2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes ACS Springs popping noise
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
ausfahrt
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: misery

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

ACS Springs popping noise

Anyone having ACS spring issues? At lower speeds when turning the wheels left or right you can hear popping noise like the spring is slightly moving inside the strut. I'm at the BMW dealership that installed it and they checked and said everything looks normal. There double checking it again looking at other stuff. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

ALSO:

NIGHTVISION is not working properly. It's not flashing on the heads up or the screen as pedestrians are getting near. Also bottom left corner there is a yellow triangle/pedestrian with a slash mark that wont go away. I have the option checked marked for it detect pedestrian on the menu so that picture on the bottom left should not be there with that slash. Actually the picture on the bottom left should be with a check mark on it.
ausfahrt is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
ptyboy25
0
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i Before 2010 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to ptyboy25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt
Anyone having ACS spring issues? At lower speeds when turning the wheels left or right you can hear popping noise like the spring is slightly moving inside the strut. I'm at the BMW dealership that installed it and they checked and said everything looks normal. There double checking it again looking at other stuff. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

ALSO:

NIGHTVISION is not working properly. It's not flashing on the heads up or the screen as pedestrians are getting near. Also bottom left corner there is a yellow triangle/pedestrian with a slash mark that wont go away. I have the option checked marked for it detect pedestrian on the menu so that picture on the bottom left should not be there with that slash. Actually the picture on the bottom left should be with a check mark on it.
I think i have the same issue with the Night Vision really havent pay attention to it but sounds very similar to yours. Did you have BMW look at it?
ptyboy25 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Alan l.
0
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,427
iTrader: (8)

Pm Nobleman. Him and his brother had some noises after getting their ACS springs installed and the shop ended up tightening something to fix it.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Touring
0
Captain
 
Touring's Avatar
 
Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oslo, Norway

Posts: 929
iTrader: (0)

No noise from my ACS springs.

My Nightvision works fine, but can have problems with pedestrian detection in rain or fog when its warm outside, I think the temperature difference is to little in those conditions.
Touring is offline   Norway
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
delvek
0
Major
 
delvek's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 550i Msport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rhineland, Germany

Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (0)

Have never been to misery but is there an ACS certified mechanic.

I had my ACS spring installed here in Germany and have had no negative issues with them.
__________________
2011 550i M-sport:Mods: Hartge ECU (490hp/497ps@5500rp 531ft-lb/720Nm@2000rpm), ACSchnitzer suspension, ACSchnitzer sport exhaust, Msport Spoiler, Shadowline Grille, Color matched front reflectors, dvdinmotion. MyBavarianBeast: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530637
Future: 2014 F82 M4
delvek is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
ausfahrt
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: misery

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyboy25 View Post
I think i have the same issue with the Night Vision really havent pay attention to it but sounds very similar to yours. Did you have BMW look at it?
The BMW dealership showed me a page that they printed out from there computer stating that the HOT humid weather will turn off night vision Pedstrian detection. The pedestrian detection will not flash and will show it deactivated with that yellow slash mark on the lower left.


Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Have never been to misery but is there an ACS certified mechanic.

I had my ACS spring installed here in Germany and have had no negative issues with them.
Ha Misery short for Missouri! No certified ACS mechanics here. I took it to a BMW dealership here in Misery. I'm going to have the BMW dealership email ACS to ask them for guidance on to what to do. Maybe the springs are defective????


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Pm Nobleman. Him and his brother had some noises after getting their ACS springs installed and the shop ended up tightening something to fix it.

Alan
Thanks Alan...will do!
ausfahrt is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Stealth7
0
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

My ACS Springs were installed by the ACS USA Rep. in LA, CA and I have no adverse issues--only awesomeness so far!

My car is a 2012 550i M-Sport without ARS. Is your car a 535? (they have different springs). An "xi"?
Stealth7 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
ceebange061175
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: f10 535i M-sports
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lee NJ

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

SO??? Did you solve the problem?
ceebange061175 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
ausfahrt
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: misery

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebange061175 View Post
SO??? Did you solve the problem?
No the problem is not solved the noise is still there. The BMW service Manager is helping me out. They installed the springs so there waiting for a reply from AC Schnitzer USA and Germany to see what they need to do. It might be a defective spring. I dont know. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. I'll post back here once I know.
ausfahrt is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
Alan l.
0
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,427
iTrader: (8)

Doubt it's the spring being defective. It's a pretty simple part and I suspect something isn't tight enough causing the noise.

Normally the spring should be able to move/turn.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
ceebange061175
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: f10 535i M-sports
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lee NJ

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
No the problem is not solved the noise is still there. The BMW service Manager is helping me out. They installed the springs so there waiting for a reply from AC Schnitzer USA and Germany to see what they need to do. It might be a defective spring. I dont know. Hopefully I'll hear something next week. I'll post back here once I know.
Me and Nobleman still hv the noise inside cabin. We went to installer and did everything we could, but the little noise is still there when we step on rough roads. After we went to installer couple of the times, noise definitly reduced alot tho. It doesn't bother us alot, so we just gave up. If you solve the problem, tell us what went wrong. Our springs are for the x-drive and we checked the part number were right. Front springs and back springs are different and they installed it right too.
ceebange061175 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Alan l.
0
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,427
iTrader: (8)

that really sucks. I have ACS springs waiting to go on my xdrive car as well i don't want to have any clunks in a brand new car. Did you guys try contacting ACS directly yet?

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Alex@AKMotorwerk
0
 
Alex@AKMotorwerk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 9,339
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to Alex@AKMotorwerk
Interesting, we've installed plenty of ACS and other brand springs on F10 (xdrive and non) cars with zero customer complaints so far
Alex@AKMotorwerk is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Alan l.
0
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,427
iTrader: (8)

Good to hear Alex. I am guessing its installer error at some point causing the noise because there are tons of cars with ACS springs without any issues here.

See you soon

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #15
Stealth7
0
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

The springs should not make any noise: you are replacing one solid coil of metal with another. Some connection on the springs could be loose, but that would likely be a BIG noise. In addition, an overall stiffer ride could help you notice something else non-spring-related that is loose.

Good luck with your search!
Stealth7 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
ceebange061175
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: f10 535i M-sports
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lee NJ

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
that really sucks. I have ACS springs waiting to go on my xdrive car as well i don't want to have any clunks in a brand new car. Did you guys try contacting ACS directly yet?

Alan
Yo Alan you are always welcome to visit me and my bro, if you want to hear the noise before you intall your springs. We are @ Fort Lee NJ right across over GW Bridge! You will know what im talking about instead of guessing your self.
ceebange061175 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
ausfahrt
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: misery

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
My ACS Springs were installed by the ACS USA Rep. in LA, CA and I have no adverse issues--only awesomeness so far!

My car is a 2012 550i M-Sport without ARS. Is your car a 535? (they have different springs). An "xi"?

My car is a 2011 550 m sport.

The BMW service manager from Plaza BMW where i got my springs installed emailed ACS USA and Germany. I'm still waiting. Once he gets a reply back I'll let you all know.

Last edited by ausfahrt; 07-24-2012 at 11:06 PM.
ausfahrt is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
ceebange061175
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: f10 535i M-sports
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lee NJ

Posts: 167
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
My car is a 2011 550 m sport.

The BMW service manager from Plaza BMW where i got my springs installed emailed ACS USA and Germany. I'm still waiting. Once he gets a reply back I'll let you all know.
Good Luck!
ceebange061175 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #19
SriRamJaiRam
0
Private First Class
 
SriRamJaiRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 550i F10 M-Tech
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: West Los Angeles

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I had ACS sprigs in my F10 550 m sport & had the exact same issue. CEC Wheels here in LA did the install. They couldn't figure it out. I eventually installed KW coil overs.
SriRamJaiRam is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #20
Stealth7
0
Private
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 550i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

The install of the ACS Springs on my 2012 550i M-Sport was also done by CEC and so far--knock on wood--I do not hear any popping or other noises--just an awesomme ride. CEC is the West Coast ACS Distributor.
Stealth7 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Alan l.
0
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,427
iTrader: (8)

I suspect your issue is related to the thrust bearing on top of the shock being an issue. If the thrust bearing isn't tight enough or the dealer didn't put back the washers in the correct order it can cause the issue that you are experiencing. The dealer obviously doesn't want to check that area because it would require them to pull the entire front shock off the car again. I would bring it to another shop and let them get a go at it. If it turns out it was a faulty install then talk to your bmw dealer to have them reimburse you since they f'ed up and couldn't find it.
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
ausfahrt
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: misery

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I suspect your issue is related to the thrust bearing on top of the shock being an issue. If the thrust bearing isn't tight enough or the dealer didn't put back the washers in the correct order it can cause the issue that you are experiencing. The dealer obviously doesn't want to check that area because it would require them to pull the entire front shock off the car again. I would bring it to another shop and let them get a go at it. If it turns out it was a faulty install then talk to your bmw dealer to have them reimburse you since they f'ed up and couldn't find it.
I'll check with the dealership and see if they will look at the thrust bearing. Your right about the dealer not wanting to pull it apart again. It's easier for them to just blame the springs as a faulty product since it's not OEM!

Does anybody have a diagram that shows the proper installation of the bearings and washer?
ausfahrt is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST