2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Retrofit M Sport Steering wheel in F07 SE

08-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut

Drives: Maserati GT + 640d GC + 116i

Garage List
Retrofit M Sport Steering wheel in F07 SE

Is it possible to retrofit the M Sport Steering Wheel for the F07?
Have the F07 SE with the multi functional steering wheel but prefer the thicker M Sport multi function steering wheel. Wonder if this can be retrofitted - is it a simple swap and does it need re-coding?
SpokenHands is offline   United Kingdom
      08-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
dmunz

Drives: 2012 BMW 535i GT

I know there is an aftermarket steering wheel out there for the F10 (I'll dig for where I saw it) so it is possible. I think it would pricey though and probably not DIY.

Here is one thread on it:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640326

and a video how to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgymo1uDfCk

FWIW
DLM
      08-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Captain

Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

In many other markets, you can order the sport steering wheel as an option with any version of the GT (if it didn't already come with it). So, yes, it can be done, but I expect it would be expensive. I'm not sure if the airbag is the same. It probably wouldn't require any recoding, but I'm not 100% confident in that. The US doesn't offer the laundry list of option choices that you can get in Germany. I'm not sure why, especially if the customer is willing to wait for a custom ordered one. For example, in Germany, the stock vehicle has the panoramic sunroof as optional, as are leather seats. It would be nice to pick and choose more than is allowed here now. I can easily see the problems with dealers not wanting to deal with picking the flavor of the day that will sell, but for a customer that knows what they want, I'd say let them!
jadnashuanh is offline   United_States
      09-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Philip13579
Registered

Drives: Black 530d GT

Replaced with M Wheel

Yes, I have just done the changeover.

Originally, BMW told me it could not be done and that the multi-function buttons on the steering wheel would not work if I replaced the original slim steering wheel with and M wheel. The reason they stated was that the vehicle electrical system would not recognize the different wheel.

This did not sound right to me and, in fact, turned out to be complete rubbish.

I bought an M wheel and airbag and fitted it myself. Not problems at all, everything works Now need to see if I can get the gear change paddles to work as they were not fitted on the original.

Here is a youtube vid link showing the process: