View Single Post
      08-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #29
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
I've been running the H&R springs in my 535i xdrive for a little over a year. In case you are thinking of doing the same, I want to set down the results of my little experiment.
First, the look is outstanding, and didn't stop me in 4 inches of snow. Second, ride is wonderful over smooth pavement, particularly when cornering: floatiness banished.
Potholes and pavement ridges are something entirely different. Ten minutes after I had the springs installed I hit a 1 1/2 inch high pavement ridge where the road was being resurfaced: the springs compressed right up to the stops with an incredible bang. I honestly thought the front end was going to be lying on the road. I had driven over the same ridge with the stock springs an hour and a half earlier, no issue.
It turned out that this was no anomaly. I learned to devote 3/4's of my driving attention to spotting and avoiding potholes and ridges, and not always successfully. All these bump-stop banging events were very hard on the car and shocked the hell out of a couple of passengers who looked around like we'd been in a front end collision. When I replaced my summer tires, both my brand new Avant Garde bespoke series rims on the front -- put them on at the same time as the H&R springs -- were so out of round they couldn't be balanced, and had to be sent out for straightening. Two months later, I started hearing clicking noises in the left front axle shaft when turning -- replaced on warranty. Four months' later, right front axle shaft started clicking, also replaced on warranty (I have a very long-standing relationship with my BMW dealer).
Conclusion: don't.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3816.50