2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LCI review

08-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

LCI review

I had the opportunity to thoroughly look at several LCI models while I was at my local dealership today for service. I saw the following, msport(535i, 535d, and 550i) and luxury(528i and 535i).

For reference, my current vehicle is a 2013 535i msport with the passive msport suspension.

All the comments below are just my humble opinion so I completely understand if your opinion differs.

Exterior:

1. Headlights- all the vehicles I saw had the standard xenon lights, not the full LED optional headlights. The one thing that stood out to me was the turn signal now uses a standard orange halogen bulb. Having a pre-LCI F10 with the nice LED turn signals, seems like this new standard headlight housing is a downgrade.

2. Grill- you have to be a true enthusiast to spot the difference, but the slats have a slightly different angle towards the top of the grill, not a big change here.

3. Lower front bumper- Fortunately unchanged on the msport(althought the fog lights on msport are now centered in their openings). The luxury models front bumper just looks busy, I thought maybe in real life it would look better than the pictures, but it doesn't. Too many lines, too much black plastic, and it doesn't flow well with the rest of the cars design. The cars were side by side with 2013 Models and the front bumper on non msport 2013's seem so much smoother, more fluid and classy. Again all personal preference but it just seems like the designers forced a design change that is not an improvement over the pre-LCI model.

4. Front fender turn signals- In my opinion, one of the terrible cost saving measures so that they won't have to re-stamp new fenders in the factory. Since moving the turn signal up to the mirror housing, they simply left a big piece of chrome plastic on the fender that serves no purpose. Where as in pre-LCI cars, the turn signal housing was both aesthetically pleasing but also purposeful in housing the turn signal, now it's just looks odd.

5. Wheels- unchanged in msport, in luxury trim both 528i & 535i was an improvement over the pre-LCI non msport wheels. All subjective, but I was never a fan of the 5 star 528i wheels or the multi-spoke 535i wheels on pre-LCI cars.

6. Rear bumper- Fortunately unchanged on msport. In luxury trim, it appears the designers were again forced to do something simply for the sake of saying its different. The chrome trim piece that goes across the entire rear bumper and wraps around the reflectors looks odd and contrived. It seems totally out of place and another example where the designers should have left the rear bumper alone.

7. Tail lights- Such a minor change almost unnoticeable. Was expecting a slight tint to them like on LCI 7 series, but its same red color as pre-LCI.

Interior

1. I-Drive- touch function is a gimmick that will wear off quickly. To me this seems like over-engineering. We didn't need a touch function and I doubt this feature will be used by many owners.

2. Steering wheel- unchanged on Luxury trim. In msport, I thought I would like the look of the steering wheel as I saw pictures, but in real life, the steering wheel seems very out of place on the 5 series. As I'm looking at the wheel, the dash, the gauges, something just doesn't look right. The steering wheel design is too slim & trim for a car of this size. I know some may disagree with me on this one, but just my opinion.

3. Trim pieces- again the designers added what I feel are unnecessary changes just for the sake of saying its different. Around each side of the navi screen are silver trim pieces that are not necessary and don't add anything to the interior except making things look busy.

4. Seats- both standard and multi contour seats are a nice improvement in looks, but not in function. The contrast stitching and overall look is nicer, more upscale, but the end result feels the same as pre-LCI.

Suspension

1. Msport- HUGE wheel gap. Very disappointed that they no longer offer the passive msport suspension. The LCI msport sits way higher than the 2013 with msport suspension.

2. Luxury- seems to be no major change in height, wheels gap, or overall look compared to pre-LCI.

Unfortunately the dealership didn't allow for test drives of the LCI cars as they had not yet completed the dealership inspection of them so I can't offer my opinion on how the LCI msport handles compared to the 2013 msport with msport suspension.

As a pre-LCI owner, My overall opinion of the LCI F10 is that the designers had an impossible task of making a perfect design better. Unfortunately, some of the thing they did were simply change for the sake of change, which didn't translate into good design decisions. Thankfully they left the msport design alone for the most part, but took away the stance and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
beemer3
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Nice comparison. You mentioned the front turn signals with the standard xenon's are no longer LED, but are the rear turn signals still LED? Also, does the LCI multi-contour seats have adjustable side bolsters now for the U.S. models?

Last edited by beemer3; 08-11-2013 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Great write up and I agree with the turn signals. That's just lazy to put a useless chrome piece on the fenders.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Good writeup, thanks. The wheel gap is gigantic on the new M Sports and an angering deal breaker right there. Just when they finally got it right with a tight and snug wheel gap on the M suspension ('13) M Sports.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
Suspension

1. Msport- HUGE wheel gap. Very disappointed that they no longer offer the passive msport suspension. The LCI msport sits way higher than the 2013 with msport suspension.
Where is this huge wheel gap coming from? Wasn't the M-sport suspension only 10mm lower than base suspension?

Can't find a BMW reference for the specific drop on latest LCI models, just a "lowered suspension" reference for M-sport suspension in the UK.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
K-A
Nice
Rep

When you put larger wheels on a higher suspension, it exacerbates it.

I seriously think that BMW is very much conservatively stating how much lower the M suspension sits. Not only does the LCI M Sport on "Base" suspension LOOK about 2" higher, but about 10+ people who've reported seeing the two next to each other state that it actually IS 1.5-2" higher (one said he could fit his whole fist through the LCI M Sport wheel gap, which numerous pictures show can easily be the case). I also measured my M suspension to be a good 1.5" lower than a member who got an LCI M Sport.

Whatever the difference technically is, it certainly *LOOKS* night and day in difference (higher).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
When you put larger wheels on a higher suspension, it exacerbates it.

I seriously think that BMW is very much conservatively stating how much lower the M suspension sits. Not only does the LCI M Sport on "Base" suspension LOOK about 2" higher, but about 10+ people who've reported seeing the two next to each other state that it actually IS 1.5-2" higher (one said he could fit his whole fist through the LCI M Sport wheel gap, which numerous pictures show can easily be the case). I also measured my M suspension to be a good 1.5" lower than a member who got an LCI M Sport.

Whatever the difference technically is, it certainly *LOOKS* night and day in difference (higher).
See where you are coming from....

Looks and measurements are two different things, and optical illusions from rim size are not ride height dimensions either, as we know.

Is some of this 'illusion' also showroom examples not settled to road height due to transportation blocks, etc.?

We hear that the F30 xDrive models are riding high compared to M-sport suspensions, as if it is the end of the world and deal breakers to some users. But let's be real here, it is only 10mm, (BMW figures) so a lot of drama about virtually nothing.

I have had my car (Adaptive Drive) parked near M-sport models with passive M-sport suspension and there is not a lot of visual difference. I suppose the only way to get data is measuring "wheel centre to fender arch" as BMW use for geometry settings, and see what the physical dimensions are across models. Take dimensions from both sides, as a bit of body lean can make it look so different anyway.

As a start... I'll give my F11 2011 535i M-sport (with AD) front wheel "wheel centre to fender arch" dimension as 400mm (15 3/4") passenger side, 390mm (15 3/8") driver's side, as the car was reversed onto my driveway. I'll take it again as a 'roll forward' dimension when out on the road.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

so i had a chance to inspect the lci 5 series this morning. the dealership i was at had both models side by side so here is the height comparison

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
K-A
Nice
Rep

Is the 2013 an xdrive? Even if so, you can definitely notice a lower stance than the white one. Though my 2013 sits even lower (less gap) than the 2013 pictured there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

both vehicles are 535i with m package. no x drive. i think the wheel gap is only about 10mm difference (non m height for previous years).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

One thing regarding the new idrive, is that the knob it much bigger and therefor more difficult to push the buttons in front of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer3 View Post
Nice comparison. You mentioned the front turn signals with the standard xenon's are no longer LED, but are the rear turn signals still LED? Also, does the LCI multi-contour seats have adjustable side bolsters now for the U.S. models?
Rear turn signals are still LED.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure on both of these. Will take a closer look tomorrow when I go to pick up my car from service.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Luminor513
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Good writeup, thanks. The wheel gap is gigantic on the new M Sports and an angering deal breaker right there. Just when they finally got it right with a tight and snug wheel gap on the M suspension ('13) M Sports.
Agreed. I don't know if an LCI msport is in my future when my lease ends. I'll hold off final comments until I get to drive the LCI msport.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

The wheel gap issue is overblown. I carefully measured, and the LCI is 3/8" higher in the rear and 5/8" higher in the front when compared to the 2013 MSport. The gap is essentially the same as the 2013 non-MSport which I measured on my next door neighbors 2013 5 series.
      08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor
The wheel gap issue is overblown. I carefully measured, and the LCI is 3/8" higher in the rear and 5/8" higher in the front when compared to the 2013 MSport. The gap is essentially the same as the 2013 non-MSport which I measured on my next door neighbors 2013 5 series.
its not if you paid for an msport packace under the impression you would get a m suspension.
      08-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #16
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

The slightly larger kidney grilles and the additional articulation on the lower portion of the front fascia look awesome. It is a significant improvement. I used the new touch controller when I did Euro Delivery earlier this month and the new controller is awesome. The touch feature works extremely well and is a big plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #17
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Everything I expected before pulling the trigger on my '13 Msport. Thanks for the write up
      08-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The slightly larger kidney grilles and the additional articulation on the lower portion of the front fascia look awesome. It is a significant improvement. I used the new touch controller when I did Euro Delivery earlier this month and the new controller is awesome. The touch feature works extremely well and is a big plus.
The kidneys are actually identically sized. They just appear bigger because there's 10 slats in each as opposed to 12.

I would love those new slats on mine. A very subtle difference no one will really notice but the beauty of the F10 is in its subtly and details, and they look fresh to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
+1?

I'd like to know this too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
+1?

I'd like to know this too. Thanks!
Yes, my U.S. LCI 535i multi contour seats have adjustable side bolsters. They're not dynamic, but they are adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
Yes, my U.S. LCI 535i multi contour seats have adjustable side bolsters. They're not dynamic, but they are adjustable.
That is so awesome. I complained every time I got a chance to BMW to bring these side bolsters back, and wow, they listened. It's good to know they pay attention to their customers opinions.

I tried to suggest some improvements to my Toyota truck, and Toyota USA said they didn't take suggestions from customers, but only "their" engineering and tech team. How stupid is that!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Led Vs Xenon

Are the LED brighter than Xenon, seems like the LCI is a fail with removing the LED turns that made the 11-13 more classy on Xenon. LED is the way to go now.

I agree the metal on the bumpers is not classy, rather it looks gaudy in pictures. I still have not seen a 14 in person though, so I should wait until I make a final comment on it. BUt PRE LCI is looking like the better value if you like the classic lines of the 11-13 non M sport, which I always have.

I am also disappointed they didnt clean up the rear bumper on the M sport. F30 335i M sport is much cleaner and looks better IMHO. But you must also deal with the smaller size of the 3 which many of you do not like, so I guess its a wash.
Appreciate 0