2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum hows the ride in the 5?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
woderd
Private
2

 
Drives: boat
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: home


Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

hows the ride in the 5?

Hello folks, I just took order of a 3 series sport sedan with dynamic handling package. However the ride is not as soft as I was hoping for.

How is the ride in the 5 series compared to the 3?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
AP
Captain
15

 
AP's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 530d Msport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK


Posts: 673
iTrader: (0)

How long is a piece of string?!
Many variations of wheel sizes and suspensions (passive and active)
I think it best to try yourself , would probably be difficult to describe in words and what one person describes as soft might be firm to another.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
ibimmer346
Major
United_States
21

 
Drives: 2013 650i GC, 2002 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, California, USA


Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 650i GC  [0.00]
The ride in the 5 is definitely softer than the ride in the 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
50

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region


Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
How long is a piece of string?!
Many variations of wheel sizes and suspensions (passive and active)
I think it best to try yourself , would probably be difficult to describe in words and what one person describes as soft might be firm to another.
My thinking as well.

Definitely different according to specification.

I used to think my E39 540i wagon had a superb balance of ride and handling on M-tech suspension and 17" wheels. Some F10/11 models I tried just didn't match it. My current specification on the F11 535i has Adaptive Drive and 18" run-flats. Deliberately went for this package as the best option for the 'road feel' I was after. This matches and exceeds the way the E39 coped on poor road surfaces, both for ride and handling.

Definitely towards firm, in the mid range setting, but that is how I like it, refined and with the ability to soften or stiffen the ride modes. Suits me fine, but others have commented that even in the sport setting running with my specification, they say it is too soft.

I've chosen to run 17" winter wheels to keep the refined ride during the winter months, which it does, even with cold run-flat tires.

So yes, you need to try examples, note the exact specification, wheel size, etc., so that you can specify, to get the ride/handling balance you find best.

Whether 3 or 5-series you still need to apply the same logic, as there are still the variations. But typically the 5-series will be slightly more refined and 'grown up'.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Catfish454
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Catfish454's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 550i x-Drive M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fairfax Station, VA


Posts: 151
iTrader: (0)

Recently sold my 335i w/ sport package and replaced it with a new 535i w/ M-Sport package. There's a world of difference between the two. The 5 has a much softer ride, but does not handle nearly as well. In retrospect, I wish I had ordered it with Dynamic Damper Control so I could somewhat adjust the shock settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
50

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region


Posts: 4,559
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish454 View Post
Recently sold my 335i w/ sport package and replaced it with a new 535i w/ M-Sport package. There's a world of difference between the two. The 5 has a much softer ride, but does not handle nearly as well. In retrospect, I wish I had ordered it with Dynamic Damper Control so I could somewhat adjust the shock settings.
BTW, it is the ARS part of the active suspension that really helps with the handling. My first drive with DDC and ARS (Adaptive Drive), it was the ARS part that blew me away, soft damper setting and you still corner flat and controlled. On sport setting, a very refined and solid handling bit of kit, without the harshness of typical passive sport suspension.

Will never be as agile as a 3-series, but for a bigger and heavy car, does a very good job, IMO.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Alan l.
Brigadier General
122

 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast


Posts: 4,433
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish454 View Post
Recently sold my 335i w/ sport package and replaced it with a new 535i w/ M-Sport package. There's a world of difference between the two. The 5 has a much softer ride, but does not handle nearly as well. In retrospect, I wish I had ordered it with Dynamic Damper Control so I could somewhat adjust the shock settings.
I agree. I went from a 3series 335i Msport to a 535xi Msport with the DDC and the ride quality is 1000x better in the 5 for comfort. It doesn't handle as well as the 3 as expected even with DDC but the car takes on bumps like its nothing. Hitting the same bumps in my old 3 would knock the cup of coffee out of your hands

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan l.; 12-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
BigKutta
Lieutenant
11

 
BigKutta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC


Posts: 543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
The 5 is like a boat compared to the 3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
1HOT BMR's Avatar
 
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California


Posts: 351
iTrader: (0)

This IMO is what makes the perfect ride/handling combo for the 5: Make sure you order Adaptive Drive (DDC+ARS) and replace the OEM runflats with a non-runflat tire like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS or the Michelin Pilot SS. You will have a very nice and cushy ride or a firm but not harsh sporty ride at the touch of a button - two cars in one! BTW, if you add IAS (Integral Active Steering) to your order the car will feel much smaller with a tighter turning radius.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
andyrp
New Member
0

 
Drives: 520d
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Everbody who has been a passenger in mine since I got it last month has commented on how comfortable it is or how smooth it drives.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #11
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2011 535i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 487
iTrader: (0)

There is a reason why everybody say the new 5 feels like a Lincoln.
If ride comfort is all you care about, you'll be heaven.
__________________
2011 535i Alpine White, Oyster on black interior, Premium 1 & 2 Package, Magnaflow Full Cat-Back Exhaust, JB4 Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
woderd
Private
2

 
Drives: boat
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: home


Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

My car still had the effin shipping blocks on them. I have removed them and the car actually absorbs a pot hole now...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13134868
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #13
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
29

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston


Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
The 5 is like a boat compared to the 3
I can go with this.
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
24

 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA


Posts: 1,983
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I can go with this.
It depends on which 3 you compare it to. Compare to the base line F30 or any F30 except for the sport line, the F30 is not much better than the F10.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
BigKutta
Lieutenant
11

 
BigKutta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 528i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Washington DC


Posts: 543
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It depends on which 3 you compare it to. Compare to the base line F30 or any F30 except for the sport line, the F30 is not much better than the F10.
I actually compared it to my e46, a very different animal than the F30 I am sure. Anyway, it felt like a boat when I first got it, but now I have gotten used to it and the much more comfortable ride. This is the reason why I bought a 5 series, and I knew exactly what i was getting into. I believe that regardless of the "feel", the F10 is every bit a BMW in every way

Let me also clarify what I mean by "it feels like a boat". After getting out of an e46 and into an F10, it felt much larger, especially the hood, and the larger turning radius made it feel like a boat. Believe me, the F10 is no boat and I absolutely love it

Last edited by BigKutta; 12-21-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
29

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston


Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It depends on which 3 you compare it to. Compare to the base line F30 or any F30 except for the sport line, the F30 is not much better than the F10.
I was comparing against the 09 M3. But a boat is a boat. 5 series non M to me is a boat.
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7

 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I was comparing against the 09 M3. But a boat is a boat. 5 series non M to me is a boat.
Well, I've learned something today.

Apparently a boat is er, a boat.

Occam's razor at it's finest...
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
15

 
VWtoBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 740Li
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto


Posts: 815
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2013 535i xDrive  [5.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
This is a link with a few good comments

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780853
__________________
2013 F10 535i xDrive Space Grey, Oyster Napa Leather, DHP, HUD, Rear Entertainment, Luxury and Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
42

 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: Made in Bavaria
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!


Posts: 1,605
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
This IMO is what makes the perfect ride/handling combo for the 5: Make sure you order Adaptive Drive (DDC+ARS) and replace the OEM runflats with a non-runflat tire like the Conti Extreme Contact DWS or the Michelin Pilot SS. You will have a very nice and cushy ride or a firm but not harsh sporty ride at the touch of a button - two cars in one! BTW, if you add IAS (Integral Active Steering) to your order the car will feel much smaller with a tighter turning radius.
That's what I did. Replaced my stock shocks with H&R Sport Springs and then swapped out OEM Pirelli Run Flats with Michelin Pilot Sport AS (needs em for the winter weather up here in the Pacific NW) and add to that the M Sport package and Sport Transmission and the DDC+ARS in my car and it rides very nice and is adaptable. By habit and driving style I normally put it in Sport mode for the chassis and the leave it in Sport Transmission mode about 5 secs after pushing the start button and leave it there. Add the Dinan Stage 1 tune and an Eisenmann Race Exhaust and I am loving this car daily more and more!
__________________
'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
29

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston


Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
That's what I did. Replaced my stock shocks with H&R Sport Springs and then swapped out OEM Pirelli Run Flats with Michelin Pilot Sport AS (needs em for the winter weather up here in the Pacific NW) and add to that the M Sport package and Sport Transmission and the DDC+ARS in my car and it rides very nice and is adaptable. By habit and driving style I normally put it in Sport mode for the chassis and the leave it in Sport Transmission mode about 5 secs after pushing the start button and leave it there. Add the Dinan Stage 1 tune and an Eisenmann Race Exhaust and I am loving this car daily more and more!
With all that money you threw at that car you could have been in the M5. Im just saying.
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
42

 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: Made in Bavaria
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!


Posts: 1,605
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
With all that money you threw at that car you could have been in the M5. Im just saying.
Ah urban..r u joking?
Eisennman. Race= $1900
H&R Springs= $225
Dinan Stage 1= $2450
Michellin Non Run Flats= $975
Other cosmetic mods (grille, reflectors, OEM spoler, diffuser)= $750 ish
Total mods=$6300

2012 BMW 550i sold 8/12=80,945 (discounted to $72945)
BMW discounts/incentives=$4500 off
BMW CCA rebate=$1000

2013 BMW M5=$100.975 similarly equipped as my 550i option wise(cheapest I've seen at my dealer was a stripped one for $95k)

So once again tell the the logic of how my extra $6300 would have put me in an F10 M5 under the same perameters? I could have had an M5 or M6 for that matter (none were avail at my dealerships back in Aug...he has 3 M5s now sitting free to purchase on the lot!) but I didn't want to spend that $$$ to BMW when the 550i properly "adjusted" is very close to the same car in performance which I use on a daily basis on legal streets! Now if I were tracking the car or I needed to have an M badge that's different BUT I've had 3 M cars already since 2006 and have two Porsches for track duty...so I really didn't see the need to blow an extra $30k on the at this time! Sorry but worked for me!

The M5 is a great car I just think if it is not your only car or daily/track car then other options such as the 550i may fit better at a better price point. What does BMW's website call the 550i 1/2 race car...1/2 sports sedan. Done correctly I am finding that to be quite true!
__________________
'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
29

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston


Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Ah urban..r u joking?
Eisennman. Race= $1900
H&R Springs= $225
Dinan Stage 1= $2450
Michellin Non Run Flats= $975
Other cosmetic mods (grille, reflectors, OEM spoler, diffuser)= $750 ish
Total mods=$6300

2012 BMW 550i sold 8/12=80,945 (discounted to $72945)
BMW discounts/incentives=$4500 off
BMW CCA rebate=$1000

2013 BMW M5=$100.975 similarly equipped as my 550i option wise(cheapest I've seen at my dealer was a stripped one for $95k)

So once again tell the the logic of how my extra $6300 would have put me in an F10 M5 under the same perameters? I could have had an M5 or M6 for that matter (none were avail at my dealerships back in Aug...he has 3 M5s now sitting free to purchase on the lot!) but I didn't want to spend that $$$ to BMW when the 550i properly "adjusted" is very close to the same car in performance which I use on a daily basis on legal streets! Now if I were tracking the car or I needed to have an M badge that's different BUT I've had 3 M cars already since 2006 and have two Porsches for track duty...so I really didn't see the need to blow an extra $30k on the at this time! Sorry but worked for me!

The M5 is a great car I just think if it is not your only car or daily/track car then other options such as the 550i may fit better at a better price point. What does BMW's website call the 550i 1/2 race car...1/2 sports sedan. Done correctly I am finding that to be quite true!
OK Boss. Enjoy your 1/2 race car...1/2 sports sedan...
__________________
2013 M5-Silverstone
2013 ZL1-Summit White
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST