2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Watch the 2012 528i Turbo 4 (N20) Take on Its Older 6 Cylinder on the Road and Dyno
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
BigKutta
Lieutenant
 
BigKutta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Cool Watch the 2012 528i Turbo 4 (N20) Take on Its Older 6 Cylinder on the Road and Dyno

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
From Bimmerpost Homepage:

Quote:
Watch the new turbo 4 cylinder 528i take on the old 6 cylinder 528i in a head to head race and dyno, conducted by Classic BMW.

The 2012 528i features the N20 turbo 4 cylinder engine which is quoted at 240hp/260lb-ft torque, 0-60 in factory quoted 6.2sec and is 15% more fuel efficient.

The previous F10 528i was powered by the N52 6 cylinder engine which had 240hp/230lb-ft torque and ran from 0-60 in factory quoted 6.6sec. And although the two engines are factory rated at the same 240hp, on this particular dyno, the N20 engine vastly outpowered the N52 engine - 240hp vs. 208hp at the crank.

The result seen here is obvious based on the factory quoted numbers alone, but seeing a visual of the speed/acceleration difference is always useful.

BigKutta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F11 520d M-sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oslo

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

No surprises here. The N20 is a great engine!
LiveLarger is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
AP
Captain
 
AP's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 530d Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 653
iTrader: (0)

those looked brand new , still had the delivery labels inside, so much for running in!
can't really hear them though - figures fair enough no argument, but what about the sound? The smoothness of a 6?
AP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Posts: 1,819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
those looked brand new , still had the delivery labels inside, so much for running in!
can't really hear them though - figures fair enough no argument, but what about the sound? The smoothness of a 6?
The sound?

At cold startup and idle, it's terrible. Like awful. After it warms up, it sounds like a normal 4 banger. Under load, though, it does not sound like a typical 4. It sounds much better. Kind of like the 6 with a bad case of laryngitis.

Smoothness?

As smooth as the 6. Really.
Needsdecaf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
BigKutta
Lieutenant
 
BigKutta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
those looked brand new , still had the delivery labels inside, so much for running in!
can't really hear them though - figures fair enough no argument, but what about the sound? The smoothness of a 6?
The video is posted by a dealer, so no doubt they were having some fun with their new cars, probably making a point to their skeptical clients.

I have the 4 cyl and the engine is very smooth and the sound is very good to compared to my 6 cyl e46. It certainly doesn't sound like my ex-Civic. I posted a brief vid of the sound of my F10. Not too shabby considering I am hardly pushing it here

BigKutta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
 
bimmerJP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [2.50]
N20 is no doubt a great engine. Just the smoothness of the NA I6 will be missed though...
bimmerJP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
a street racing video by a dealership is being featured on bimmerpost?
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
 
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

Posts: 1,970
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Nice comparison video!

My car came from Classic BMW, at their old location though...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Imola.ZHP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Tunisie-G
Tunisie
 
Tunisie-G's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i w ///M-Package
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Techno nd ish... What's the difference in the two cars?? They are both 528i, they look the exact same tho
__________________
Professional Engineer
M.S. Civil Engineering
Tunisie-G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,606
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsenadbz88 View Post
Techno nd ish... What's the difference in the two cars?? They are both 528i, they look the exact same tho
the engine mostly. new one has a 4 cylinder turbo and old one has I6
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,726
iTrader: (1)

I understand fuel efficiency but can a 4-cyl really be that much quicker than an I6 given that everything else remains about the same? That's pretty cool/interesting.

Kudos to BMW for building such a fantastic 4-cyl engine.
TheBingoBalls is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #12
MoeM3Power
Vago Pirata
 
MoeM3Power's Avatar
 
Drives: Voluptuous
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York City

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quite impressive! I drove 2012 528i loaner car and I enjoyed it, agreed with the fuel efficient and great performance.
MoeM3Power is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
malter2.0
Banned
 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 908
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
turtle wins the long race.

it's near impossibe to outlive naturally aspirated I6.
malter2.0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I understand fuel efficiency but can a 4-cyl really be that much quicker than an I6 given that everything else remains about the same? That's pretty cool/interesting.

Kudos to BMW for building such a fantastic 4-cyl engine.
Be careful when you say, "... can a 4-cyl really be that much quicker than an I6 given that everything else remains about the same?"

Here's you answer:
HP may be the same on both cars @ 240, but the 4-cyl has 30 more torque. A difference of 30 in torque is quite a lot.

Take note that torque helps a car accelerate faster. 6.2 seconds to 60mph for the 4-cyl, and 6.6 seconds to 69mph for the 6-cyl.
__________________

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
e92_m3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,525
iTrader: (0)

240HP at the crank is damn good.
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,726
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Be careful when you say, "... can a 4-cyl really be that much quicker than an I6 given that everything else remains about the same?"

Here's you answer:
HP may be the same on both cars @ 240, but the 4-cyl has 30 more torque. A difference of 30 in torque is quite a lot.

Take note that torque helps a car accelerate faster. 6.2 seconds to 60mph for the 4-cyl, and 6.6 seconds to 69mph for the 6-cyl.
I didn't see the distance of the sprint, any one know what it was? If it was short, the N20 is going to have the advantage like you said but how would the N52 compare in a proper race? That's what I would like to see but still, the 4-cyl N20 is a great engine.
TheBingoBalls is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
jaehshim
Captain
 
jaehshim's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 731
iTrader: (1)

it's funny how ppl look at it one dimension about these mechanics and be so amazed about it...

4cylinder turbo vs inline v6 that lasted part 20~30 yrs of BMW history.

Good power
Goof efficiency
They will last a good 4 yrs, what about reliability of those turbos afterwards?
what about the longetivity of those 4 cylinder turbo engines compared to inline 6 bmws?
Especially living in the US where people usually drive more than 12,000 miles a year in all types of terrain, can we really say 4 cylinder turbo is the way to go than a bigger more stable inline 6?

i dunno why but somehow looking at virtually all bimmer lines being turboed now... this looks like a sweet candy "rental car" that will last a good 4 yr and be gone....instead of the good old inline 6 silky smooth reliable engine....they will be missed...
jaehshim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
bavarian19
General
 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

Posts: 18,813
iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
it's funny how ppl look at it one dimension about these mechanics and be so amazed about it...

4cylinder turbo vs inline v6 that lasted part 20~30 yrs of BMW history.

Good power
Goof efficiency
They will last a good 4 yrs, what about reliability of those turbos afterwards?
what about the longetivity of those 4 cylinder turbo engines compared to inline 6 bmws?
Especially living in the US where people usually drive more than 12,000 miles a year in all types of terrain, can we really say 4 cylinder turbo is the way to go than a bigger more stable inline 6?

i dunno why but somehow looking at virtually all bimmer lines being turboed now... this looks like a sweet candy "rental car" that will last a good 4 yr and be gone....instead of the good old inline 6 silky smooth reliable engine....they will be missed...
Turbo's staying around for only 4 years? I think not. Based on that logic, the 335 powerplant should have been dead for a few years already.

Change is difficult sometimes. I personally would like the turbo 4 instead of my NA I6. More torque would make it more fun.
bavarian19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, California

Posts: 1,527
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
I didn't see the distance of the sprint, any one know what it was? If it was short, the N20 is going to have the advantage like you said but how would the N52 compare in a proper race? That's what I would like to see but still, the 4-cyl N20 is a great engine.
In a drag race stock vs stock the turbo 4-cyl will win every single time over the NA 6-cyl.

In a proper race stock vs stock on a track, I'm pretty sure it will be a very close race considering the only difference between the two cars is the torque. However with a torque of 260 vs 230, the 2012 528i may be coming out of a corner a little faster than the 6 cyl.

Although the 2012 528i has more torque, it may all come down to the driver when it comes to a stock vs stock race on a track.
__________________

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT

Last edited by e92_m3; 04-26-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Corrected typos
e92_m3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Diver
Colonel
 
Diver's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,614
iTrader: (0)

It might be a tough sell in the US to have a 4 cylinder in a larger car like the 528.
__________________
Diver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
TheBingoBalls
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E90 325i, R56 MINI Cooper
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 1,726
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
In a drag race stock vs stock the turbo 4-cyl will win every single time over the NA 6-cyl.

In a proper race stock vs stock on a track, I'm pretty sure it will be a very close race considering the only difference between the two cars is the torque. However with a torque of 260 vs 230, the 2012 528i may be coming out of a corner a little faster than the 6 cyl.

Although the 2012 528i has more torque, it may all come down to the driver when it comes to a stock vs stock race on a track.
Thanks. I expect it to be somewhat close. In the video it looked like the N20 was at least half-car ahead. I thought it would be a bit closer than that.
TheBingoBalls is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
Frankisme
Private
 
Frankisme's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

I test drove both myself. The four is definitely quicker. There is no tip in issue on the throttle either. The six really had a dead spot on acceleration.
Frankisme is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5 series f10, 5 series f10 forum, 5-series f10, 5-series f10 forum, 528i f10, 528i n20, bmw 5 series f10, bmw 5-series f10, bmw f10 5 series, bmw f10 5-series, bmw f10 forum, bmw f10 forums, f10 5 series, f10 5 series forum, f10 5 series forums, f10 5-series, f10 5-series forum, f10 5-series forums, f10 528i, f10 forum, f10 forums, f10 n20, n20 528i

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST