2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 - N63,N63TU intake system
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
ARC550
Lieutenant
19
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

F10 - N63,N63TU intake system

New intake system is going into production. Estimated cost will be $1000 each.
The system comes with 2X pipes, 2x filters and clamps, and heat shields for both sides. The picture shown is for a 2012 BMW 750XI.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #2
combatbmw
Captain
22
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2014 550i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

2k? That's crazy
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
Simple3
Captain
16
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: f10 550i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Who's making it? Have they done any testing to see if the numbers are consistent? Does it throw codes? With heatshields this looks really promising! I would definitely pay 1k for this. I bet it sounds beast!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
paul223
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
212
Posts

Drives: f10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: arkansas

iTrader: (0)

Who is going to buy it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Ok let me start this bash.
Arch this intake has been tested a year ago. In summer time it heat soaks and reduces power. It's sucking hot air that's trapped under hood from engine and turbo.

In parts this intake does not cost more than $200 so charging such a high price is absurd.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
gclions
Private First Class
gclions's Avatar
3
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Well, it would appear someone is trying to further my efforts. Good for them, and good for us. I hope the heat shields help, because without them heat soak causes hp/torque to nosedive.

I gave up, and sold what I had to someone who wanted to build a heat shield similar to one they had built previously for a different car. I'm not overly skeptical, it will work if it can be protected from heat soak, but the gains weren't promising enough to keep pushing ahead.

Crossing my fingers, I hope it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
Well, it would appear someone is trying to further my efforts. Good for them, and good for us. I hope the heat shields help, because without them heat soak causes hp/torque to nosedive.

I gave up, and sold what I had to someone who wanted to build a heat shield similar to one they had built previously for a different car. I'm not overly skeptical, it will work if it can be protected from heat soak, but the gains weren't promising enough to keep pushing ahead.

Crossing my fingers, I hope it works.
This design is same as 180 made and we tested that car would slow down every run... heat shield cannot deflect all the hot air that goes up and stays trapped under hood. And this is Same design as you made.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
combatbmw
Captain
22
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2014 550i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Agreed with black. You can't make a product like this and charge 2k. Sure dinan is more. But it's dinan.. Has carbon fiber.. Air filters are where they need to be front.

This looks like heatsoak Ally.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
combatbmw
Captain
22
Rep
612
Posts

Drives: 2014 550i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I'd like to see a dyno of this hood closed and on a hot day. Cause if you leave this hood open it will make some power I mean those huge filters look pretty but I'm concerned real world hood closed.. I see alot of heat issues lots of hot air..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatbmw View Post
I'd like to see a dyno of this hood closed and on a hot day. Cause if you leave this hood open it will make some power I mean those huge filters look pretty but I'm concerned real world hood closed.. I see alot of heat issues lots of hot air..
this intake will only work in winter when its so cold tha teven under hood themps are acceptable. once the summer starts these things will decrease power.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:01 PM   #11
Simple3
Captain
16
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: f10 550i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Hrmmmm... maybe something is different with this set up? Would be cool if they piped in cold air a la Dinan.... would be awesome to get a fully functional intake. I agree this set up should be no more than 1k... $200 in parts and $800 in r&d if it works....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:06 PM   #12
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
Hrmmmm... maybe something is different with this set up? Would be cool if they piped in cold air a la Dinan.... would be awesome to get a fully functional intake. I agree this set up should be no more than 1k... $200 in parts and $800 in r&d if it works....
there has been no R&D done tho =D M6beast is developing a full Cold air intake like he did for the M5 and M6 which allowed the cars to get in to 10's
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
ARC550
Lieutenant
19
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

The cost is 1k total.
Also, like the stock airbox is any better?!!
I will be conducting dyno runs with closed hood. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
gclions
Private First Class
gclions's Avatar
3
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 2011 550i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Arc,

Good luck brother. I have some dyno data if you need it from my intake setup. It lost power every run with the hood open.

I don't have timing data, but my guess is the ECU was cutting timing as temperature kept climbing. There could be some benefit of moving air at highway speeds, so I won't count out the idea just yet.

But, I would hold off on orders until you can prove it works. I wouldn't personally consider it until I knew I had something that showed a gain, but it's your prerogative, and good luck regardless.
__________________
2011 BMW 550 i / Sophisto Grey / BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #15
RED99HT
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: '14 LCI 550
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

you might as well try to fit two toaster ovens in there as well
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #16
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED99HT View Post
you might as well try to fit two toaster ovens in there as well
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #17
ARC550
Lieutenant
19
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED99HT View Post
you might as well try to fit two toaster ovens in there as well
the stock intake system is 2 closed boxes that hold hot air! this is at-least open and exposed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #18
ARC550
Lieutenant
19
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
Arc,

Good luck brother. I have some dyno data if you need it from my intake setup. It lost power every run with the hood open.

I don't have timing data, but my guess is the ECU was cutting timing as temperature kept climbing. There could be some benefit of moving air at highway speeds, so I won't count out the idea just yet.

But, I would hold off on orders until you can prove it works. I wouldn't personally consider it until I knew I had something that showed a gain, but it's your prerogative, and good luck regardless.

I will try and conduct tests. If all goes well after 5-10 consistent dyno runs then we may have something on our hands. Thanks but I think i will start from scratch with a few tests and see what happens. It does not hurt to try you know!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #19
badblack550xi
Major
badblack550xi's Avatar
29
Rep
1,300
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
I will try and conduct tests. If all goes well after 5-10 consistent dyno runs then we may have something on our hands. Thanks but I think i will start from scratch with a few tests and see what happens. It does not hurt to try you know!
you need to do the tests in summer time not when it's below 0 outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:10 AM   #20
ARC550
Lieutenant
19
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
you need to do the tests in summer time not when it's below 0 outside.
Worst case scenario I will run intakes in winter and revert back to stock in summer lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #21
Simple3
Captain
16
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: f10 550i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC550 View Post
The cost is 1k total.
Also, like the stock airbox is any better?!!
I will be conducting dyno runs with closed hood. Stay tuned.
I'm staying tuned! If this pulls consistent numbers over several dyno pulls then i think it will be a winner. If I remember correctly the one company that tried to do this setup had numbers all over the place due to the ECU cutting timing..

If this works count me in!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #22
phil7027
Private
2
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2015 550xi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

If you need help with testing let me know I'm right in staten island. I have an idea also on how to keep the temps cooler near the intakes, same concept that was used on my mustang. If you want shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.




5post
5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST