2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Help with alpina turbos
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Help with alpina turbos

So I received the ebay alpinas and had one diverter valve bad as soon as I installed. I swapped with one out of my Garrett 2256, the stock n63 turbo, and got it driving but the boost between banks is insane. Bank one with my 2256 diverter valve is right on target, but bank 2 is anywhere from 3-6 psi higher. I marked the wastegate and tried to get closer but ran out of room on the rod to loosen it. Could it really be the diverter valve causing this, I assumed it played no part until releasing boost when you let off the throttle. I have two new ones on the way, but the only issue I have is the imbalance. I went to make the diverters matching from my old turbos and find my second diverter valve ripped to shreds. I bet thatís why I could never get my boost up like I could a year ago. Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #2
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morebs4me View Post
So I received the ebay alpinas and had one diverter valve bad as soon as I installed. I swapped with one out of my Garrett 2256, the stock n63 turbo, and got it driving but the boost between banks is insane. Bank one with my 2256 diverter valve is right on target, but bank 2 is anywhere from 3-6 psi higher. I marked the wastegate and tried to get closer but ran out of room on the rod to loosen it. Could it really be the diverter valve causing this, I assumed it played no part until releasing boost when you let off the throttle. I have two new ones on the way, but the only issue I have is the imbalance. I went to make the diverters matching from my old turbos and find my second diverter valve ripped to shreds. I bet thatís why I could never get my boost up like I could a year ago. Any advice?
Gonna get matching diverter valves and go from there. Alternator died today, so hopefully tomorrow Iíll fix that and by Thursday or Friday I can pull the turbo and change one or both diverter.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #3
addy27
Private First Class
17
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

What Alpina Turbos did you end up getting? the newest ones with the 60mm impeller and the Alpina BOV or from the Pre-LCI Alpina with Diverter valves?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

2012 with diverter valves. Turns out both my old turbos diverter valves were shot and I missed it at midnight installing it. A new diverter valve in the alpinas and Iím only a few psi off. It feels insane now, so much more power. The case is 2259 so I assume still 59 or 60mm impeller.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
addy27
Private First Class
17
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Just wanting to confirm, are your alpina turbos the same as this listing :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Turbo...1aowq0&vxp=mtr

or this one :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbocharge...FZn7YC&vxp=mtr

The second one is the bigger turbo with a much bigger diverter/blow off valve. First one looks like a stock N63 Diverter.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
addy27
Private First Class
17
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Also, what tune are you running? or have you got JB4 or other piggyback added?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Also, what tune are you running? or have you got JB4 or other piggyback added?
Serg tuned it but for stock turbos not these. I have jb4 but still on map 0. Both turbos are the same I think when I checked part numbers. My diverter valves are huge compared to n63, I ordered a pair for both turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #8
addy27
Private First Class
17
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

So i looked and it seems the alpina blowoff valve is essenstially a beefier diverted valve. The function is the same : to send excess air back to intake side. Iíll read up on Sergí s tune. My car is a daily so shipping DME is a concern. Did dinan ever really tune the n63 or just released the dinantronics piggy back system?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Idk. With my alpina Sergís tune is doing 12.1-12.2 at 118-119 mph but my launch is awful. Over 2 second 60 ft lmao.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
badblack550xi
Colonel
badblack550xi's Avatar
325
Rep
2,188
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morebs4me View Post
Idk. With my alpina Sergís tune is doing 12.1-12.2 at 118-119 mph but my launch is awful. Over 2 second 60 ft lmao.
just need more time on track and you will be in 11's
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

11.964 at 118.68 with 1.939 60 ft.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #12
warpeacelove
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morebs4me View Post
Serg tuned it but for stock turbos not these. I have jb4 but still on map 0. Both turbos are the same I think when I checked part numbers. My diverter valves are huge compared to n63, I ordered a pair for both turbos.
So you werenít able to TUNE the upgraded Alpina B5 (803709-0007) Turboís-Is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Havenít been up to try, I installed it and was testing on my current tune and had plenty of fuel for e30 and 16-18 psi
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #14
SchillerM
Second Lieutenant
53
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
So i looked and it seems the alpina blowoff valve is essenstially a beefier diverted valve. The function is the same : to send excess air back to intake side. Iíll read up on Sergí s tune. My car is a daily so shipping DME is a concern. Did dinan ever really tune the n63 or just released the dinantronics piggy back system?
N63 they tuned. Stage 6 is for Alpina turbos, IC, exhaust, and intake. Not listed in their site but available by request. They never got CARB approval so they stopped listing it.
The TU gets the dinantronics system.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #15
warpeacelove
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
N63 they tuned. Stage 6 is for Alpina turbos, IC, exhaust, and intake. Not listed in their site but available by request. They never got CARB approval so they stopped listing it.
The TU gets the dinantronics system.
How much HP/TQ does stage produce in comparison to JB4 Beta + BCM?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
badblack550xi
Colonel
badblack550xi's Avatar
325
Rep
2,188
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeacelove View Post
How much HP/TQ does stage produce in comparison to JB4 Beta + BCM?
nothing dinan can compare to JB4 even stage 1
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #17
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Iím doing 16-18psi on e30 on alpina turbos. Iím 100% dinan wont touch the numbers Iíll get when I dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #18
SchillerM
Second Lieutenant
53
Rep
285
Posts

Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

542/587 for stage 6
521/585 for stage 5

Not a huge difference in peak numbers, but I believe the curve was good all the way.

The ideal to me would be Stage 6 for daily use, and a JB4 to manipulate 3.5Bar sensors, and have the ability to go wild when needed.
__________________
2011 Space Grey 550i - Eisenmann exhaust, ACS Springs, Dinan Intercoolers, Intake, & Stage 5 tune
2011 Space Grey 335i - M Performance exhaust - Wifes
Past: 2000 Avus Blue M5 - Dinan exhaust, flywheel, & tune 180k+miles
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #19
Morebs4me
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I did 525 on stock turbo with jb4 and bcm with similar psi, I donít know what Iíll dyno now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #20
warpeacelove
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morebs4me View Post
I did 525 on stock turbo with jb4 and bcm with similar psi, I donít know what Iíll dyno now.
You mean additives? With Dinan tune no additives are being used. Now with the JB4 + BCM it requires high octane fuel. I want to make power without steroids.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #21
badblack550xi
Colonel
badblack550xi's Avatar
325
Rep
2,188
Posts

Drives: F10 550xi 2013
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeacelove View Post
You mean additives? With Dinan tune no additives are being used. Now with the JB4 + BCM it requires high octane fuel. I want to make power without steroids.
pull out the turbos then
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #22
warpeacelove
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 550i
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
pull out the turbos then
I forgot Dinan use upgraded Turbos.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST