2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
 

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications m5 full exhaust installed
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

m5 full exhaust installed

here are some quick pics. i'll post more after a wash

one pic had the new tips vs the old smaller tips to show the difference. used the full m5 exhaust all the way up to the downpipes (which they had to modify to fit). even the guys at the shop were surprised on how mean this thing sounds. 100x's better sounding with no drone at all. I'll try to get sound clips by the end of the week.







quick vid of the car warming up this morning.

__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
CyclePimps
New Member
 
CyclePimps's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dfw

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Hey topaz, it looks and sounds great! I am about to do this same mod for my F10 535i with a full M5 exhaust.

A few questions, if I may...What exhaust tips are you using? What size are the tips? How much did the exhaust install cost? How much did painting the diffuser cost?

Just want to make sure the quotes that I get will be in the ballpark of what others are paying. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.
CyclePimps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Hey topaz, it looks and sounds great! I am about to do this same mod for my F10 535i with a full M5 exhaust.

A few questions, if I may...What exhaust tips are you using? What size are the tips? How much did the exhaust install cost? How much did painting the diffuser cost?

Just want to make sure the quotes that I get will be in the ballpark of what others are paying. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.
tips are 3.5", not sure of the name brand of the tips though. exhaust cost me 850 with another 650 for install and tips. painting the diffuser didn't cost me anything since I have a friend who owns his shop but I don't see it being mor than 100-150 bucks to paint.
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,180
iTrader: (64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Hey topaz, it looks and sounds great! I am about to do this same mod for my F10 535i with a full M5 exhaust.

A few questions, if I may...What exhaust tips are you using? What size are the tips? How much did the exhaust install cost? How much did painting the diffuser cost?

Just want to make sure the quotes that I get will be in the ballpark of what others are paying. Any info you can provide would be great. Thanks in advance.
Hey cyclepimps,

I'm currently running the M5 exhaust on my 535i and just so you know you
won't be able to run the full M5 exhaust due to different piping the two have.

What you can and most likely do like me is an axleback M5 with factory 535 piping and your muffler shop would need to make an adaptor cause the M5 piping is 3" and ours is only 2 1/4" piping.
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Silververtu
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A

Posts: 487
iTrader: (3)

very very mean sound!!!!
__________________
2013 550i M Sport

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster
Silververtu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
very very mean sound!!!!
def a big difference from stock. when i dropped the car off and they rev'ed it they all laughed. it sounded like a big gush of wind. afterwards they were all surprised at the sound especially at full throttle.
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Silververtu
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: US of A

Posts: 487
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
def a big difference from stock. when i dropped the car off and they rev'ed it they all laughed. it sounded like a big gush of wind. afterwards they were all surprised at the sound especially at full throttle.
After listening to your video, I have been finding ways to source a set of Full M5 exhaust. Was the install straight forward? If I don't remember wrong, M5 pipes have a larger diameter.
__________________
2013 550i M Sport

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster
Silververtu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
After listening to your video, I have been finding ways to source a set of Full M5 exhaust. Was the install straight forward? If I don't remember wrong, M5 pipes have a larger diameter.
pretty much. the only part he needed to modify was where the pipping connects to the downpipes. not only are the diameters different but the angle they bolt up were as well. My shop modified that part to fit and the rest bolted right up with no problem. The black cross bracket couldn't be bolted back on because the extra diameter of the pipes cause it to touch the bracket and I didn't want it to rattle like crazy. I just left that piece off so hopefully its not that important
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Alan l.
Brigadier General
 
Alan l.'s Avatar
 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 4,435
iTrader: (8)

Did you have to hack off some parts of the bumper and relocate the sensors to fit the M5 diffuser on?
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Alan l. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Did you have to hack off some parts of the bumper and relocate the sensors to fit the M5 diffuser on?
yep there was a black plastic piece they hacked off. we tried to put back the sensors in the same place it was prior using double sided heavy duty tape. the comfort access for the trunk somewhat works. it never worked great before so i honestly can't tell a difference. i have to kick numerous times to get lucky and have the trunk open
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
alextremo
Captain
 
Drives: F10 550i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA

Posts: 920
iTrader: (3)

That sounds great.
alextremo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

phone recording when inside the car. Some cruising and some acceleration. cops were out so didn't want to press my luck

__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
kthankzbye
First Lieutenant
 
kthankzbye's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 550i DGM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 367
iTrader: (1)

Nice aggressive sound! I thought it had a turbo blowoff sound on your first acceleration but it was only your hand sliding across the steering wheel lol. Awesome mod!
kthankzbye is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
CyclePimps
New Member
 
CyclePimps's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dfw

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
pretty much. the only part he needed to modify was where the pipping connects to the downpipes. not only are the diameters different but the angle they bolt up were as well. My shop modified that part to fit and the rest bolted right up with no problem. The black cross bracket couldn't be bolted back on because the extra diameter of the pipes cause it to touch the bracket and I didn't want it to rattle like crazy. I just left that piece off so hopefully its not that important
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz330 View Post
yep there was a black plastic piece they hacked off. we tried to put back the sensors in the same place it was prior using double sided heavy duty tape. the comfort access for the trunk somewhat works. it never worked great before so i honestly can't tell a difference. i have to kick numerous times to get lucky and have the trunk open
LACSTER - Couldn't we do this on our 535 as well? Or have the shop cut off a little after the downpipe connection and weld a transition piece going from 2.25" to 3", then connect the M5 pipes from there back? Also, did you have to modify the sensor? Any issues with the CA trunk?
CyclePimps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
LACSTER
Major General
 
Drives: Hybrid
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: oc

Posts: 8,180
iTrader: (64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
LACSTER - Couldn't we do this on our 535 as well? Or have the shop cut off a little after the downpipe connection and weld a transition piece going from 2.25" to 3", then connect the M5 pipes from there back? Also, did you have to modify the sensor? Any issues with the CA trunk?
Sorry Topaz for the

You can but the piping for a M5/550i is completely different then a 535i so won't
be able to use the " Full M5 Exhaust " system. You can have your muffler shop do 3"
piping all the way from the cat but all you're going to do is loose back pressure due
to the increase pipe size. Here's a link to my 535i with M5 exhaust.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784642
LACSTER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
Hunter399
Major General
 
Hunter399's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 7,757
iTrader: (30)

Would really like to do this any chance you can get some pictures of the modifications?

Does the m5 and m6 use the same system?
Hunter399 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
CyclePimps
New Member
 
CyclePimps's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: dfw

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Sorry Topaz for the

You can but the piping for a M5/550i is completely different then a 535i so won't
be able to use the " Full M5 Exhaust " system. You can have your muffler shop do 3"
piping all the way from the cat but all you're going to do is loose back pressure due
to the increase pipe size. Here's a link to my 535i with M5 exhaust.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784642
Apologies Topaz.

First, no Dinan love and now no M5 piping love for the 535i
CyclePimps is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
Apologies Topaz.

First, no Dinan love and now no M5 piping love for the 535i

lol don't worry about it. we're here to help everyone out so its no big deal. Ask away. The s63 m5 engine and the n63 550engine are almost identical so thats why they bolt up with very minor mods. The 535 engine is totally different which is why its not compatible. Any exhaust shop can create something for you though no problem.
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #19
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
Would really like to do this any chance you can get some pictures of the modifications?

Does the m5 and m6 use the same system?
unfortantely i didn't take pics of the part that was modified. let me see if i have a pic of at least the whole bottom of the car when i get home
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

some more pics of the car now that the car is somewhat clean







__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #21
78mao
Major
 
78mao's Avatar
 
Drives: F10, F13, F80 en route to US
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Socal/Irvine

Posts: 1,016
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [0.00]
so the piping all the way is the same either than the bolts to the down pipes and sizing?

some good info to know for 550 and M5 or 650 and M6 since there arent many exhaust options available for 550 and 650, now we can interchange them in this case pretty much bolt on with little modification
__________________

thanks to www.lmted.com
78mao is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
topaz330
Private
 
Drives: 13 550ix
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mao View Post
so the piping all the way is the same either than the bolts to the down pipes and sizing?

some good info to know for 550 and M5 or 650 and M6 since there arent many exhaust options available for 550 and 650, now we can interchange them in this case pretty much bolt on with little modification
the piping is the same minus the downpipe connection and that the m5/m6 has a 3" diameter. besides that, they bolt up identically.
__________________
topaz330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST