01-27-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I think there's a couple of layers of questions here....

A car with option 2TB has the "Sport Automatic Transmission". Over the years I've seen all kinds of assertions about whether the hardware is different, software is different, or if it's just things like paddles, shifter knobs, whether the display shows "DS" or "S1" and on and on.

The functions/features concerning the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ switch are completely separate, but related.

My car does not have 2TB. My car does not have a Comfort/Sport switch (which is fine by me). I have driven cars with 2TB. I can tell you that there's a definite difference in the shift programs. For clarity, when I say "shift program" I do not mean the RPM at which a shift occurs. I mean the way the transmission shifts - speed, pressures, type of engine power retard etc.... The 2TB is always faster shifting, even in the most lazy shift program (comfort, D, very light acceleration). The 2TB most aggressive shift program is FAR faster and more aggressive than the most aggressive shift program on my 205.

I have coded my car for 2TB in order to get paddles functional and play with the S1,S2,S3 display mode. There was NO difference in the shift programs, or in the shift points (RPM) in either D or S. My option 205 car had the same three shift programs it always had, and none are as aggressive at the 2TB.

Based on experience and observation behind the wheel/stick, but without authoritative factory training, I have to say that the 2TB seems quite different from the 205 in ways that coding doesn't fix. I do not know if the mechatronic is actually different, or if there's just different firmware. On E90s there were discussions about flashing Alpina firmware to transmissions and whatnot. I've never seen equivalent conversations about converting a 205 to a 2TB in any way, but maybe the data is out there.

So coding will get you S1, S2, S3 and activate paddles if you're retrofitting, but it won't change the actual transmission or the way it shifts.
There is no hardware difference; the actual transmissions are identical. The ONLY difference is in the software, i.e. removing 205 and replacing it with 2TB in the VO. Some coding is required to enable the paddle shifters to work properly; I did it on my 2012. It's all in the coding section...
Appreciate 0