09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Well, I find these modes silly anyway, when going fast on a track you like to have it dstc completely off, which forces car to comfort mode.
For faster and a more "sporty" gearchange I can flip the gearlever to S mode.
Further, I like to know how much a certain angle on the gas pedal gives you, having 12 variants is just confusing and silly.
Are you sure that choosing "DSTC off" also forces car to Comfort mode? It sure doesn't on my car... Regardless of mode when I choose "DSTC off", it switches to the Sport+ settings plus DSTC off (obviously). The display shows DSTC off (and not Sport or Sport+), but it IS in Sport+ mode!

How do I know?

Because steering is more responsive, throttle is more responsive and the kick down and upshift at redline functions are disabled, just as in Sport+ mode.

And, you don't have 12 different variants/settings for the throttle
It's either standard or sport... And I really prefer the more responsive throttle response of Sport and neither do I have any problem coping with 2 different throttle responses

But I agree that on a 520d (that I also used to have) the engine's response and power doesn't really suit the more spirited settings or driving of Sport or Sport+

I didn't really use the manual shifting or Sport modes on my 520d either, as it wasn't really that noticeable. That is one of the nice things I have found with my current 3l petrol engine, it's so much more enjoyable to drive in Sport and Sport+ than the diesel version. And the difference between settings is also much more enjoyable

But on a F30 320d that I tested the Sport mode really made a noticeable change that I preferred over the Comfort setting.
Appreciate 0