2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Piggy Bach chip

12-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Fokker123
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport

Piggy back

I know this question has been asked aces times but I'm thinking about getting a 'box' to boost the performance of my 520d. The 525 / 530 where out of the question in terms of cost for me and the performance of the 2 liter isn't terrible but I've heard the these chips are reliable and work well without damaging the cars. A remap is out if the question as I don't want to invalidate the warranty.

Does anyone have any experience of them? I'm thinking the DTUK one which alters boost as sell as fuel. It's the CRD -T which a 2 channel system. I'd just remove it prior to servicing just in case. Insurance company aren't asking for any more on the premium either. Not to everyone's tastes I suppose but thought worth asking on here?

Dave
      12-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
AP
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

had you considered the BMW upgrade?
No worries as regards warranty with this.
No idea of costs. Might be worth considering?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...it_diesel.html
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Fokker123
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport

I have but it's very costly. 950 pounds just for the parts which consist of new fan assembly and various other bits.
It's about 1500 all in. DTUK piggy back chip is 399. A little more crude but quite advanced now compared to a few years ago.
I'd be looking at 219bhp so a good dollop over the 181bhp standard.

The only reason I'm considering this is because I drive rather a lot on fast A roads from South Wales to North Wales up through the Brecon beacons on the A470 to my parents in the Porthmadog area and overtaking in the 520d is a sphincter twitching experience at times in standard guise. Great in the C4S, simply one of the best 3 hours you could spend behind the wheel anywhere. Just looking to make driving up there with he BM a little more safe an effortless.

I'm going to run the car in before adding anything obviously, prob do about 2000 miles then add a chip. I'll let you all know how it performs. Would be interesting to hear of anyone else's experiences in the meantime though.

Dave

Info here http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/bmw-diesel-tuning.html