2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media f10 530i (new & waiting to modify)!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
f10baby
Registered
Hong Kong
1
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: f10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: hong kong

iTrader: (0)

f10 530i (new & waiting to modify)!

Hey bimmer pros, i just bought this new 530i in HK and want to trick it out..any suggestions out there? i love the wald international body kit but its a bit expansive..would love to hear some suggestions!! Thanks. love
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

U're probably one of the very few who've bought a 530i (528i N52). Is it custom order or stock car? Wht's the spec?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
ARNiTECT
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 530i M Sport Touring F11
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

good choice, we've got a 6 week old 530i F11
it feels like a classic smooth and powerful 5 series engine
__________________
530i M-Sport Touring (F11-2012) 19" 351M, VDC, SportAuto, Visibility, Comfort+Seats, MediaPro-Plus, Loudsp.Pro, DAB, Rev.Camera, Speedlimit display, Lane Change Warning, Sunroof, Sunglass, Sunblinds, Ext.Mirrors folding, Bootlid powered, Extnd.Storage.
318i SE (E46-2002) Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARNiTECT View Post
good choice, we've got a 6 week old 530i F11
it feels like a classic smooth and powerful 5 series engine
The HK-spec 530i is different from ur 530i. We still have the N52 engine & hence it's just a rebadged 528i. Ur 530i have power bumped to 272ps whereas ours are still stuck on 258ps.
530i is very rare here cos 528i N20 is 14% cheaper due to tax rebates.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The HK-spec 530i is different from ur 530i. We still have the N52 engine & hence it's just a rebadged 528i. Ur 530i have power bumped to 272ps whereas ours are still stuck on 258ps.
530i is very rare here cos 528i N20 is 14% cheaper due to tax rebates.
Did you check they just rebadge and not N53 272PS?
Are they even allowed to do that??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Did you check they just rebadge and not N53 272PS?
Are they even allowed to do that??
It's the same car according to BMWHK. Rebadge just mean the 528i N52 is now called 530i instead as the 528i moniker has been taken over by the N20.
BMW has never sold N53 on the F10 outside of EU, even Japan-spec uses N52.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It's the same car according to BMWHK. Rebadge just mean the 528i N52 is now called 530i instead as the 528i moniker has been taken over by the N20.
BMW has never sold N53 on the F10 outside of EU, even Japan-spec uses N52.
Can BMWhk do that, call N52@255ps 530i?
Are the e90/92 330i 272PS N52s too? Always thought they got N53
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
Can BMWhk do that, call N52@255ps 530i?
Are the e90/92 330i 272PS N52s too? Always thought they got N53
Of course they can, cos that's wht BMW AG calls them. They can call it whatever they like, there's no law against it. In any case the engine is 3 litre regardless of whether it's badged as a 528i or a 530i. U can find the car "F10 530i N52" under BMWETK so it's an official BMW model designation.
HK-spec E9x never had N53, they were all N52. E60 LCI 530i did get 272ps N53, even for HK-spec, so the F10 is a step backwards in terms of engine tech for markets outside EU.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Of course they can, cos that's wht BMW AG calls them. They can call it whatever they like, there's no law against it. In any case the engine is 3 litre regardless of whether it's badged as a 528i or a 530i. U can find the car "F10 530i N52" under BMWETK so it's an official BMW model designation.
HK-spec E9x never had N53, they were all N52. E60 LCI 530i did get 272ps N53, even for HK-spec, so the F10 is a step backwards in terms of engine tech for markets outside EU.
So do you know why the e60 lci got M52, N52 then N53 but e90 and now f10 did not?
I always found this funny that the initial f10 got n52 but the older e60 late models got N53.. at least early 528i N52ers have nothing to complain about, even now you can still get the 1st yr 528s w/ N52 (but called 530i) at the 'old' price, just the new n20s get rebates, but the new 528 w/N20 is totally overpriced BMWhk swallowed at least half of that rebate at the list price of 550k or whatever
wonder if anyone in HK will be rash enough to go out and buy '530i' badges for their early 528s
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
So do you know why the e60 lci got M52, N52 then N53 but e90 and now f10 did not?
I always found this funny that the initial f10 got n52 but the older e60 late models got N53.. at least early 528i N52ers have nothing to complain about, even now you can still get the 1st yr 528s w/ N52 (but called 530i) at the 'old' price, just the new n20s get rebates, but the new 528 w/N20 is totally overpriced BMWhk swallowed at least half of that rebate at the list price of 550k or whatever
wonder if anyone in HK will be rash enough to go out and buy '530i' badges for their early 528s
HK-spec E60 LCI 530i got N53 from day one. I think BMW AG wasn't sure abt fuel quality outside of EU, so they decide not to use N53 outside of EU. Even tho HK fuels are EU compliant, they won't want to risk anything cos a lot of ppl in HK have PRC licence & hence potential use of PRC fuel. It's this reason why Zung Fu make u sign disclaimer if u buy S350/ML350 with lean burn function (i.e. those that have $75k frt rebate), it is also the reason why E350 CGI doesn't have tax rebate cos the lean burn function is disabled.
528i N20 is not really overpriced as pre-frt rebate it costs $623k, with the same equipment spec as 528i/530i N52. This is $10k cheaper than 530i N52. In Germany, 528i N20 is 800 Euros cheaper than 530i N53, which compares well with the price difference in HK.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
HK-spec E60 LCI 530i got N53 from day one. I think BMW AG wasn't sure abt fuel quality outside of EU, so they decide not to use N53 outside of EU. Even tho HK fuels are EU compliant, they won't want to risk anything cos a lot of ppl in HK have PRC licence & hence potential use of PRC fuel. It's this reason why Zung Fu make u sign disclaimer if u buy S350/ML350 with lean burn function (i.e. those that have $75k frt rebate), it is also the reason why E350 CGI doesn't have tax rebate cos the lean burn function is disabled.
528i N20 is not really overpriced as pre-frt rebate it costs $623k, with the same equipment spec as 528i/530i N52. This is $10k cheaper than 530i N52. In Germany, 528i N20 is 800 Euros cheaper than 530i N53, which compares well with the price difference in HK.
I thought only the 2007 e60 530i got N53 and before was N52, M52. Each got power upgrades as well.
Didn't know about that. what about the 300 does it have that? Relative thinking of R300 facelift
Thought it was a little more diff in euro between 528i and 530i, when i compared the 528i went down in price a little and the 530i increased (from N52 528i)
Perhaps i just don't like it I still think its just a 520i with software..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
I thought only the 2007 e60 530i got N53 and before was N52, M52. Each got power upgrades as well.
Didn't know about that. what about the 300 does it have that? Relative thinking of R300 facelift
Thought it was a little more diff in euro between 528i and 530i, when i compared the 528i went down in price a little and the 530i increased (from N52 528i)
Perhaps i just don't like it I still think its just a 520i with software..
Post-2007 E60 is the LCI version, & only the 530i LCI have N53. Yes, b4 that it was N52 & M52.
E300BE CGI uses the same engine as E350BE CGI, just detuned to 252ps. Again leanburn mode is disabled hence no frt reduction. R300 uses the old M272 engine & hence not the same as C/E300BE CGI.
In EU the 528i before N20 has always been N53, so transition from 528i N53 to 530i N53 is just a matter of engine tuning. Price was increased but only minimal.
528i N20 compared to 520i N20 is not simply just software tuning. Some have different turbo & different engine block. If they're the same then Kelleners would not have quoted different figures for both engines. Also the cost of the engine itself is not necessarily lower for the N20 as it has a turbo plus all those components for direct injection.
I think if BMW made the N20 as a 6 pot turbo then there'll be less resistance from diehard straight-6 fans, but then again it'll be less efficient.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Post-2007 E60 is the LCI version, & only the 530i LCI have N53. Yes, b4 that it was N52 & M52.
E300BE CGI uses the same engine as E350BE CGI, just detuned to 252ps. Again leanburn mode is disabled hence no frt reduction. R300 uses the old M272 engine & hence not the same as C/E300BE CGI.
In EU the 528i before N20 has always been N53, so transition from 528i N53 to 530i N53 is just a matter of engine tuning. Price was increased but only minimal.
528i N20 compared to 520i N20 is not simply just software tuning. Some have different turbo & different engine block. If they're the same then Kelleners would not have quoted different figures for both engines. Also the cost of the engine itself is not necessarily lower for the N20 as it has a turbo plus all those components for direct injection.
I think if BMW made the N20 as a 6 pot turbo then there'll be less resistance from diehard straight-6 fans, but then again it'll be less efficient.
E300BE 'same' but 3000cc not 3500cc right?
R300 still gets rebate with the old 300 engine?
I really want to know what exactly is different between the 520 and 528 n20 engines. It would make sense for some physical difference, but don't they also try to homogulate everything?
If they are the same, I think the tuners would play along and not give similar outputs to ruin the 'game'.
Now just give us some software to de-tune the N52 and let it rev another 1k rpm and get 300PS
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Alen E90
Major General
Alen E90's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
8,219
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SO. CAL-818 (SFV)

iTrader: (6)

congrats on the new 5, and good luck with all the future mods
__________________

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
E300BE 'same' but 3000cc not 3500cc right?
R300 still gets rebate with the old 300 engine?
I really want to know what exactly is different between the 520 and 528 n20 engines. It would make sense for some physical difference, but don't they also try to homogulate everything?
If they are the same, I think the tuners would play along and not give similar outputs to ruin the 'game'.
Now just give us some software to de-tune the N52 and let it rev another 1k rpm and get 300PS
No, E300BE & E350BE use the same M276 engine with 3,500cc displacement, only the former is detuned to 252ps.
R300 doesn't get rebate, none of the R-class is eligible for rebate.
The N20 is similar to MB's M271Evo, the lower powered versions cannot be tuned like the higher powered version cos I think they bin the engines by output in the first place.
For the N52 it's difficult to tune unless big changes are made, which may affect reliability & driveability.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
No, E300BE & E350BE use the same M276 engine with 3,500cc displacement, only the former is detuned to 252ps.
R300 doesn't get rebate, none of the R-class is eligible for rebate.
The N20 is similar to MB's M271Evo, the lower powered versions cannot be tuned like the higher powered version cos I think they bin the engines by output in the first place.
For the N52 it's difficult to tune unless big changes are made, which may affect reliability & driveability.
Oh yeah, i checked it out, they changed the 300s to 350 engines!
But if the N20's aren't the same, why wouldn't they use the 1.6T for the 520s since they aren using 2.0T for 528i - there seems to be some incongruency, other than for cost efficiency why would they still use the 2.0T for the 520i? Unless they wanted to give more to the consumer, but then why would they give the 2.0T to the N20?
I wouldn't mind reducing the N52s life to 10+yrs don't you think it could that given what they do to the other engines? I don't care for fuel efficiency just let it rev out pls. Although i only went to redline a few times, i think it cuts out unceremonious with an automatic downshift once its hits 6700rpm .. very dissapointing i wish it could bounce around up there like in those videos of old inline6 M engines
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #17
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
But if the N20's aren't the same, why wouldn't they use the 1.6T for the 520s since they aren using 2.0T for 528i - there seems to be some incongruency, other than for cost efficiency why would they still use the 2.0T for the 520i? Unless they wanted to give more to the consumer, but then why would they give the 2.0T to the N20?
I wouldn't mind reducing the N52s life to 10+yrs don't you think it could that given what they do to the other engines? I don't care for fuel efficiency just let it rev out pls. Although i only went to redline a few times, i think it cuts out unceremonious with an automatic downshift once its hits 6700rpm .. very dissapointing i wish it could bounce around up there like in those videos of old inline6 M engines
BMW is not running a charity, they're here to make money, so for them financially the best arrangement is for all 16i & 18i models to use N13 & 20i, 25i & 28i to use N20. Also, it wouldn't work well to put the N13 into F10 body as it weighs nearly 1,700kgs. Imagine when the engine is off boost - u'll only be using a NA 1.6 to propel that heavy bodyshell.
It isn't easy to tune N52 & N53 as they have probably the highest output for that engine displacement in the world (mainstream cars I'm talking abt). Also that magnesium alloy block may not be friendly to tuning (i.e. N54 uses different block). Also the revs are limited by the design of the Valvetronic system.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
f10baby
Registered
Hong Kong
1
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: f10
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: hong kong

iTrader: (0)

its seriously a shame that the new 530i in HK is really a old 528. Anyways, i bought it and its still a great car! i ordered the wald international kit already hoping it will look better! guys i need some professional help on seeing how i can tune the car and get more out of it! any suggestions? ecu upgrade or anything?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST