2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Optimum Opti-Guard
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

What's up guys!

Got my car fully paint corrected and then coated with Opti Guard about two weeks ago. Haven't seen to much info on this forum about it so just wanted to put my .02 in.

AMAZING! Having a Jet Black car it only took 2-3 washes (proper two bucket etc) to start seeing light swirl marks and other marring. This is the most PITA paint I have ever had on a vehicle by far! Something had to be done. Enter Opti Guard.....

My detailer had been telling me about it for a while so I finally pulled the trigger. It's a great product. Water beading/sheeting will freak you out the first time you see it. Nothing seems to cling to the coated finish at all (dirt, grime, brake dust).
Have washed it twice since being coated and it is literally spotless after the initial rinse. Quite incredible. The coating is also supposed to make etching from contaminants out of the question. But time will tell on that one. Best part is there is no need to wax or seal because they will not bond to the Opti Guard. So only thing needed are basic washes, maybe a quick detail spray for added gloss, and tire shine. Cuts down on cost big time.

Overall I am very pleased so far. If anyone has any questions let me know!

Attached Images
 
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC

Last edited by jenks89; 08-06-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
gatoman39
Major
gatoman39's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
yes, how much did the Opti-guard portion cost not the paint correction part.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

I have a tube of this stuff ready to put on my F10. Just waiting for the car to arrive.

Did a lot of research about it and its simply amazing. I've seen a video where someone put optiguard/coat on half his car and after 2 years without any waxing or anything the coating was still beading water like day one.

I plan to apply it to my F10 the same day i pick it up!

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
yes, how much did the Opti-guard portion cost not the paint correction part.
Wish I could give you a better answer but Im not sure as I paid a package price and didn't really ask for a breakdown. Total cost for one step correction and opti guard was $475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I have a tube of this stuff ready to put on my F10. Just waiting for the car to arrive.

Did a lot of research about it and its simply amazing. I've seen a video where someone put optiguard/coat on half his car and after 2 years without any waxing or anything the coating was still beading water like day one.

I plan to apply it to my F10 the same day i pick it up!

Alan
So are you doing the Opti Coat 2.0 then? From what Ive read thats the only one available to the public. Opti Guard is the one through specific dealers I think.
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
gatoman39
Major
gatoman39's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks89 View Post
So are you doing the Opti Coat 2.0 then? From what Ive read thats the only one available to the public. Opti Guard is the one through specific dealers I think.
Correct. Opti Guard is the professional version sold to detailers. 2.0 is the consumer version. I'm told it's the same product though.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
gspannu
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
16
Rep
583
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Opti-Coat and Opti-Guard have the same life and protection.

The key difference is curing time; OptiGuard cures very quickly while OptiCoat is more forgiving.

You have to be very efficient in your application process (doing it right first time, minimum residue) with OptiGuard as it bonds very quickly; while OptiCoat allows you time to spread the coating.

This is the main reason OptiGuard is only available to professionals.

Once applied properly; they both offer the same benefits.
__________________
---
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

Yep i have the Opti Coat 2.0 ready to go on. Already coated my new wheels with that stuff and just need the car to arrive.

I was also told you can top opti guard/coat with optiseal to make the finish look alittle more wet and more slick. Optiseal is a breeze to put on since it spreads over the paint like oil and it just flashes away on its own. I can do the entire car in no joke less than 10mins. 5 if i really want to rush.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Yep i have the Opti Coat 2.0 ready to go on. Already coated my new wheels with that stuff and just need the car to arrive.

I was also told you can top opti guard/coat with optiseal to make the finish look alittle more wet and more slick. Optiseal is a breeze to put on since it spreads over the paint like oil and it just flashes away on its own. I can do the entire car in no joke less than 10mins. 5 if i really want to rush.

Alan
Really? I wasn't aware you could use sealants with it. So just after a thorough wash apply the optiseal?
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

Its not needed and it does not offer any extra protection but it does add alittle more shine and makes it more slick to touch. Thats what the optimum owners told me when i asked the question online.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

updated with a pic of the hood after a rain tonight. This is what the entire car will look like. Glass, trim, and all!
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Its not needed and it does not offer any extra protection but it does add alittle more shine and makes it more slick to touch. Thats what the optimum owners told me when i asked the question online.

Alan
thanks for the tip...just ordered some!
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
jordantii
Private First Class
1
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Hey Jenks,

Did you have Garry Dean do the Opti-Guard? My guess is "yes. I am going to see him next week to have my JB 135 done.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii
Hey Jenks,

Did you have Garry Dean do the Opti-Guard? My guess is "yes. I am going to see him next week to have my JB 135 done.
Hey...yeah I did! Garry is an awesome guy. Really takes his time to make sure it's don't right. My avatar pic was actually taken in his garage. Lol

If you're anything like me you'll be so relieved to get the opti guard done on your JB.
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
jordantii
Private First Class
1
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

I am probably just like you when it comes to my paint. I have more detailing products than I would like to admit. This seems like a great solution. Setting my appointment for next week.

How is the gloss?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii
I am probably just like you when it comes to my paint. I have more detailing products than I would like to admit. This seems like a great solution. Setting my appointment for next week.

How is the gloss?
Gloss is very good actually. It's all contingent on the prep work (which Gary will do a great job with). It's not a solve all though. Will still get some spotting after rain and it will obviously get dirty. Biggest thing is though that it still "looks clean" from a little distance if that makes any sense. Basically the grime seems to just sit on top of the paint rather then really adhere to it.

Took this the day after I had it done. Just an iPhone pic.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC

Last edited by jenks89; 08-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
5
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 550i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

I've got a Jet Black 550 that is a magnet for fine scratches - even with the high dollar microfiber towels. Does this lessen the scratching any?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
jenks89's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
218
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
I've got a Jet Black 550 that is a magnet for fine scratches - even with the high dollar microfiber towels. Does this lessen the scratching any?
Yes. Absolutely. Lots of info about it online but it's a permanent ceramic clear coat. Much harder than the OEM clear so less scratches, etching, and the like.
__________________

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

I applied the opti coat on my F10 and it works wonders on my space grey paint and wheels. Everything seems to stay cleaner WAY longer than pre treatment. Like Jenks said even when its dirty it still somehow looks clean like you can still see the gloss behind the dirt. Highly highly recommended!

If you can wax your own car you can probably apply opticoat 2.0 yourself.

The key is to:

1. Do all paint correction work first

2. make sure there is zero wax on the paint (alcohol wipe down or Dawn wash)

3. wrap the yellow applicator with a latex glove then wrap the latex glove with the applicator inside with a blue shop towel with the smooth side facing out. (if you apply the shop towel on your paint and theres alot of noise you are using the wrong side of the towel) This prevents too much product to get sucked into the yellow pad and i find the blue shop towel glides over your paint much much easier than the pad alone

4. have some microfiber towels ready to go over the paint after the optic coat if you notice areas where it still looks hazy after 5mins of applying. You have about 10-15mins to still wipe down the product before it bonds completely. Work one panel of the car at a time and move on to the next.

5. Make sure you have adequate lighting to be able to see the paint

6. Do NOT use this product in direct sunlight or on a hot surface. I did my car at night with floor lamps shining around the car.

One tube should be plenty enough to do your F10, 4 wheels and still have some left to do a small car with this method.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
nicksbmw2
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535ix m-sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: jersey

iTrader: (1)

If the applicator is inside the latex glove , how is the product getting to the yellow applicator. I am confused.

Are you using the shop towel as the applicator ??
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
gatoman39
Major
gatoman39's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
1,347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksbmw2 View Post
If the applicator is inside the latex glove , how is the product getting to the yellow applicator. I am confused.

Are you using the shop towel as the applicator ??
The applicator is inside the glove and a shop towel is outside of the glove. I have seen the video where this type of application process was used. Everyone seems to have a certain way to apply OOC. In fact the company knew that the application process was tricky and people were using different methods so they created a new applicator for it. One that doesn't soak up as much product and lays down a more uniform even pattern with less high spots:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-dual...pplicator.html
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #21
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Andy H.'s Avatar
26
Rep
400
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks89 View Post
What's up guys!

Got my car fully paint corrected and then coated with Opti Guard about two weeks ago. Haven't seen to much info on this forum about it so just wanted to put my .02 in.

AMAZING! Having a Jet Black car it only took 2-3 washes (proper two bucket etc) to start seeing light swirl marks and other marring. This is the most PITA paint I have ever had on a vehicle by far! Something had to be done. Enter Opti Guard.....

My detailer had been telling me about it for a while so I finally pulled the trigger. It's a great product. Water beading/sheeting will freak you out the first time you see it. Nothing seems to cling to the coated finish at all (dirt, grime, brake dust).
Have washed it twice since being coated and it is literally spotless after the initial rinse. Quite incredible. The coating is also supposed to make etching from contaminants out of the question. But time will tell on that one. Best part is there is no need to wax or seal because they will not bond to the Opti Guard. So only thing needed are basic washes, maybe a quick detail spray for added gloss, and tire shine. Cuts down on cost big time.

Overall I am very pleased so far. If anyone has any questions let me know!

Jenks, your paint look really amazing. Would you ask your guy, who applied this to your car for you, if he knows anyone in San Antonio who does this?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #22
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
The applicator is inside the glove and a shop towel is outside of the glove. I have seen the video where this type of application process was used. Everyone seems to have a certain way to apply OOC. In fact the company knew that the application process was tricky and people were using different methods so they created a new applicator for it. One that doesn't soak up as much product and lays down a more uniform even pattern with less high spots:

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-dual...pplicator.html
This is correct. The yellow pad is only used as the structure for the blue shop towel. I did my buddies e60 using the yellow pad alone and I found it too grabby unless you use a lot of product.

The blue towel method was much easier for me on my F10

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST