View Single Post
      07-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #100
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

I have a base model 2011 535i with the 6MT, and about 59,000 miles on the odometer. Yesterday, I accelerated briskly through a merge/transition and promptly got a yellow check engine light, the little yellow triangle, and a drive train malfunction warning on the main screen. The car was running like crap. I pulled over and turned the car off, hoping it would reset itself, but no joy. I drove a couple miles to pick up my kids from daycare, the car didn't want to go above about 40mph in 3rd or 4th gear. A longer stop at daycare also didn't fix the problem, so limped the car home (about 5 miles). Later that evening when it had sat for a while and cooled off, I tried again, still running rough and all the warnings. This afternoon, I took it to the AutoZone that is a couple miles from my house. On start up, I still had all the warnings and it was idling rough. But it smoothed out, and although the check engine light was still on, the DTM went away.

AutoZone pulled code P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire. I guess I will have to swap some plugs and/or coilpacks.

EDIT: Will the check engine light clear after a number of start/stop cycles, or miles driven without misfires on cylinder 2, or do I need to have the code cleared?

EDIT 2: In answer to my own question, yes the check engine light will clear itself. I drove the car to work today, making a couple stops along the way to drop the kids off at daycare. By the time I got to work the CEL was gone.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i

Last edited by mko9; 07-22-2016 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0