2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum 5GT: the second coming / mainstream appreciation of a niche class

07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
5GT: the second coming / mainstream appreciation of a niche class

More and more details of the 2013 3 series GT begin to appear in auto media such as here http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721032
Sportier, more resolved rear end, without diluting the essence of the GT PLATFORM: more luxury and versatility, without compromising performance or road feel, for those not looking for a wagon/touring but needing more space.

I can't help thinking that with BMWs bold and evidently firm commitment to the GT concept, evidenced in the 3GT and fwd 1GT development and recent M sport model on the 5GT, the tide will turn and you will see more interest and understanding of this niche class. The 3gt and 1gt certainly make it more accessible as a design, price point and ultimately as a concept.

Many of the biggest GT detractors have never actually test driven the car. Some are sedan/M car loyalists looking at change cynically when in fact, motoring needs and tastes have changed dramatically in the last decade. Others are just sore that BMW NA took the obviously flawed decision to replace the mainstream touring model with the niche GT platform.

I wonder how many of you, actual GT owners, would agree with what I posted about the GT here (second post down and responses thereafter)
http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...=711717&page=3

I would be interested in your views.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Hatchbacks in the USA have always had a hard sell. I, personally, don't understand why and have owned a few (the latest, the 5GT). This by itself is a strike against the GT here. I like it for its flexibility, and, I fit in it and can enter and exit much more easily than I do in the 5-series sedan which was the primary reason for getting it in the first place. I do wish they'd made the leap to provide a diesel for it here, but that may be coming. Since I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, who knows what may be available when it's time to replace it. Now, if I could justify it, the i3 might be a worthwhile addition, but it wouldn't work as a sole vehicle, and I can't really justify a second vehicle - I will check it out carefully when it does arrive, though!

To those that say the GT is ugly, I say, beauty is in the beholder, and to me, it's fine. I get a lot of favorable comments from non-BMW owners, so I think it is a relative thing. Form over function in a decent wrapper is fine with me. Without the rear, it wouldn't be able to carry as much, and that would be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
jdubbs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i GT

I glanced at a GT at my local dealer when it was first available in the U.S., and I thought it looked great... except for the back side. I remember thinking, "I'll wait for the new 5 sedan whenever it's introduced." When the sedan did become available, I was sure I would go with it for my next car... the GT marketing materials (esp. the photos in the brochure) weren't very flattering, and judging from memory of that initial sighting, the photos I could find online, and the vitriol of posters on this and other forums toward the GT, I didn't see a reason to consider the GT at all.

Then I went an saw a few first-hand at a local dealer, and my opinion started to change. The rear end was still its least-appealing view, and the bi-modal trunk/hatch has proven to be kind of useless and gimmicky in mild climates like the Bay Area (I can see how it might be helpful in a snowier climate). But its other assets more than make up for that, in my opinion at least. The interior is noticeably more spacious and luxurious than the 5 sedan. Its elevated ride height makes it easier to get in and out of (with better visibility, too). The hatchback and fold-down seats make it possible to transport just about anything (last week I loaded a 9 1/2' long airplane propellor... doubt you can do that in a 5 sedan). The rear seats offer substantially more legroom for passengers. And the panoramic sunroof makes the interior feel far more... exterior. Gas mileage is virtually identical, and the price is only marginally more than the 5 sedan (and far less than the 7, upon which the 5 GT is actually based).

Half-way into my 3-year lease, I still don't like the butt; to be honest I think it's the worst tail-end BMW has ever produced, even worse than the first 7-series "Bangle Butt" some 10 years ago. The tail end of the 5 sedan, on the other hand, may be the best BMW has ever designed... and I'm guessing BMW thinks so too, since they reused it almost verbatim on the new 3 sedan. I do hope BMW addresses this in the GT's upcoming LCI; without a correction I doubt the 5 GT will ever gain acceptance, let alone admiration, in the U.S. If it were up to me, I'd suggest dropping the bi-modal trunk mechanism in favor of a simplified hatchback, given that it's no doubt contributing to the bulkiness of the rear quarter, not to mention the GT's weight and sticker price.

But having said all that, the 5 GT is probably my favorite of all the BMWs I've owned... including a Z4, M5, and 650i convertible, all of which get far higher praise on boards like this. Each of those had substantial compromises too, effectively sacrificing practicality, gas mileage, and/or interior comfort for style... while the GT compromises a bit on style, you gain so much more in return.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

I never felt that the GT was a bad looking vehicle.. Different - yes,Ugly-No.

I guess it's just personal. I tried to convince my wife 2 yrs ago and she absolutely didn't even want to test drive it.I told her that I could never buy a X5 and be happy[ I just hate SUV's]. She recently saw a white GT and suddenly liked it. I am just waiting for a LCI before I sign the papers . We have to agree though that BMW couldn't convince people in north america enough with this category.Buying would be risky for just that reason...Leasing on the other hand doesn't seem to be a bad idea at all

I always thought that BMW's were never great looks wise[comparatively]They were known for their engines and their functionality. I find it hard that BMW owners snub it .

Last edited by luvthestck; 08-09-2012 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck
I never felt that the GT was a bad looking vehicle.. Different - yes,Ugly-No.

I guess it's just personal. I tried to convince my wife 2 yrs ago and she absolutely didn't even want to test drive it.I told her that I could never buy a X5 and be happy[ I just hate SUV's]. She recently saw a white GT and suddenly liked it. I am just waiting for a LCI before I sign the papers . We have to agree though that BMW couldn't convince people in north america enough with this category.Buying would be risky for just that reason...Leasing on the other hand doesn't seem to be a bad idea at all

I always thought that BMW's were never great looks wise[comparatively]They were known for their engines and their functionality. I find it hard that BMW owners snub it .
Look up the 507, 3.0 CSI (E9), and the 328 roadster and tell me BMW isn't
known for style.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I got a drawing in the mail a few days ago from BMW - it's of the concept drawing for the GT. While I do think it looks better than the final product, if it was built as drawn, it would have lost a lot of its functionality - little headroom or seating height and minimal storage space in the trunk. Given that you want to put real, full-sized people in the thing and actually carry their luggage, I have no problems with the end result. There are few vehicles I fit into that I like (long-waisted, shortish-arms, fairly tall); the GT is one of them. From the driver's seat, it looks fine, drives fine, and for me, that's all that's required.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Could you post the picture here,it would be interesting. Meanwhile something fun to watch at
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I got a drawing in the mail a few days ago from BMW - it's of the concept drawing for the GT.
What drawing? Is BMW bombing current GT owners in the US with concept drawing of what could be?!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

No BMW usually sends the concept art of the present vehicles...a nice touch. I received the initial concept art of the 135 too.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokenHands View Post
What drawing? Is BMW bombing current GT owners in the US with concept drawing of what could be?!!
No, this is (one of) the original concept drawing of the current 5GT. I'll have to look to see if it has a copyright on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
No BMW usually sends the concept art of the present vehicles...a nice touch. I received the initial concept art of the 135 too.
I am on my 5th BMW and have never had any concept art. Ever. What's going on Scott26?

[sorry for the obligatory reference to Scott26, he is my playful moniker for all the BMW marketing johnnies at Welt wetting themselves over their cleverness]
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

GT Concept drawing for current series

This is not a new version, but (one of) the concept drawing of the GT for the current chassis. As I stated earlier, it does look nice, but there'd be no room for full-sized adults in all positions, nor as much room as was created in the as built version. But, as to where it started, this is nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think thats the concept art for the F10 not the F07.
Check this video out.@ 1.27 -1.28 .. I think that would have looked better.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
I think thats the concept art for the F10 not the F07.
Well, the cover letter says it's the F07, and if you look carefully, it says F07 at the bottom - the 7 sort of looks like a 1, but it's at the edge and the Germans tend to put a slash through the 7.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
OHRog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550iGT

I've had my 550GT for a year. In the last 10 years I've had two 7 series and most recently an '08 4.4 X5, equipped with all the bells and whistles. I wanted something more comfortable for touring, plus the ability to fold the rear seats down and increase the cargo area. How does it work, one year in? The pluses are it's an incredible ride, smooth and powerful ... all the classic BMW handling, but with 400HP under your foot. On long runs it has to be the quietest sedan I've ever owned. There's a few cons ... 1) For some reason they reduced the gas tank size (front/rear weight balance?) to just 18 gallons. So, you're hunting for a gas station every 200+ miles, not very Gran Turismo! 2) The rear view is somewhat of a slot, not as bad as some BMWs, but it's still good I have the rear view camera. However, the rear luggage shelf is a light color and its reflection makes the rear view even worse. 3) The navigation system in the '11 model cannot be updated by the owner, it's a $350 service visit, almost double the $199 I used to pay for annual navigation updates. So I used the money I didn't spend on a separate Garmin unit, which has way more features and is great!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHRog View Post
3) The navigation system in the '11 model cannot be updated by the owner, it's a $350 service visit, almost double the $199 I used to pay for annual navigation updates. So I used the money I didn't spend on a separate Garmin unit, which has way more features and is great!
There has been some discussion on this...the big cost is the license. You CAN update it via DVD's, but the first thing it asks for is the FSC, i.e., the license code. That code is generated using your VIN, so a generic one won't work and that's what you're paying for. Well, if you have the dealer do it, you're paying them to babysit it to load the info, something you can easily do. There are places that can generate an FSC code for you at much less than the dealer charges for it, and you can get the discs cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I updated my Professional Premium HDD satnav maps myself, paying only for the FSC code (extortionate license fee!) and it took under 30 mins to do so.

With the Apple Turn-By-Turn Navigation with Siri voice integration, I am not sure I will be doing so in the future as i may run the latest maps on my iPad or iPhone. I hope BMW offers consumers a choice of Navtech maps or the Apple maps through their integrated systems in due course.
Appreciate 0