View Single Post
      11-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
I am pleasantly surprised with the 535D M S on 19 inch wheels with Michelin Primacy run-flats, really quiet and comfortable in any mode.
Roads here are crap but this car handles them well.
Would be interesting to compare how your car would work up here. There have been improvements to the suspension settings, you run a different damper (later models) than my period of build.

I tried several suspension and wheel combinations back in 2910 - 11, and although 19" had a better feel on reasonably good roads, once road quality deteriorated, 18" were a better compromise. If I drove on better roads, I'd likely be on 19" wheels, as driving in Wiltshire (which l do), the suspension is far less challenged than up here.

Today l've been up the A82 to Inverness, even the 17" wheels are severely put to the test, and they run a more supple ride than the 18" wheels. 19" wheels would mess with the car's composure and suspension would get noisy. Why I say that, a test drive with 19" wheels and AD, on similar road scars and broken surfaces in an F10, couldn't cope too well. Fine until you get the typical broken road type I drive, then it begins to fall apart. 18" wheels widen the envelope, 17" even more.

I await test drives in the G30 to see how BMW engineers have improved the suspensions, to have a wider working envelope than the F10/11, on the bigger wheels.
Appreciate 0