View Single Post
      06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #33
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've seen the BMW price to the dealer, still eye watering. For the paying customer, from prices I've seen for European supply, around £1,200 a pair before added bolts, etc., fitting, programming and VAT.
It's a brave person that runs one of these without a warranty IMO, especially the higher specification ones with lots of expensive, electronic options.

For sure, some will pipe up and say they use a slush fund and if they don't have to claim then it's money in the bank. Sure. However, an issue on one of these cars can use up several year's worth of the slush fund pot at main dealer prices... A HUD failure? Gearbox issue? Cylinder head problem? Active suspension issue? All of these issues are in the £thousands to put right. And if you get two issues? Or get one early into the slush fund where there is not enough money yet in the pot to pay?

Each of us have to weigh the risk and balance it accordingly. I paid £850 or so with £100 excess. I am moving over to monthly payment next year.

EDIT: I'd also add that even if you take the car to an Indy to look after it for you, for sure they can fix a lot of issues. But other than general consumables like pads, disks, filters etc, most serious engine, gearbox and suspension parts still have to be bought from BMW and as HighlandPete says, the costs of the parts are eye-watering. I needed a Cam sensor on my old Z4. £160 + VAT just for the part, the size of a 50P piece. The other thing with Indy's, for some intermittent faults, they will try this, try that and try the other, all at your expense. With the BMW warranty? They can try away at their hearts content; the warranty company are paying. Something to keep in mind.

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT

Last edited by shiner; 06-26-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0