


Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

THis is actually a pretty stupid setup

My wife ends up restarting her car half the time I think due to this rather unnatural process.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
ozarkgolfer
Private
United_States
0

 
ozarkgolfer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 135ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
Yeah, that threw me for a loop too. Push the ignition on/off button twice. First time will shut the car off. Second time will turn off the electronics, turn on the interior lights, and move the steering wheel up.

I was starting to get upset that the steering wheel didn't move for ingress/egress until I figured that out.
You don't even need to put the car in Park - first press does that for you automatically.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
itf joegun
First Lieutenant
Germany
8

 
itf joegun's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4 Sdrive35is, F11 535i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rhineland Palatinate - Germany


Posts: 318
iTrader: (0)

I am curious, is it really different to the E90?

In our E91 and in the M3, if you push the button just a short time, the engine goes off and the radio stays on. If you push again the radio goes off also.

If you push the start button just a little bit longer (> 1 sec I think), it directly goes off completely, no need to press the button again.
__________________
Best regards, Jochen

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #10
raleedy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18

 
Drives: F10 528i MY 2013
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon


Posts: 1,873
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
I am curious, is it really different to the E90?

In our E91 and in the M3, if you push the button just a short time, the engine goes off and the radio stays on. If you push again the radio goes off also.

If you push the start button just a little bit longer (> 1 sec I think), it directly goes off completely, no need to press the button again.
Yes, it's different. Note that if you have Auto Start/Stop (or, for the Germans, Auto Start/Stopp) and you haven't de-activated it, the first press should be unnecessary. Just be sure you're not stepping on the brake when you push the "On-Off" button, or else you'll restart the engine. This is something that has room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #11
mrcamp
Private
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago


Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

If you push the button once, the radio will still be on, but will go off if one of the following happens

1. You lock the car when you get out
2. 8 mins or so has passed since you pressed the button once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey5622 View Post
going to sound like a stupid question but my car isn't here yet so haven't had much time to actually tinker around with the f10.

i can just push the button once and leave the car right? or would i have to press twice to make sure everything is shut off? i've been pressing twice every time i take a demo out for a drive..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
25

 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX


Posts: 1,958
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
I am curious, is it really different to the E90?

In our E91 and in the M3, if you push the button just a short time, the engine goes off and the radio stays on. If you push again the radio goes off also.

If you push the start button just a little bit longer (> 1 sec I think), it directly goes off completely, no need to press the button again.
Yes, it is really different.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
joey5622
First Lieutenant
Canada
8

 
Drives: 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: vancouver bc


Posts: 364
iTrader: (0)

thanks for the info! so basically, pressing once and locking manually shuts off the entire car right? shouldn't the car lock automatically when i leave and close the door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
If you push the button once, the radio will still be on, but will go off if one of the following happens

1. You lock the car when you get out
2. 8 mins or so has passed since you pressed the button once.
__________________
2012 535xi Imperial Blue Oyster interior
2012 Lexus CT200h Star fire pearl Ivory interior
2008 Infiniti G35x Aspen pearl Graphite interior - you are missed my friend
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
alex_c
Private
1

 
alex_c's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 f10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, TX


Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

DO NOT leave your key inside the car. It will drain the battery as the vehicle senses the key still in and does not go into full sleep mode.
__________________
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Hardwire V1 | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
crmgr
Private
0

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ohio


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

If she keeps her foot off the break she won't restart it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
My wife ends up restarting her car half the time I think due to this rather unnatural process.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
Crocket
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 520D Sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ireland


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgsWin View Post
For the life of me I cant figure out how to make the radio turn off when I turn the car off. When I pull into my garage at night and turn off my car, I like to leave my keys in the car and not lock it. The radio stays on.

Is there a setting to have the radio turn off when the car is turned off?

Even if you leave the Keys in the car the Radio/CD/HD will turn off automaticall after 20Minutes. As mentioned earlier the best way is to press the Start/Stop button without touching the brake pedal after the engine is stopped.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST