07-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #86
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
So I need to be smart with it, in the fact that it really may not work, regardless of what I do. The MAF flanges I have now are welded to 3.00" aluminum tubing, and it "will" fit in all the tight spots as far as I know currently. I think 2.50" tubing would fit even better, but I would need to pay for another pair of flanges to be fabricated (not cheap).

I've checked the tubing will fit in the front of the car, though the rectangular, thin plastic piece directly behind both grills will need to be removed (it broke with force and came right out, though removing the front bumper would probably get it out with minimal effort).

I've checked that 3.00" tubing will fit through the front hole below the hood latch on either side, my guess without pieces in hand is a straight section and a short 45 degree bend will fit through coming from the engine compartment through the hole.

So at this point that takes care of filters all the way into the engine compartment, just below the forward strut braces.

Working the other end, I have the MAF flanges on hand, and the charge elbows that I hooked them to are an interesting hurdle. The elbows aren't anything that can't be worked around, but trial fitting a combination of pieces to serve their purpose can get expensive, with no guarantee that the new piece will even work. My "plan" is to fit the MAF flanges I have to 180 degree mandrel elbows as discussed in my previous post. The problem, also discussed is the fact that the smallest radius mandrel 3.00" elbows are massive still.

From there, assuming the 180's will fit under the hood, is to connect the two ends together.

I have a few more ideas, but this will probably be my first route.
Lets see what happens! keep us posted.