2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Dynamic damper control
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
pittx52011
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southeast

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Dynamic damper control

What is DDC and is it worth it for 1k. Does it improve cornering??
Thanks.
pittx52011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Jon D
Colonel
 
Jon D's Avatar
 
Drives: F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittx52011 View Post
What is DDC and is it worth it for 1k. Does it improve cornering??
Thanks.
It's a system of variable dampers and front/rear roll bars with adjustable coupling elements, all of which can be adjusted to soften or stiffen the suspension.
Does it improve cornering? Yes, very impressively. It gives you everything from a plush ride over rough surfaces in comfort mode, through to high-speed cornering with hardly any body roll an sport and sport+ modes.
Jon D is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
MPH
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Wales

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
It's a system of variable dampers and front/rear roll bars with adjustable coupling elements, all of which can be adjusted to soften or stiffen the suspension.
Does it improve cornering? Yes, very impressively. It gives you everything from a plush ride over rough surfaces in comfort mode, through to high-speed cornering with hardly any body roll an sport and sport+ modes.
Does it improve cornering? I thought the Adaptive Drive stiffened the cornering and the DDC (VDC in UK?) makes the drive more comfortable? Nice if it does impove cornering as I've ordered VDC without Adaptive Drive (after much agonising about dropping it).

DDC (VDC) also adds Comfort+ to the Driving Experience Control but most comments on this say it's way too soft.

Quote from BMW: "Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac – with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style. Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."

Last edited by MPH; 07-01-2012 at 05:08 AM.
MPH is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
pittx52011
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southeast

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the response. I'm asking for DDC as a stand alone option for 1k in MY 2013 which I think does not include ARS. The entire package is around $3500.
pittx52011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
MPH
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Wales

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittx52011 View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm asking for DDC as a stand alone option for 1k in MY 2013 which I think does not include ARS. The entire package is around $3500.
A lot of UK car reviews weren't happy with the F10 ride and strongly recommended adding Variable Damper Control (VDC or DDC). If you like throwing the car around then ARS is probably also a good choice. They are expensive options but apparently bring the handling and ride back up to expected BMW standards.

There must be plenty of ARS and DDC drivers on this forum as they seem to be included in some of the standard US packages.
MPH is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
 
Will Pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: So Cali

Posts: 203
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Will Pwr
Since you are asking about cornering, I'm going on the assumption that you do care about the handling and want to be able to drive spirited...with that being said, I think DDC would be worth it...unless you are open to going with aftermarket springs or coilovers, that might be a better option. It all comes down the personal expectations of how you want to handle for your usage.

I came from an M3 with KW coilovers, so the non-DDC suspension was just too soft and un-responsive to me. The Sport mode settings are an improvent, but I still installed springs as well..but that's partly due to wanting a lower ride height too.

I would have gotten coilovers right off the back, but since the DDC has the electronic control feature, I just went with springs for now.

Hope that helps...
__________________
Will -
'12 Alpine White F10 535i ///M Sport
Will Pwr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Stonehauler
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 04 Lexus GS430
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delaware

Posts: 31
iTrader: (0)

I have test driven a 2012 535 with M-Sport (DDC) and without, and the DDC does make a difference. It was enough of a difference that while I sprung for both that and the ARS package, the DDC was on the "must have" list. I would suggest that you try and drive a 2012 535 or a 550 with and without the DDC and see if you think it makes a difference for you. Try and get the same type of engine for both drives (and back to back if you can) so you are just comparing how it handles.

Good luck,
Stonehauler
Stonehauler is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
pittx52011
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southeast

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the input. I have ordered a 2013 550xi and I'll add DDC. It'll add 1k but I guess from the above comments that's it's a must have option.
pittx52011 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
 
half man half amazin's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F10 550i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las vegas

Posts: 429
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittx52011 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have ordered a 2013 550xi and I'll add DDC. It'll add 1k but I guess from the above comments that's it's a must have option.
great choice
__________________
Then: 2011 E92 //M3 SSII DCT
Now: 2012 F10 550i Carbon Black M Sport

half man half amazin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
MPH
Private First Class
 
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Wales

Posts: 134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Does it improve cornering? I thought the Adaptive Drive stiffened the cornering and the DDC (VDC in UK?) makes the drive more comfortable? Nice if it does impove cornering as I've ordered VDC without Adaptive Drive (after much agonising about dropping it).

DDC (VDC) also adds Comfort+ to the Driving Experience Control but most comments on this say it's way too soft.

Quote from BMW: "Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style. Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."
Got so paranoid about this I dropped my wheels down to 18" and upgraded the VDC (DDC) to Adaptive Drive (ARS)

Dealer assures me this is best combo for ride/handling
MPH is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
Biogeny
Private
 
Drives: F31 335d Xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

I find that the vdc does help keep the vehicle flat in corners without active dampers.

It's a zf system and the skyhook control approach uses sensors to monitor the roll axis of the car, if it detects roll it stiffens the dampers on the opposite side. I think from some back road blasts that this effect is increased in sport.

Real oem shows the dynamic drive has stiffer anti roll bars and vdc only has less stiff than standard se suspension.

Vdc is great and you can feel the effect instantly, comfort plus is too walLowy though
Biogeny is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST